KJakker

"Wing Commander Saga:The Darkest Dawn" Released!

Been a long time coming which you might expect for an all volunteer work.

Starring yours truly as Captain Michael Moran. (And fighter pilot "White Trash"....) :clapping:

Let me know what you guys think. (Assuming you can get it downloaded sometime this year :lol: )

(Assuming you can get it downloaded sometime this year :lol: )

The torrent option on GH is fast and steady.

Starring yours truly as Captain Michael Moran. (And fighter pilot "White Trash"....) :clapping:

As one of the beta testers I will say that I vary much liked your voice acting. Good job! good.gif

Edited by KJakker

As one of the beta testers I will say that I vary much liked your voice acting. Good job! good.gif

Thanks! I had never done anything like this before and it was MUCH more difficult than you might think. And as you well know Tolwyn knows what he wants and how to get it!

They switched the website into low-bandwidth mode too.

I've never played the Wing Commander Series and I've only tried demos of the X-wing series (to my deep regret) but I've played the crap out of the Freespace games and I'm still in awe as to how this genre has been ignored... Don't the new kids know what it is to fly a sci-fi starfighter (not the F-104!!!) with a joystick anymore?? I wonder about these games where you "fly" with a "mouse"... :bad:

Since CCP is integrating Dust 514 with EVE in real time, someone ought to suggest them making a game where you could pilot the drones from the carriers, Freespace-style, in pretty much the same way as the Dust 514 guys end up doing their EVE overlords' biddings - imagine such a game, where squadrons prove their mettle in huge battles, weaving between the cap ships, where you could practically not decide whether to say "Look at the size of that thing!" or "There's too many of them!!!" - and most likely churn out both lines... Ahhhh... if only... as the german saying goes, "Dreams are foams" - but I wouldn't mind this one becoming true!!!

WHOOT!...Downloading now!....thanks for the headsup!

The one thing that's always dissapointed me with Space games (for me - WCIV, XWing Alliance) is the feeling during gameplay that I'm in a turret just using left/right/up/down to engage targets rather than actually in something that is flying and moving through space. I think part of it comes from the fact that the player's craft can yaw around just as quickly (if not faster) as it would be to bank and yank, and also that you can simply "nose down" to get someone below you rather than going inverted and pulling a split-S. Does that make sense?

If you watch the Star Wars movies the ships tend to dogfight like they are conventional aircraft flying in earths atmosphere. But all the video games had that "turret" feel to them. Not that real space ships would behave like P-51s and ME-109's, but that was part of the appeal to me.

Is anything different with WCS?

Edited by malibu43

I am not sure if I get what you mean. The key issue to keep in mind is that in space there is not real sense of motion due to lack of references. Also, in universe, Blackout and Redout are not an issue do to inertial compensation technology.

Still take a look at the game play trailer below.

I've downloaded and installed it (went very smoothly)...had a quick look (as it's getting late here in the UK)..but it looks really good!..and, I havent played a Space Sim for years..so, looking forward to starting in earnest tomorrow!

I've downloaded and installed it (went very smoothly)...had a quick look (as it's getting late here in the UK)..but it looks really good!..and, I havent played a Space Sim for years..so, looking forward to starting in earnest tomorrow!

Be sure to go to the Campaign room and select the Prologue first. It is five missions long and will walk you through most of the controls as well as fill in some background on the main campaign.

Be sure to go to the Campaign room and select the Prologue first. It is five missions long and will walk you through most of the controls as well as fill in some background on the main campaign.

Wilco :good:

Cant get my damn joystick to work!

:good: This is a good point.

malibu::

The one thing that's always dissapointed me with Space games (for me - WCIV, XWing Alliance) is the feeling during gameplay that I'm in a turret just using left/right/up/down to engage targets rather than actually in something that is flying and moving through space.

You got tricked into the myth, promoted by space combat game developers, that space combat should be compared to 20th century air combat. It should not be.

Space combat is best compared to 20th century surface ship-ship combat, but without air units. Yea its about turrets in 3D instead of 2D, but far more other things that would never apply to air combat. Think ships and fleets manuevering for position or evasion.

You can have "space carriers" but the carrier based space fighters are not the equivalent of airplanes, but the equivalent of small combat boats. The smallest and the largest space combat vehicles are the same class of vehicle -- like a small boat vs a battleship -- and not different classes of vehicle like the flying dive bomber vs boats/ships.

Okay. I suppose a game could be made where "normal" space ships operated in NORMAL space, but "space fighters" and "space bombers" operated in hyperspace (or whatever) where space ships could never go -- like neither PT boats nor battleships can fly. Only the small hyperspace vehicles can take off into hyperspace, like only airplanes can take to the air. The rest of the space fleet stays in normal space, like a naval fleet operates strictly in water, unlike the air planes. I guess you could call airplanes hyperwater craft since they go beyond water. A game like that could be neat if you can accept the concept of hyperspace or whatever.

I think, the point is mainly the minimal modeling of inertia. Homeplanet and the free Babylon 5: I've Found Her encourage you to disable classic space sim "airplane" controls and go full-inertia. The flight trajectories become wild, you orbit your targets instead of tailing them.