Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

OT - Gettysburg: Armored Warfare

This title is coming soon and considering my interest in the American Civil War I'll definitely give it a go. From what I can tell it's Total War-like but instead of controlling large units, you control individual men/tanks/blimps/gunboats, etc.

http://www.paradoxpl...armored-warfare

Update: Will be available March 27 on Steam for $9.99

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2012/3/gettysburg-armored-warfare-coming-to-pcs-on-march-27th

Edited by Shiloh

Maybe I didn't get it but it almost sounded like southern tanks versus union muskets??:yikes: Maybe you can verify this for me didn't General Custer with a small force of calvary stop JEB Stuart from attacking the union rear? Gettysburg is a really neat place. I haven't been there in years but it is only about an hour from my place.

As much as I understand DonL it mixes traditional Civil War units against futuristic soldiers with modern weapons technologies and throws them together on the battlefield. Modern soldiers go back in time to try and change the outcome of the Battle of Gettysburg in the Confederates favor. It has a bit of Darkest of Days in it where traditional weapons meet modern but it looks like loads of fun considering the variety of units available (blimps, tanks, gunboats, machine guns, etc.) You can make your own maps as well which is a nice feature for continued playability.

And yes General George A. Custer was part of a spirited fight between the Union and Confederate cavalry as JEB Stuart was attacking the Union rear on day 3. Excerpt from my website:

Hours of hand-to-hand fighting and charges ensued and Custer was right in the thick of the fighting. He led the 7th Michigan Cavalry on a heroic charge that broke the back of the Confederate assault and forced them to abandon the fight. The collision of the two cavalry forces was not unlike a clap of thunder as thousands of pound of horses and men met with many going head-over-heels after the initial clash.

Gettysburg is indeed a hallowed place and I last visited in October. I stood in the Wheatfield (scene of fierce fighting) and tried to imagine what it would have been like in the heat of the battle but simply couldn't recreate it in my head. You should visit this year if you get the chance.

Edited by Shiloh

Like I said it has been many years since I last visited Gettysburg but Devils Den, Little Round Top, and the Wheat field still send shivers up and down my spine. Glad i did not have to go through that. I am almost old enough :no: The wife and I are looking for somewhere to vacation this year this may be a choice.

Maybe you can verify this for me didn't General Custer with a small force of calvary stop JEB Stuart from attacking the union rear? Gettysburg is a really neat place. I haven't been there in years but it is only about an hour from my place.

I agree, Gettysburg is an awesome place to visit. My dad went to Gettysburg College so he knew the battlefield inside and out. He used to take my brother and me there every year when we were growing up. I can't tell you how many pictures my mom took of us sitting on Civil War cannons.

Stewart was off looking for Ewell who was doing a recon of Harrisburg at the end of June. There's a marker in my home town of Camp Hill where one of Ewell's brigades got into a tussle with some Union troops, making it the northernmost firefight of the Civil War.

Edited by NS13Jarhead

I agree, Gettysburg is an awesome place to visit. My dad went to Gettysburg College so he knew the battlefield inside and out. He used to take my brother and me there every year when we were growing up. I can't tell you how many pictures my mom took of us sitting on Civil War cannons.

Stewart was off looking for Ewell who was doing a recon of Harrisburg at the end of June. There's a marker in my home town of Camp Hill where one of Ewell's brigades got into a tussle with some Union troops, making it the northernmost firefight of the Civil War.

US history would have been much different had the south won at Gettysburg. Philadelphia only a day or twos march, New York another day or two. General Lee could have created havoc! In 1963 I lived in northern Virginia for a bit. There are many cw battlefields there!! I remember visiting the battle of the crater? Not sure if that is its name but the Union dug a tunnel under the confederate lines (much like mines in WW1) Maybe the siege of Petersburg or Richmond not sure which but it left a huge impression on me. Union soldiers poured into the crater instead of around it and were slaugtered. Hope I am not hijacking this thread.

Yes this is correct sir. Gen. Lee wanted to keep pushing into the Susquehanna Valley and aim towards Harrisbrug. The Susquehanna Valley is rich in farm land so the Confederate troops could have abundant food supply while on their offensive campaign. Confederate scouts did actually set up two cannon in Camp Hill on the Susquehanna River and did fire some shells into Harrisburg. Harrisburg provided the Union with a vital Rail link to the west. During this time in the war, the Confederacy was having major defeats in the western theater of the war. Lee was hoping to capture Harrisburg and cut the Union troop rail supply line to the western theater off in hopes of giving Confederate forces in the western theater more support and relief. Divide and conquer; Harrisburg is centrally loacated in the state of Pennsylvania and a vital transportation hub. The reports of Confederate forces on the outskirts of the capital, Harrisburg, caused alot of panic. People began evacuating Harrisburg by rail to other rail cities further north such as Sunbury (where I presently live). I know if you drive along routes 11 & 15 south toward Harrisburg, the Susquehanna River is right next to the state route as is the rail line. I actually drive this highway often to see my sister who lives in Gettysburg.

Confederate forces also made it as far west as Chambersburg, PA, which is located approximately 25 miles west of Gettysburg. I believe these forces were cavalry from JEB Stuart and they raided a barracks for shoes located their. And as was previously stated Gen Custer held these forces up as they were arriving from the west and were trying to reach Gettysburg. Many historians (and even Confederate officers) believe the lack of Gen Stuarts cavalry at Gettysburg severly hampered the Confederate forces and was a deciding factor in there defeat. Eventually Stuart's cavalry did arrive but a bit later than what Lee was hoping.

Everytime I visit the battlefield, I learn something new. It's quite an interesting place that is visited by people from all over the world. A very informative museum to me was the electric map. I havent visited any museums in Gettysburg for a few years but I understand that the Electric Map was closed in 2008.

Have fun,

Eric

One question from a newbie at strategic games:

Is there a really good historical (no modern weapons) Civil War sim;

and if there are many - which may be the best one?

The closest thing to this Olham is the Total War series American Civil War mod. Total War are RTS games and a group has modded Empire Total War into a Civil War era experience. I usually only fight battles but many like campaigns and I believe that feature is available with this mod as Empire is based on North American maps. They are also working on this mod for the Napoleon Total War engine which is much more stable. But sadly, this is a forgotten era in good PC games. There are others such as Sid Meiers' Gettysburg and he has an Antietam title as well but they are older games and after playing a demo, I didn't feel they stacked up in today's market.

Here's a look with some commentary I did some time back.

Edited by Shiloh

Wow! Lots of Pennsylvanians here. DonL, I have an uncle who taught school in Germantown for his entire adult life. And I was born and raised in Bloomsburg, not too far from you, eric. :drinks:

I have only been to Gettysburg once, on my sixth-grade trip, back in 1966. Unfortunately, I was so young that it mostly meant a day of no school. Honestly, the only things that impressed me then were the electric map and the little wax figures that were molded in the vending machines as you watched. Those machines have probably been replaced, by now. Nice to know the map hasn't. Some day I would like to go back, now that I more fully appreciate it.

As far as modern weaponry goes, I saw a show on The History Channel in which one of their historians said he's often heard people say that a few machine guns could have changed the outcome. His response is that, with all the opportunities the Confederates missed due to the state of battlefield communications in those days, couple of good sets of walkie-talkies is all that would have been needed.

Von Baur, I use to work in Bloomsburg three years ago. Then I moved to South West Florida. Being born in Philadelphia, I know Germantown too:) I grew up in South Philadelphia (9th and Catherine Sts).

Olham sir, for strategic Civil War games I agree with Shiloh, Sid Meirs Gettysburg and Antietam were great but they are very old. Matrix games has released a game named Forge of Freedom a few years ago. I purchased it and never got into it. Why I do not know.

Forge of Freedom is very strategic and it also contains a tactical combat engine. Similar in the idea of a Total War series game. Forge of Freedom is a very deep game and contains a very large instruction manual. It is not the most user friendly interface but if you take the time to learn it, the game offers

alot.

Matrix Games also published Gary Grigsby's War Between the States. It's very strategic and contains little in the way of tactical battles.

There is also AGEODs American Civil War The Blue and the Grey. AGEODs game is more on an operational level.

John Tiller made many Battleground Civil War titles that are older and tactical.

If you are looking for what I consider the best tactical Civil War title, I reccomend this:

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml

Scourge of War Gettysburg. What I found interesting in this title is that each man is represented on the battlefield. It's a very immersive game and very difficult. It's a very good map too and does an outstanding job at re-creating the battlefield accurately.

A few weeks ago they released an add on that requires Scourge of War about the battle of Antietam.They have also released a map pack for Pipe Creek. So if you are looking for a developer that concentrates on detailed tactical Civil War battles and one that is going to continue

to support and make more titles, I highly reccomend them.

The developers of Forge of Freedom have been working on a new Civil War game titled "Brother Against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword." I understand it is getting close but there has been no release date confirmed.

Matrix games is currently working on getting out the "Conflict of Heroes: Awakening The Bear" title. I understand it is about a month from relase. I know it's a bit off topic being WW2 but I am really looking forward to this. The board game from Academy Games is one of my favorites and I understand

that the sofware developers have worked closely with the board game creators in making this title.

Have fun,

Eric

Thank you guys!

That mod for Total War looks great, Shiloh - I wonder how all those groups can be controlled!

It's a drag a selection box over each grouping of men (units) and selecting where you want them to go. This video may give you a good idea of how units are controlled on the battlefield Olham. Battle starts 4:30 in.

One question from a newbie at strategic games:

Is there a really good historical (no modern weapons) Civil War sim;

and if there are many - which may be the best one?

Oldham-I personally believe Gary Grigsby's game "War Between the States" is the best strategic level game on the Civil War because it tries to address some of the political and economic factors that were so crucial in the war. You can find some information on it at:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/357/details/Gary.Grigsby's.War.Between.The.States

Best,

Steve

I agree with Steve. For an all encompasing strategy game that entails the economy, politics and people involved, Gary Grigsby's game is excpetional.

Intersting points about economy and politics - a different kind of game then, maybe more like a board game?

I like the way the armies march and attack in Shiloh's "Total War" - does the other have that too?

Intersting points about economy and politics - a different kind of game then, maybe more like a board game?

I like the way the armies march and attack in Shiloh's "Total War" - does the other have that too?

In "War Between the States" the player is in the role of Abraham Lincoln or Jefferson Davis. The player is involved with more of the strategic direction of the war, (and to a lesser extent the operational execution) of the conflict, rather than tactical execution. For instance, the player creates the type of brigades that will form his armies, (infantry, artillery, cavalry and heavy artillery) and uses these brigades to create divisions, corps and armies. He also determines which officers will lead each of these units. He can influence when and how the units move, but once in contact with enemy forces, the combat is resolved by the computer. A video overview of the game is here: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/357/videos/Gary.Grigsby's.War.Between.The.States/#War

For more tactcal games, look at the "American Civiil War Battles" series by John Tiller, which has been around for over a decade. See http://www.johntille...WarBattles.html and http://www.matrixgames.com/products/319/details/John.Tiller's.Battleground.Civil.War.

An interesting game, which tries to combine the strategic level with the tactical level is "Forge of Freedom." See http://www.matrixgam...l.War.1861-1865. However, in my opinion the War between the States game does a better job of recreating the strategic level, and the John Tiller series is better at the tactical.

Edited by SteveLohr

Geeze, I didn't know there were so many.

Thanks for the tips, guys - I saved them and will see, what I can find at Ebay or Amazon.

Downloading this (Gettysburg: Armored Warfare) from Steam now. Only $9.99 so if it stinks it's no worse than buying a bad sandwich. :grin: