Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

Carrier Ops in the Desert

Bugs aside, the new SF2NA game engine that specifically supports carrier ops on other terrains is proving to be a real breakthrough. Very interesting indeed.

Using the guidelines from PureBlue's thread in the knowledge base I've been able to add carrier ops to the stock desert terrain:

post-29988-0-48007800-1332451525.jpg

Ironically, some weeks ago I added a friendly segoing oil field in the "Desert3" terrain, complete with third party oil rigs which I obtained from the SFP1 download section :

post-29988-0-49061200-1332451558.jpg

As you can see in the above screenshot, there's part of the CV Battle Group passing closely by one of the rigs. Would any of our terrain gurus know whether a collision between ship and rig be avoided? There doesn't seem to be any collision mesh with Gepard's oil rig model. I suppose some would recommend moving the location of the oil field but I think that with a little editing these models could be set up as very tempting targets for Parani bombing raids.

Thoughts, anyone?

Dhimar/Paran is perfect for carrier ops. Got a good 1985 campaign rolling along nicely.

Also, the new capabilities from SF2:NA have let me add an off-map US airbase to stage my B-52's:

[TargetArea076]
Name=Diego Garcia
Position=700000,820000
ActiveDate=0
Location=3
Alignment=FRIENDLY
OffMapAirBase=TRUE

Edited by arthur666

The new capabilities from SF2:NA have let me add an off-map US airbase to stage my B-52's:

[TargetArea076]
Name=Diego Garcia
Position=700000,820000
ActiveDate=0
Location=3
Alignment=FRIENDLY
OffMapAirBase=TRUE

i was thinking of that myself, though I hadn't got round to trying it yet. Wasn't even sure if the old terrains would support that feature. Nice one :good:

The thing I'd be interested in is that although technically the oil rig is a static model, could there be a way of setting it up in such a way so that they could be open to cruise missile attack?

By the way arthur, you mentioned about flying a campaign in the Desert terrain; I presume there's no longer any need for the "Echo Station" prompts in the _DATA.INI and CAMPAIGN_DATA.INI files?

Edited by Piecemeal

I presume there's no longer any need for the "Echo Station" prompts in the _DATA.INI and CAMPAIGN_DATA.INI files?

Your presumption is correct, sir.

Dhimar/Paran is perfect for carrier ops. Got a good 1985 campaign rolling along nicely.

OK; I've removed the carrier stations from the terrain _DATA.ini and CAMPAIGN_DATA.ini files, edited the campaign files by comparing them with the Iceland campaign files, yet the campaign still freezes when I try to start it with a USN, USMC or USAF aircraft (using Ctrl+Alt+Del method of closing it down. Strangely enough I can start the campaign if I choose an RAF or Merc squadron :dntknw:. At this stage I'm quadruple checking the files in question and trying this and that out but still no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: If anybody wants to, I've decided to enclose the campaign INIs. Maybe someone that's successfully done something similar could give them a once over ...

CAMPAIGN3.rar

Edited by Piecemeal

OK; I've removed the carrier stations from the terrain _DATA.ini and CAMPAIGN_DATA.ini files, edited the campaign files by comparing them with the Iceland campaign files, yet the campaign still freezes when I try to start it with a USN, USMC or USAF aircraft (using Ctrl+Alt+Del method of closing it down. Strangely enough I can start the campaign if I choose an RAF or Merc squadron :dntknw:. At this stage I'm quadruple checking the files in question and trying this and that out but still no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: If anybody wants to, I've decided to enclose the campaign INIs. Maybe someone that's successfully done something similar could give them a once over ...

CAMPAIGN3.rar

Can't figure it out... Possibly related to the terrain you're using?

Can't figure it out... Possibly related to the terrain you're using?

Nah. I tried the terrain out with some updated stock campaign files that Shotgun uploaded. Worked out fine. It has to be either something I have put in or left out of the campaign INIs - OR it could be bug related. With regard to the latter we won't know that til the patch is released.

It's really weird cos I can fly with an RAF or Mercenary squadron without a hitch. Jeeezus, I mean even if I choose a USAF squadron it crashes; and they're land based with no naval prompts whatsoever in the _DATA.ini!

Campaign aside, did you get it to work in Single Mission? Your naval aircraft taking off from a CV?

Is it required to have SF:NA installed? I've got my merged install up to March 12 patch level but the game does not recognize the terrain after the NAVALMAP=TRUE add. So I'm thinking it needs SF:NA.

-Jeff

Works like a dream in Single Missions. I've got SF2NA, my SF2 install's patched up to March 2012, I've made all the neccessary updates to the terrain INIs, I even created a WATER.BMP. :dntknw:

As to whether it requires SF2NA to perform, beats the hell outa me.

Edited by Piecemeal