Sign in to follow this  
redpiano

Is P4 getting a sound overhaul?

I don't agree at all RP. Not that there isn't a bit of tweaking that could be done, but I find the sounds in P3 to be really quite good. I'm going to make a guess here that on your 1st grade report card Red Piano, under 'Comments', it said "Does not play well with others." :grin:

redpiano, so much will be overhauled or renewed, that I am almost certain, the sounds will be too.

I couldn't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet good money new sounds will accompany everything else that's new.

Hellshade

True, I don't play well with others.

Anywho, the sound isn't up to par with 'any' flight sim I've played so far. I've also noticed every engine sound in the game has a real loud and annoying sound underneath the actual propeller buzz, like the SE5 has sort of a clunk that repeats throughout the flight. I hope those go away. Last time I played I just turned engine sound all the way down cause it's just bad.

In total agreement with red here, the sounds in OFF were its weakest link.

I had no end of troubles with sound separation as well - both friendly and hostile aircraft had a louder engine and gun sounds than my own crate, even when they were at distance. In a full 10 aircraft dogfight I struggled to hear my own engine and guns at all, and no matter what I did with the sound settings or my soundcard eliminated this.

Really hope the devs are gonna give this area some loving in OFF2.

In a full 10 aircraft dogfight I struggled to hear my own engine and guns at all, and no matter what I did with the sound settings or my soundcard eliminated this.

Very strange - I never had that problem.

In "Workshops", there are the options "Realistic Sound" and "Ambient Sound"; plus: you can make each seperate sound (engine, guns etc.) louder or lower.

Truth be told, my hearing has been shot since my stint in the USAF, so my opinion may not be the most accurate in this case. I tend to hear a faint drone akin to aircraft engines 24/7 as it is.

Well of course we disagree that it's "awful" ! but yes new sounds in OFF2, yes.

Also note in P3 you may need to tweak sound levels in Workshop (there's buttons to customise) and check how the output is setup on your speakers, i.e. try stereo not 5.1 or whatever and see.

Well I'm sorry if Awful was too harsh a word, but they're simply too repetitive and all over the place. I've played around a lot with the sound levels and the only way I can play the game is with engine way down which then makes every other sound in the game extremely loud. And there seems to be no....I don't know what the term would be, distance fading? on the sounds, so if I've got someone buzzing around me it doesn't matter if they're a thousand yards or a hundred yards it sounds like they're right on my tail.

Would have thought that the sound of the engine + vibration+wind

would have blotted out any other sound except close bursts of archie

and mgs right on top of you ? If we are talking realism.

That said I find P3 sound to be ok. Certainly good enough to induce

that willing suspension of disbelief which immersion requires.

Cheers

Well, may I put my two cents worth in here?

I for one do not have any problems with the sound! My wife won't let me turn the volume up enough to enjoy it!!:lol::lol:

I wait patiently until she goes on a shopping spree and then I have my fun at the stick!!!

Best Regards;

Uh, yeah, I am with rjw..........

No problems here..........

Just enjoy the SIM..............

So it's official - new sounds too.

Damn, I wish I could be a fly at the wall of one of the devs - they must be playing a very different sim during their beta testing.

Creaghorn, of Creaghorn's sound brew, has been tasked with improving the sound for P4--which must explain why we haven't heard from him for awhile.

Well of course we disagree that it's "awful" ! but yes new sounds in OFF2, yes.

Also note in P3 you may need to tweak sound levels in Workshop (there's buttons to customise) and check how the output is setup on your speakers, i.e. try stereo not 5.1 or whatever and see.

Please tell us this includes a stall sound (wind buffet or whatever) that can actually be heard above engine noise so you don't need the text warning or FFB!

Please tell us this includes a stall sound (wind buffet or whatever) that can actually be heard above engine noise so you don't need the text warning or FFB!

While I have no experience with what it sounds like to be in an aircraft (particularly open-cockpit) as it approaches a stall, I have several hundred parachute jumps with square canopies, which are essentially inflatible gliders. And I can tell you that when they do it gets quieter. All the wind noise (both in your ears and through the suspension lines), all the flapping nylon, everything decreases until right at the stall point. Which makes sense, when you think about it, because the noise is caused by the very aiflow that is disrupted by the stall. So I'm not sure what kind of audible cue you're expecting, 33LIMA. I doubt you'd notice a drop in wind noise over the sound of your engine. And the propwash would likely still provide your ears some wind noise.

Any pilots out there who can lend some more direct experience to this point?

General notes on OFF's current sounds. I rather like them. An engine running at a constant speed will sound pretty much constant. And any quirks in that sound (which were plentiful I'm sure, given the technology of the day) will be repeated at regular intervals. When I'm driving I can usually hear another car's engine as it approaches me even with the windows up and the radio on, but not until it's very close. After you land sit on the field with your engine off for a few minutes and you'll hear your wingmen's engines slowly fade in and out as they circle endlessly waiting for...I don't know, either their fuel to run out or gravity to increase :dntknw: . I can't remember, but I think there's even a slight Doppler effect. One thing I don't think is in the game that I would like to see is a time delay between sight and sound. Right now, it seems that you hear a shell exploding at the same time that you see it. I don't know if it can be done, or done easily enough, but it would be nice to have that 1-second-per-1,000-feet (about 330 meters, I guess) delay so you could possibly judge the distance better.

Baur the engine sound in the game isn't natural sound, it's not the sound of a real life engine in front of you, it's the sound of a youtube video of a camel or whatever. So not only do all the sounds in the game sound like they're from an external view, but they also have digital oddities left over and when they're looped over and over it causes a really annoying problem, and in this case it's a clang or a click or maybe just a tone repeating, like the Albatros has this raise in tone near the end of the sound loop and it sounds awful when it's loud. I also use a headset so keep that in mind.

Oh and the spitfire sounding SE5a's...please get rid of them.

sound editing is tough even for an expert. I've heard professional games with much poorer sound quality and obvious looping, said games have still won awards for best sound.

Anywho, several things you can try, headphones no matter the quality are a poor way to listen to sound, they prevent natural decay and over expose everything. try limiting or expanding the dynamic range in your system audio settings, and lower the overall sound volume. Play around with the treble, and bass settings to compress the sound a little.

From experience, engines are especially difficult to record and edit. Each engine produces its own series of clicks and clunks and the pitch varies widely at any level. Usually recorded outdoors or in sheds and hangars, far away from the pure and deadened environment of a studio. I've found that you need a long section of audio, and then have to smooth it out and perform different passes to filter out some of the variations. Even still with pitch set to throttle speed, an inaudible rumble at idle, can become a high pitch click at speed. it's a tough one. Normally in films they only show short sections at mid-level, and looped sounds get shoved to the back as much as possible.

Matt, your new musical score for OFF2 is one of things I am really looking forward to. Not that I'm also not looking forward to everything else about it, but the music honestly sets the mood for the whole affair.

Guys, when Creaghorn goes deeply into the sound re-creation, I can assure you it will be great.

He is a sportsman with good endurance, and so modest, that he will only come out with his

sounds, when they are brilliant.

sound editing is tough even for an expert. I've heard professional games with much poorer sound quality and obvious looping, said games have still won awards for best sound.

Anywho, several things you can try, headphones no matter the quality are a poor way to listen to sound, they prevent natural decay and over expose everything. try limiting or expanding the dynamic range in your system audio settings, and lower the overall sound volume. Play around with the treble, and bass settings to compress the sound a little.

From experience, engines are especially difficult to record and edit. Each engine produces its own series of clicks and clunks and the pitch varies widely at any level. Usually recorded outdoors or in sheds and hangars, far away from the pure and deadened environment of a studio. I've found that you need a long section of audio, and then have to smooth it out and perform different passes to filter out some of the variations. Even still with pitch set to throttle speed, an inaudible rumble at idle, can become a high pitch click at speed. it's a tough one. Normally in films they only show short sections at mid-level, and looped sounds get shoved to the back as much as possible.

Playing dozen other flight sims and a couple hundred other unrelated games, I've never heard the kind of bad looping that P3 has.

• Dislike 1

Playing dozen other flight sims and a couple hundred other unrelated games, I've never heard the kind of bad looping that P3 has.

Maybe you need to move on then - you have adequately displayed your dismay in OFF in numerous posts - it clearly is not for you.

WM

I enjoy it well enough, I still plan to purchase P4; I'm only hoping that the many issues in P3 are remedied.

Redpiano, I guess, that's what they are working on, and why they postponed the release, I guess -

because they want to improve many, many aspects - and they will do.

So far you mostly came across quite negative, redpiano, you complain about this and that,

and when you have issues no one else ever had yet (which may then be a result of wrong

actions your end), you still beat the drum, when you don't get helped fast enough - perhaps

you consider to also write about something you DO like? From time to time?