Sign in to follow this  
NS13Jarhead

OT-My New Computer

I finally got tired of hearing you guys talk about Skyrim and seeing all the new, great software out there and being unable to play any of it due to the antiquated XP machine I have been using since the days prior to the release of OFF, version 2. So the wife and I went to the locally owned geek store (NOT BestBuy) to see what was available. They had the below machine on their shelf and we walked off with it for under $1100 US.

Here are the specs:

MoBo: MSi 990XA-GD55

CPU: AMD FX6100, 3.3 GHz, 6 core

GPU: ASUS AMD HD6870, 1GB

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2 x 4GB)

HD: 1TB SATA 7200RPM

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W

Case: Zalman Z9 w/3 blue LED fans

USB: 12 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0

OS Win7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

It's got 14 USB ports (the old one had 4), 2 open RAM slots and it's got an open PCIE slot to add a second GPU in Crossfire mode, if I need to. And boy is it quiet!

Now for the important part. I installed the software and drivers for my Saitek X45 and programmed the buttons for OFF. I installed CFS3, Patch 3.1 and OFF BHAH without a hitch. Then I fired up the game and just for fun, put all the sliders to 5 and ran the AA at maximum. At high altitude, low altitude, and in a 6 plane furball, my framerate never dropped below 35, no stutter, no scenery tearing - just perfectly smooth flying. I've still got some tweaking to do in the overrides, but I couldn't be happier with the way the game looks now - no more slide show dogfights with sliders at 2 or 3.

Edited by NS13Jarhead

attaboy...........set for the next OFF..............me next!

Welcome to the club, Jarhead! Boy, you will have fun with OFF from now on!

Do you hear that, devs? WE are ready for OFF II - now it's your turn to release it.

Yessir, I just did the big upgrade last winter. Really makes a difference, eh?! But I've been terribly busy, and so I did not get around to re-installing OFF until this week. So today, after some flying last night, I was going to start a separate thread about how stunningly beautiful the scenery is with all the sliders maxed. I have CF3's ETO expansion, and it's very nice, but this tops even that! I'm tickled to have the new machine, but even more tickled to have OFF - It is some magnificent "Flight-seeing" Now if I can just learn how to fly well....!

So welcome, & congrats on your new box. Happy flying!

Tom

I finally got tired of hearing you guys talk about Skyrim and seeing all the new, great software out there and being unable to play any of it due to the antiquated XP machine I have been using since the days prior to the release of OFF, version 2. So the wife and I went to the locally owned geek store (NOT BestBuy) to see what was available. They had the below machine on their shelf and we walked off with it for under $1100 US.

Here are the specs:

MoBo: MSi 990XA-GD55

CPU: AMD FX6100, 3.3 GHz, 6 core

GPU: ASUS AMD HD6870, 1GB

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2 x 4GB)

HD: 1TB SATA 7200RPM

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W

Case: Zalman Z9 w/3 blue LED fans

USB: 12 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0

OS Win7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

It's got 14 USB ports (the old one had 4), 2 open RAM slots and it's got an open PCIE slot to add a second GPU in Crossfire mode, if I need to. And boy is it quiet!

Now for the important part. I installed the software and drivers for my Saitek X45 and programmed the buttons for OFF. I installed CFS3, Patch 3.1 and OFF BHAH without a hitch. Then I fired up the game and just for fun, put all the sliders to 5 and ran the AA at maximum. At high altitude, low altitude, and in a 6 plane furball, my framerate never dropped below 35, no stutter, no scenery tearing - just perfectly smooth flying. I've still got some tweaking to do in the overrides, but I couldn't be happier with the way the game looks now - no more slide show dogfights with sliders at 2 or 3.

All righty now, U R Set. Congrats.