Geary

SF2:NA F-14 Avionics Problem in Non-NA Mods Installs

I merged SF2:NA into a full-4 merged install and a stand-alone SF2 Europe.

If I start the SF2: NA .exe mod and fly the F-14 I get animation in the two MDF's in the center and lower center of the cockpit panel. (Picture 1)

But if I start any of the other merged installs, ie, Europe, Isreal, Vietnam, etc, and fly the F-14, there is nothing in the MDF's, they're as blank as a blonde's expression. (Picture 2)

I thought if the plane showed up in any merged install it called out the same cockpit, avionics, data, etc, from the same centalized magical black hole all that stuff is stored in.

Anyone else have this problem or know how fix it?

Edited by GearyMcS

I'm not surprised.

Think about it.

NA adds significant functionality to avionics to support the Tomcat. You don't want to be giving those enhancements away for free. I can certainly understand why the older sims are not patched with the new functionality. (Which is what would need to be done for you to run ANY EXE and expect SF2NA results.)

That all being said. Why not try backing up one of your older EXEs and copy/rename the SFNA exe to the name of the older exe? (Similar with what needs to be done with patches and custom mod folders and exes.) LATER: This works.

Edited by DoctorQuest

Can't you just run the SF:NA exe and run a Vietnam mission from within SF:NA since it's merged? You'd get all the bells and whistles that way.

With my merged install, I dont run any other executables, just the SF2 and fly the other terrains/games.

Just a thought.

Don't think so, because it's not free if you merged it that actually means you have them all, if you ask me if anything you should get even more options when merging....

Now as for the problem I don't know what that happens in my merged install Tomcat works normally if I start with SF2Europe.exe as do all other items from NA...

DoctorQuest,

I have renamed the NA .exe and created an install from that. The avionics don't show up in that install. That's one reason I'm stumped.

ST0RM,

I can do what you say, but I also want to mod other installs with the F-14 included. The F-14 is ONE of the reasons I bought NA. But if that's the only conclusion I can come to, I may impelement that idea.

Brain32,

Could be I mis-installed the NA in my installs, but if there's anyother way to install I'm unaware of, then I installed it correctly. IIRC the MDF's worked when I first installed NA a week ago.

Thanks, guys,

More to reseach and experiment with.

Geary

One other thought. I don't really know the effect of the Mar 2012 patch on the other sims. (I did a fresh install for SF2NA rather than muck with my merged install.)

It would be interesting to see what patching the merged install would do.

I installed SF2:NA on my PC that also has an SF2 merged install with the 4 titles. I do not have the mentioned problem. F-14A works in any of the SF2 games I launch.

So, I think something is plain simply wrong with your install.

I installed SF2:NA on my PC that also has an SF2 merged install with the 4 titles. I do not have the mentioned problem. F-14A works in any of the SF2 games I launch.

That's good to know. I was probably making the thing more complicated than it really is. Sorry.

hace an all 5 merged install and it works just fine, i would suggest reinstall, but there must be something wrong with the files or the older exes, i dunno

I think I figured it out.

Some of the installs where the animation didn't work were set to easy gameplay in the options menu. When set to normal or harder, the animation shows up.

Guess I'll have to start wearing my big boy pants to fly.

Sure am going to miss wearing diapers in the cockpit. Saved me soiling my pants on numerous occations.

Thanks for all the help trying to track this.

Geary