Can anyone tell me where to get the Zeppelin for use in OFF please?

I cannot find it in my downloads anywhere...I must have deleted it sometime!

Thanks Muchly! :good:

I'll have one somewhere... I'll check soon as I can.

thanks m8 :good:

Should this man really be given a Zeppelin? I have reason to believe he will try to shoot it down, given the opportunity. :grin:

You have an email UKW.

Don't worry Hasse Wind, it's an old one of mine, and shot so full of holes he'll never get it to inflate.

Many thanks m8 :drinks:

Should this man really be given a Zeppelin? I have reason to believe he will try to shoot it down, given the opportunity. :grin:

thats the 'plan' :rofl::good:

:salute: Looking out into the Skies around Newcastle upon Tyne, I can see what looks to be a burning cigar issuing clouds of Black Smoke Thru hundreds of Bullet Holes falling to earth.

WM, the 'Zeppelins Over Paris" mission is still available in the OFF Downloads section. Ready to go for you once you have your Zep files installed.

thanks chaps...havent had a chance to install it yet...damn life keeps interupting!

No worries. It should be fine, but it's taken from a Boys of 60 Mission pack, and I don't know if PD or Stump modified it in any way. I think the Zep is straight out the box and OFF friendly...

The Zep works beautifully in P3. I have used it in numerous missions without issue. Just be sure to drop the Zep pylons and weapons into the respective OFF 'pylons' and 'weapons' folders, otherwise you will have a no-go.

The Zep works beautifully in P3. I have used it in numerous missions without issue. Just be sure to drop the Zep pylons and weapons into the respective OFF 'pylons' and 'weapons' folders, otherwise you will have a no-go.

I believe I also packed it up (and the Missions for it) in my Madmatt's Essential Multiplayer Files Mod that should still be available on CombatAce's dload section.

Yup, here it is:

http://combatace.com/files/file/9131-madmatts-over-flanders-fields-essential-multiplayer-files-autoinstaller/

Thank you Gents...much appreciated

Anybody listen to the BBC Podcasts about WW1? The latest one featured first hand witnesses of Zeppelins over Britain.

By all accounts it sounded like an express train overhead.

There was also considerable cheers and celebrations to see the first one shot down over London. (It wasn't just London or the route towards London that was hit, Nottingham, Hull, and other places were bombed too. Never knew that really).

One lady described one as a silver cigar in the sky when flame suddenly apppeared. Cheers went up as people realised it was hit, and next the whole thing was in flames but hung there for a long, long time. It gradually fell to pieces and still in flames it slowly fell to earth.

It's another one of those war time sights which features people dying, but at the same time, it must have been a spectacular thing to see.- But it doesn't sound like shooting one down caused a Boom! type explosion.

Edited by Flyby PC

Is P4 - OFF 2 going to have Zeps?

Not a request, - just an enquiry.

Anybody listen to the BBC Podcasts about WW1? The latest one featured first hand witnesses of Zeppelins over Britain.

By all accounts it sounded like an express train overhead.

There was also considerable cheers and celebrations to see the first one shot down over London. (It wasn't just London or the route towards London that was hit, Nottingham, Hull, and other places were bombed too. Never knew that really).

One lady described one as a silver cigar in the sky when flame suddenly apppeared. Cheers went up as people realised it was hit, and next the whole thing was in flames but hung there for a long, long time. It gradually fell to pieces and still in flames it slowly fell to earth.

It's another one of those war time sights which features people dying, but at the same time, it must have been a spectacular thing to see.- But it doesn't sound like shooting one down caused a Boom! type explosion.

It was a coastal town..possibly Scunthorpe or somewhere on the East Coast, that had the most casualties from a Zeppelin attack I think

There were many Zeppelin raids on England during the War, and the terror they caused amongst the British population was the prime reason the brass hats called several frontline squadrons back home, (squadrons that were desperately needed in France). It was a Herculean task that fell upon the RNAS and RFC, attempting to not only intercept a Zeppelin as it glided high above its targets but also to try and shoot it down, and they did a stellar job at it given how little they had to work with and the vast area they were expected to 'protect'. However, the public didn't see it that way, and HQ didn't do much to inform them otherwise. Raleigh and Jones' epic research work "The War in the Air" devotes a good portion of one of it's seven volumes to the air raids on Britain, and one of the map cases is nearly all charts of the different attacks. Here is one such example describing one of the raids on the Tyne, along with the accompanying map:

Airship_Raid_0n_Tyne_15-Jun-1915.jpg

Airship_Raids_14-Apr-1915_15-Jun-1915.jpg

Notice the length of the route for the 15 June, 1915 raid, and the amount of time the L10 was over enemy territory. Yet only two aeroplanes of the RNAS were despatched, neither of which ever found the airship. You can bet that civilians back on the ground had plenty to say about those aircrews not shooting down the Hun attacker. Totally unfair, but likely said none-the-less.

Fantastic Lou...and, I can see where my house is on that Map!

I never knew they bombed my town!

I had a hunch this one was right up in your area WM, which was why I exampled it. So where is your family manse on that map?

Yes, fantastic Lou.

I had always assumed these were little more than nuisance raids. It's late in the day to be discovering they were considerably more serious than that. They even raided Scotland in 1916. I never even knew it.

I also believe for all that talk about anti-aircraft artillery and air defence, in the early days, the simple altitude of the Zeppelin meant these were ineffective, and Zeppelins could attack at leisurely pace with virtual impunity.

That all changed of course....

Yes Flyby, it did all change as the War progressed, which brought about the switch to heavy bombers like the Gothas. But early on the Zeppelins' only real threat came from the weather.

Hmm, reading up, there were about 50 raids on Britain, and they weren't considered stategically valuable apart from scaring the population, (which they did). There were however over 1000 patrols over the North Sea scouting for shipping activity and mine laying, and even on occassion dropping to low level to pick up men from ships, or search ships for contraband.

It's quite interesting, because the way these the Zeps actually fly in CFS3, if you let them get away from you, you have a devil of a job getting altitude to take them on. I often wondered whether it was a realistic engagement in a combat Sim to catch a Zeppelin when vulnerable at low level, or even chase a Zeppelin as it raced to climb away out of danger. Unless you caught it on the ground at take off, I presumed it wouldn't normally be the type of target you'd typically engage. But if they did drop down to interact with shipping, then it is indeed quite a reasonable supposition to make, although I imagine the airship captain would pick any such locations for a landing very carefully.

Despite the Hydrogen and Blaugas filling, they weren't easy to set on fire either, and it was only after incendiary bullets were invented that they could be brought down. The ships were rigid, and filled with hydrogen or blaugas (propane like) cells, so if the gas burned rather than exploded, there wouldn't be one massive fireball, but several slightly less massive fireballs, and each cell would succumb to the flames in turn, meaning I suppose it could indeed stay bouyant for some time while burning, as bits of rigid structure fell away. Quite a horrific way to go if you think about it...

The Zeps, Gothas and all the other bombers did succeed in forcing the British to invest heavily into home defense units. All those aircraft, AA guns, machine guns, and the personnel operating and maintaining them could have been used elsewhere against the Central Powers. This benefited Germany, but not very much in the end. And the damage done to cities, shipping, industry and civilian population was very limited, especially compared to the strategic bombings of WW2, which caused massive destruction and had a serious impact on the war efforts of countries like Germany and Japan.

Flyby, to see how a WWI Zep might have burned you need only look at the archival footage of the Hindenburg disaster. The fire swept from end-to-end in scant seconds. Horrific way to go indeed.

Hasse Wind, you are correct about the amount of damage inflicted by the WWI raids when compared to WWII bombing techniques. But remember, in 1914-15 Britain still though of herself as an island fortress, and the Zep raids shattered that illusion in the minds of the public in a very stark way. The minor amount of actual damage was far overshadowed by the sudden realization that the country was now vunerable in a whole new way.