Better add Mi-24s if you want to keep it "by the book". Also if I remember right, it was the USAF who make the first strikes on Iceland with F-111s from Greenland. The Buffs stood off with the "music on" and pumped out chaff. Got the Mig-29s to scramble to intercept the B-52s while the F-111s (or was it F-4s) came in low and took out a radar installation or SAM sight. Its been a while since I last RSR. I started it on an international flight and couldn't put it down.

Dave: I got some progress with that. If you want, you can send me your files and I will have a look.

In short; intelligence is crucial to trigger anti-ship strikes. Soviets need to know about the convoy to hit it ! In NA, you are shooting down Recce flights for that reason. If you raise the Intelligence of the convoy, the Soviets will know of it. I tested it at 100; and Task Forces was attacked on the first mission. Its either raising it or giving the Soviets A LOT of Recce flights as one is just not enought to raise the intelligence that much.

If you want the abovementioned result; I would suggest a limited operation time for the bombers. After that, Ground Forces spawn. Depending on if you want other flights avalible; you can spawn squadrons that attack on land then. If you want them flyable; that part is trickier but should work with the RunCampaignBeforePlayerStart=TRUE command.

Well that fixed it, changed the intel on them and the very first mission was a convoy strike. Thank you my friend.

Will you guys put the fictional F-19 as anti AWACS role like in the book?

Falcon

I think the bugs with mission generation, are effecting these missions that are needed with this campaign.

Maybe not.

Naval Strikes sends us off the map, but works of AI when we are not looking; right. I think Naval Strike - at least in my case - is meant for bigger fish. I am going to try to make the Cargo Ships into something a little more important and see what happens :)

Will you guys put the fictional F-19 as anti AWACS role like in the book?

Falcon

I was thinking about it. If not the F-117A will be in for sure.

Well I got the campaign working perfectly. So thats one hurdle out of the way. Now on to the individual missions from the book. That's going to be the hard part.

Avionics completed. Will be uploading in a few.

I was thinking about it. If not the F-117A will be in for sure.

But wasn't that in Germany side of the conflict? Dave this is a great idea this mod; Also adding submarines would be awesome. Which terrain will be used, gerwin's modded one? hmm maybe I shoudl really install sf2na and get to work, this is a great project..

Right now I'm using the terrain that came with NA. I have been following gerwins progress with great interest. As far as the F-117 goes yes that was on the Germany side but there is always room to expand.

Better add Mi-24s if you want to keep it "by the book". Also if I remember right, it was the USAF who make the first strikes on Iceland with F-111s from Greenland. The Buffs stood off with the "music on" and pumped out chaff. Got the Mig-29s to scramble to intercept the B-52s while the F-111s (or was it F-4s) came in low and took out a radar installation or SAM sight. Its been a while since I last RSR. I started it on an international flight and couldn't put it down.

I don't have any MI-24 to use. Caesar and I are using the book as a guide but adding our twists to it to make it fun. My plan is to make specific missions from the book with the mission editor. Lots to do and TK provided a great canvas to work with.

Need a terrain gurus help....I need the front line where the blue line is. That is the start of the campaign and I need to set it up so the US sides loses Keflavik after the first mission. Then on the 2nd mission of the campaign, that is where the 2 Mig-29 units go. Am I stretching the campaign engine too far for this idea? Would it be better to set it up as a single mission and then have the campaign start with Mig-29's already there. The blue X's are airfield that need to be removed as such too. So they do not get used. Need some ideas fellas. :blink:

cause the stock movement ini dosen't have start/stop positions??

removing the airfields is easy ... clone the base that sits there, give it a 0 point value (like we did for the ChiCom bases in Korea), and just replace that types callout with the 'null unit'

tell me the bases, and I'll whip out a null base

OTH ...

maybe waiting for the patch to arrive? Just in case it changes more things....

edit: change the base alignments to NEUTRAL ... no other editing needed (of couse, they'll be unsuable forevermore)

Edited by Wrench

they werent' 117s in the book .. they were F-19s (oddly, 2 seaters!)

I'm like Dave ... know the book (almost) backwards and forwrds

cause the stock movement ini dosen't have start/stop positions??

removing the airfields is easy ... clone the base that sits there, give it a 0 point value (like we did for the ChiCom bases in Korea), and just replace that types callout with the 'null unit'

tell me the bases, and I'll whip out a null base

OTH ...

maybe waiting for the patch to arrive? Just in case it changes more things....

edit: change the base alignments to NEUTRAL ... no other editing needed (of couse, they'll be unsuable forevermore)

Thanks for volunteering Kevin...I'll expect your report in the morning.... :blink::grin:

Also you will like this....NYANG F-4D, as they were going to Hill scheme in 1986. They provided SEAD for the Buff raid. I found one pic of them in that color.

Looks great Dave and it's one of my favorite sequences in the book:

...They were Phantom jets of the New York Air National Guard,

configured as Wild Weasel SAM-killers. While Russian attention

was on the converging bomber raid, they skimmed over hilltops

and down valleys, using the crenelated landscape to mask their

low-level approach. The back-seat crewman in each aircraft

counted the missile radars, selecting the most dangerous

targets. When they got to within ten miles of Keflavik, they

popped up high and fired a salvo of Standard-ARM antiradar

missiles.

The Russians were caught by surprise. Laboring to direct

missile fire at the bombers, they didn't expect a two-part

raid. The incoming missiles were not detected. Three of the

ARMs found targets, killing two search radars and a missile launch

vehicle. One launch commander turned his vehicle around

and trained manually on the new threat. The Phantoms jammed

his fire-control radar, leaving behind a series of chaff

clouds as they came in at thirty-foot height. As each pilot

raced to the target area assigned to him, he conducted a hasty

visual search. One saw an undamaged SAM launcher and streaked

toward it, dropping Rockeye cluster bomb canisters that fell

short but spread over a hundred bomblets all over the area.

The SA-11 launcher exploded in his wake; its crew never knew

what had happened. A thousand yards beyond it was a mobile

antiaircraft gun vehicle. The Phantom engaged it with his own

cannon, badly damaging it as he swept across the rest of the

peninsula and escaped back over the sea, a cloud of chaff and

flares in his wake. It was a letter-perfect Weasel mission.

All four aircraft were gone before the Soviet missile crews

were able to react. The two SAMs that were launched exploded

harmlessly in chaff clouds. The battery had lost two-thirds of

its launcher vehicles and all of its search radars. Three of

the mobile guns were also destroyed or damaged. The bombers

were now a mere twenty miles out....

I have to say I always pictured them as F-4Es because of the bit about engaging a AAA vehicle with cannon but I suppose it could be a gunpod on an F-4D.

I was thinking about the loadout though and if they carry a centreline gunpod they have to carry the Rockeyes and Standards under the wings, so no drop tanks, and it's a long way to Iceland and back even with tankers.

If they're F-4Es they could have wing tanks outboard, Standards inboard and the Rockeyes on a centreline TER.

Or maybe I'm just rivet counting and obsessing over a work of fiction! :grin:

Reason for edit: I just realised what I was asking was a big no no!

Edited by allenjb42

Seriosuly, I need to pick up RSR in English.

ALOT of stuff seems to have been removed or written out in the Swedish Translation.

Ok I have Kelts that are not ASM's. They do attack ground targets but how can I get all of the flight to fire them at something? I have a flight of 12 I tell them to attack my target and one fires.

Are you using the Crusie_Missile or the Strike Command?

I think for missiles, it has to be the former and not the latter.

I tried cruise missile and they wouldn't launch enmass. Only one or two.

If you tell them to attack ground targets rather than just your target what happens?

If you tell them to attack ground targets rather than just your target what happens?

They just mill about....I am thinking of making it a bombing mission and see what happens. I'm trying to at least get the missions somewhat as close to the book as possible. Issues I am having though is when I tell the planes to head for an off map base after the mission the editor makes them go back to a base on Iceland. Just frustrating to say the least.

Need a terrain gurus help....I need the front line where the blue line is. That is the start of the campaign and I need to set it up so the US sides loses Keflavik after the first mission. Then on the 2nd mission of the campaign, that is where the 2 Mig-29 units go. Am I stretching the campaign engine too far for this idea? Would it be better to set it up as a single mission and then have the campaign start with Mig-29's already there. The blue X's are airfield that need to be removed as such too. So they do not get used. Need some ideas fellas. :blink:

Set no blue ground units to Keflavik or weak ones, for instance M113 and soviets units with T-55. Could work.

Well what I did a minute ago was duplicate the terrain and set the enemy bases to neutral. Now they can not land there. Still trying to figure out the NATO side....I am thinking of making it neutral and have airstarts for these single missions. Then for the campaign do the same but the NATO base will be enemy and all NATO attack will come from off map.

Ok my fix was to make 2 other terrains based on the default one. Just ini edits so an easy install. That way when you select the mission the terrain automatically gets used. Sound good?

Well f***, that didn't work either. I guess Im going to have to improvise the story so I can get the terrain to be used correctly.