Sign in to follow this  
Trotski

Skins not working

Hi everyone, just a couple of queries, :idea: Firstly I have downloaded just about every skin for the Fokker DVIII, and they all work perfectly except for two, the Goering snow white, and the Jasta 74 Hippert skins, when ever I select them, I just get the blank aircraft....very peculiar :dntknw: , as, as I said all the other ones seem to work spot on :good: any body go any clues on this for me, 'cos I dont reall want to delete 'em.

My second question is, how do you open lod files ?...or to be more accurate, what do I USE to open them.....I want to mod the Bristol MC1 and add the very visable Vickers on the cowl, as there isnt one in the MC1 that I have, also I want to remove that VERY VERy annoying Lewis gun of the top planr of the Bristol Fighter......it was not a very common thing, so I want it gone !! also I would like to chop and change some bits about...ie twin guns in the observers cockpit etc etc. :grin:

I am very very new to all this, and I am making lots of mistakes, however, I am getting there, so any advice would be much appreciated

Ta very muchly

Marc :drinks:

I'm fairly sure LOD files, like the M3D files used by CFS3 and OFF, cannot be reverse-engineered, perhaps to protect the work of the creators. That said, there may be a GMX plug-in somewhere that would enable such files to be imported back in and edited, with the owner's permission presumably, otherwise I'd guess this could be a big 'no-no'. You could just ask the owner to make the change - the A Team have a forum for such requests and they recently moved forward the rudder of the Halb 'DIII' on WhiteKnight's request. Me, I'd like the Lewis guns gone on the F2B too, maybe a petition...:) Also the Spandau on the Walfisch replaced by a Parabellum, a more representative exhaust on the Pfalz DIII/DIIIa and a DH4 with a lower polygon count. But that'd be icing on the cake and I don't want to seem ungrateful or pedantic to the talented bakers!

Not sure why your skins aren't showing, not my field. Have a vague recollection of needing to add 'textureset' entries to the plane's [plane_name].ini file, when adding new skins, but that may be wrong. Suggest a close comaprison of the files, paths etc for a DVII skin which is working, with those for one which is not.

About the F2B wing Lewis: In Peter01 FMs there is the F2Ba variant, (275Hp and no overwing Lewis).

If you want more, you can download my F2B pack from here, and then have the 190 and 220Hp versions as well. I have added a second (virtual only, sorry) machine gun for the observer in the 220 and 275 Hp versions and corrected the POV in cockpit as well. All three versions are all versions used in Armchair aces 1917 and 1918.

as long as you can find the mesh name in the out file it's pretty easy to remove parts from a plane via the data.ini edit "trick" also the A-team has some WW1 "gun pods" that include a vickers. you can add it to the model via the "fake pilot" trick.

Thanks for the replies guys, Ocjar I do have your Brisfits, and I am really looking forward to using them, as for the twin Lewis guns, I am sure that there are other aircraft out there that do have them ( the Salmson I think is one ) so is it not possible to "borrow the textures etc from that A/C and apply it to the Brisfit ? just an idea, als one of the other things I want to do is modify the Fokker DIII a I believe it actually had a double banked rotary a la Eindecker IVa as for getting stuff from Skunkworks, I seem to be having a few problems there, or at least Naster Capun does, as he is saying my emails are bouncing, whatever that means :idea::yikes:

33Lima, yes mate, I am up for a lobby of our most esteemed modders, they are a pretty helpful and receptive bunch, it would seem !!!!

Ok Whiteknight, how do I actually Identify the particular mesh that I am after ?

Cheers chaps Marc

you have to look in the "out" file ,if there is one available" and hope that the mesh your looking for is labled as something you recognize like "topwing_L or something. Otherwise you will have to use trial and error.have a look at the Nieuport 17 with the wing mounter lewis,it has entries added in the gun section that edit out the deck mounted vickers mg and it has the wing mounted lewis added as a "pilot". as for adding an extra lewis to the brisfit visualy or fixing the radial engine on the Foker D.III that would require the original modler or someone with access to his original max files to redo the model. once exported to lod format it's essentialy imposible to redo the models.

Oh ok, better get my skates on and learn to make me own then lol lol lol , before FE 3 comest out hahahaha, thanks for the heads up on the out files, will have a play and see what I come up with

Hi Marc - Quack74 has just posted a set of Brisfits (needing only the .LOD file from the original model); 3 out of 4 have no centre section Lewis and he has removed the mount as well as the weapon. I had to copy an existing engine sound as I don't have the Proploop3.wav these use; but otherwise they work fine for me and the dark chocolate brown scheme looks better than the original washed-out green, to my eyes;

http://combatace.com...48-and-62-sqns/

They are beautiful! But the FM is only the 275 Hp version and have the old POV in the cockpit, and don't have my "second virtual observer Lewis". So I have Reverse-engennered the remove-Lewis-mount trick, and I'm going to update my Bristol package, so you can have all three versions working (190, 220 and 275 Hp). I suggest combine it with Quack skins (some edit will be requider in the Decals data), so you could have best of two worlds!

Edited by ojcar

Just downloaded 'em now, thanks for the heads up !!! I had to completely start from scratch anyhow, so at the moment I am scratching my noggin, and trying to work out how to get the Sockel flak 37, the 1 pounder vickers maxim, and the Flaming onions chucker to work along with the vickers and parabellum AAA.....seems to be some conflict in the ini files by the looks of things, or can you not get all of 'em to work at the same time ?.......confustimacated as per usual !!!!

Good to hear Ojcar, would be good to have the better cockpit PoV, especially.

Marc, I dunno about the Flaming Onions and pom-pom but I noticed that Ojcar's Armchair Aces, if installed with the recommended mods, has the AA MGs working (they saved my bacon in a Rumpler CI campaign when two of got mobbed near a friandly airfield by some rather unfriendly RFC Martinsydes and Fees, by orbiting over the ground guns till they brought down most of my attackers. Cost me a lot of holes and a dead observer!). It may be possible to get all working by editing the targets.ini or wherever they are set, but just how dangerous do you want ground fire to be???!! The Archie I can live with but not the MGs now they're there too, unless I stay well over a thousand feet!

I am just a glutton for tinkering, basicly want to replace some of the stock Archie, with the onion chucker, and the pom pom, but as with everything, to no avail.......as for those bloody AAG's arrrrrgh they are NARSTIE !!!! had my bum shot to tatters a couple of times by the buggers, only got 'em installed in Cambrai and Verdun, so if I want to live a bit longer I go to Flanders , or Lemberg, Vogesen or even Gib !!! a wee bit safer there !! as the archie gunners couldnt hit a pig up the butt with a banjo :good: as for the onion chucker and pom poms, it has got to be someting top do with the ini, as they are just place holders for the afore mentioned arse shredders , so what I need to figure out is how to get them to work as WELL as the butt munchers if ya get my drift ?

Hi Marc - Quack74 has just posted a set of Brisfits (needing only the .LOD file from the original model); 3 out of 4 have no centre section Lewis and he has removed the mount as well as the weapon. I had to copy an existing engine sound as I don't have the Proploop3.wav these use; but otherwise they work fine for me and the dark chocolate brown scheme looks better than the original washed-out green, to my eyes;

http://combatace.com...48-and-62-sqns/

Sorry about the "PropLoop3". I've messed w my planes so much I dont know whats original anymore. I keep forgetting about stuff like that :blink:

Sorry about the "PropLoop3". I've messed w my planes so much I dont know whats original anymore. I keep forgetting about stuff like that :blink:

No worries, thank YOU for the excellent skin packs, Quack. I'm firmly on the 'PC10 was BROWN, not green!!!' side of the debate (tho slighty-greenish-brown, as well as the chocolate confirmed by AG Lee, is fine by me too) and the subtly weathered look of your Biff's cowls is good too, never mind the extra squadron markings!

:drinks: