I have flown a couple of missions in SF2 NA and I have been a bit disappointed that the ocean appears to be nothing more than polygons (ice paks) somewhat like flight sims of some 20 years ago. Did I miss something in the installation? Are their terrain packs that can make the water, at least, look like water? The North Atlantic ocean is usually rough and, if you don't have to make your way through it, quite beautiful. The NA sim is fun in all other aspects, but the water, just doesn't look right at all. Anybody else out there have the same problem?

I think the sea looks better than anything I've seen on Planet Third Wire. I'm less impressed with the land and where it meets the sea...

• Like 1

I think the water is much improved from previous games. It's got reflection, a decent amount of wave action... Certainly Atlantic could be represented better, but since this is not a ship/sub sim, I'm not sweating over it. Actually pretty happy with what we got.

Edited by PureBlue
  • Like 1

same here, happy with it, we wanted better water for ages, now it is here finally, no need to complain for me

land... is slightly different thing though

• Like 1

I think the water is much improved from previous games. It's got reflection, a decent amount of wave action... Certainly Atlantic could be represented better, but since this is not a ship/sub sim, I'm not sweating over it. Actually pretty happy with what we got.

Now, if we ever got the chance to deal with those shaders, we could REPRESENT some 10-20 foot seas!

#justsayin

SidDogg

I have flown a couple of missions in SF2 NA and I have been a bit disappointed that the ocean appears to be nothing more than polygons (ice paks) somewhat like flight sims of some 20 years ago. Did I miss something in the installation? Are their terrain packs that can make the water, at least, look like water? The North Atlantic ocean is usually rough and, if you don't have to make your way through it, quite beautiful. The NA sim is fun in all other aspects, but the water, just doesn't look right at all. Anybody else out there have the same problem?

Maybe you have some bugged install? Can you post a screenshot of how it looks?

some screenshot & maybe some of your hard / software specs ?

Now, if we ever got the chance to deal with those shaders, we could REPRESENT some 10-20 foot seas!

#justsayin

SidDogg

The waves are a secondary .LOD animated over top of the water plane.

The waves are a secondary .LOD animated over top of the water plane.

awww maan, there you go killin my thunder :huh:

oh well :lol:

SidDogg

Still just uses a vertexshader. Technically it could be done on legacy terrain mesh (vertices are vertices) but only if you want kilometersized waves.

500 meters actually, still 25 time the size of NA ones (20 meters as ini says)

really?????

I think we better save the tsunami mod for December of this year, ya know ... to go with the whole Mayan thing.

What are your graphics settings on Jug?

OK, guys, I have to modify my complaint. The sea looks like what I expected, but flying over the ice pack is far below what I would expect for SF terrain. I was flying over the ice-paks in the first two tries. Dullsville!

My box is a home-made 32 bit, Win 7 Ultimate OS, 3 Tb storage, 8 gb RAM, 3 ghz 4X CPU, NVidia Graphics card, digital sound using a Thrustmaster HOTAS control array. I am building up a better 64 bit box to run Win 7 Ultimate 64X.

Edited by Jug

OK, guys, I have to modify my complaint. The sea looks like what I expected, but flying over the ice pack is far below what I would expect for SF terrain. I was flying over the ice-paks in the first two tries. Dullsville!

My box is a home-made 32 bit, Win 7 Ultimate OS, 3 Tb storage, 8 gb RAM, 3 ghz 4X CPU, NVidia Graphics card, digital sound using a Thrustmaster HOTAS control array. I am building up a better 64 bit box to run Win 7 Ultimate 64X.

Iceland is nothing special on anyones PC - would look just as good/bad running it on the Matrix.

Pretty good rig youve got going there - dont skimp on the gfx card go higher end if possible.

I still am not satisfied with what I see for water or ice packs. Looks like a ripe area for our talented group of Terrain people to show their stuff. Looking forward to their work. My 32 bit graphics card was not the top of the line ($ constraints), but it shows the results of the wonderful work of our CA Terrain personnel on other SF2 apps (including water appearance)!

I am not very familiar with naval weapons. Anyplace here that I can go for some training?

Edited by Jug

Water should look like this:

gallery_28008_246_79019.jpg

If not - is your current gfx card Direct X 10 capable?

Air launched or ship launched weapons?

MigBuster,

My water does not look like that at all. I appears light blue with no shading. I gotta get a better graphics card although mine currently is DirectX10 capable.

Since I am a jet driver and not a ship driver, it is a pretty good bet that I need some help with the air launched flavor.

Thanks in advance.

1. Can you post a screenshot of your water ?

2. Have you set the water detail to at least High in Graphics Options of NA?

3. Which nVidia card exactly is your VGA?

4. It appears your PC is fully capable of running 64 bit Windows 7, why are you calling it 32 bit and using 32 bit Win7? With Windows 7 32 you are utilizing only 3.5Gb of your 8Gb RAM (using ramdisk i am not sure is much help for overall System + Games memory management) (Not that 64bit has anything to do with the water rendering in NA)

5. Which exactly is your CPU ? (4 cores @ 3Ghz its definitely 64bit capable CPU)

6. Have you checked with dxdiag.exe what is you current DX version ?

Since I am a jet driver and not a ship driver, it is a pretty good bet that I need some help with the air launched flavor.

Thanks in advance.

Theres nothing really new in the stock game if you have it as stand alone - are you talking AIM-54s? - for Walleyes just press E as before.

1. Can you post a screenshot of your water ?

2. Have you set the water detail to at least High in Graphics Options of NA?

3. Which nVidia card exactly is your VGA?

4. It appears your PC is fully capable of running 64 bit Windows 7, why are you calling it 32 bit and using 32 bit Win7? With Windows 7 32 you are utilizing only 3.5Gb of your 8Gb RAM (using ramdisk i am not sure is much help for overall System + Games memory management) (Not that 64bit has anything to do with the water rendering in NA)

5. Which exactly is your CPU ? (4 cores @ 3Ghz its definitely 64bit capable CPU)

6. Have you checked with dxdiag.exe what is you current DX version ?

1. (incredibly) my SF2 screenshot has never worked (CTL-PrtScn) SF2/SF2 Europe/SF2 Vietnam/SF2 Israel/SF2 NA/and the two add-ons updated to March 2012).

2. Yes

3. GForce 7600 GS

4. ??

5. Intell Quad Core Q6600 2.4 ghz

6. Ran dxdiag.exe and got no problems with system/display/sound1/sound2/input.

1. (incredibly) my SF2 screenshot has never worked (CTL-PrtScn) SF2/SF2 Europe/SF2 Vietnam/SF2 Israel/SF2 NA/and the two add-ons updated to March 2012).

2. Yes

3. GForce 7600 GS

4. ??

5. Intell Quad Core Q6600 2.4 ghz

6. Ran dxdiag.exe and got no problems with system/display/sound1/sound2/input.

1. Try PrtScrn instead of CTL-PrtScrn

Jug, your video card only supports DX9.0C. SF2NA requires one that supports DX10.

4-5 : your CPU is very good. one of my favorites i had. You can perfectly install Windows 7 64 in that rig. Very overclockable too :)

3. Yes. A cheap DX10 but very effective upgrade would be a (used probably) 8800 series nvidia