Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

Correct Skin or Correct Label?

While flying my SE5a Viper with RFC-74 over the last two missions, I've encountered what appeared to be Fok.D.VII craft from Jasta 18. At least that's what skin they had. However on one mission they were labeled as Jasta 34 and on my last mission M J I. Have any of you ever run into this?

Not me, nope. What unit and where do you fly from, and at which time?

RFC-74, July 18, 1918 at Clairmarais. Both encounters were in entirely separate areas of the map.

It depends on many reasons for example if the other Jasta skin or Ace skin does not exist for that particular model/variant it may use the default skin for that model.

So in all cases would that make the label the accurate representation? It's odd as the D.VII does have skins for Jasta 34 and Jasta 6.

Yes the label is correct. It's possible there were many craft of the same type up in the air that might affect what you see.

I've been trying to work through this issue but it's still happening. I am facing enemy craft with labels that don't match the skins and Jasta 18 seems to be the common skin that comes up. Here is screenie from one mission that shows a D.VII with a Jasta 5 label and Jasta 18 colors.

45430629.jpg

And from the same mission fighting a D.VII from MFJ I with the correct skin.

99360142.jpg

And yet another mission I flew today against Jasta 5 labels and Jasta 18 skins. Any thoughts as to what is happening here or how I can fix it?

86868338.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

Hi Shiloh;

I've never paid much attention to comparing the colour schemes to the Jastas I'm facing in a mission. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to this and hopefully will be able to confirm that it either does or doen't happen to me.

I'm usually paying more attention to the labels for reporting purposes. Can I presume that your claims are never rejected due to this conflict?

Best Regards;

• Like 1

Shiloh, since you have made own skins, make sure you haven't overwritten any default skins?

Maybe you have made a Jasta 18 skin into a basic default skin accidently - just an idea - best

you check your whole skins.

It could happen sometimes see above comments. Also check the default_t.dds in EACH aircraft folder of a type. There are several models for Aces called ...._ACx, and Squads - SQx. Check the defaults in each - they are normally factory defaults for those times when we have no skin. But maybe some have been replaced.

Also as above, if way too many craft of a type are in the air and lots of squadrons it can possibly happen.

Shiloh, since you have made own skins, make sure you haven't overwritten any default skins?

Maybe you have made a Jasta 18 skin into a basic default skin accidently - just an idea - best

you check your whole skins.

It could happen sometimes see above comments. Also check the default_t.dds in EACH aircraft folder of a type. There are several models for Aces called ...._ACx, and Squads - SQx. Check the defaults in each - they are normally factory defaults for those times when we have no skin. But maybe some have been replaced.

Also as above, if way too many craft of a type are in the air and lots of squadrons it can possibly happen.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'll have to sift through some files and see what I can find. I was skinning a Jasta 18 D.VII file and maybe I screwed something up after copying files back to the skins folder? I had a chat with rjw earlier and he's going to test an RFC-74 pilot starting at the date where I started having trouble. And as a quick check to make sure my current campaign pilot didn't become corrupted, I'm going to start a new pilot with RFC-74 at the date I'm on currently and see if I run into the same issue. I'll post back here once I've figured a few things out.

Shiloh;

I did as I promised and did not duplicate your problem. I had three missions and all went well. Let me know how you make out with your tests. I may run a few more just to be sure.

I have attached three screen captures of opposition and map data:

Thanks rjw! I really appreciate you taking the time to test. :salute: I'll have another look tomorrow to see what I can figure out.

Are these the only default skins I am supposed to have in my folder?

And if my skins did somehow get messed up can I just go back to the original install files and re-copy that whole folder over? I only have 3-4 custom skins that I made that I could easily reinstall.

defaultskins.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

The defaults are used from each aircraft's folder for example Alb DIII (1 craft type) has several models, each with a default_t.dds and an already assigned ..._t.dds

In that example here is one of the Ace craft's texture folder for Alb_DIII ;

C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\Aircraft\Alb_DIII_AC5\textures

skins in use last are here, plus default_t which is used if the squadron skin not available.

Can't really go into more detail, you'd probably need a re-install to get all skins back and in correct default places if they are wrong.

Shiloh, before you re-install, you should check all Fokker D.VII folders in this aircraft folder:

CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields > aircraft

Maybe you have accidently thrown a Jasta 18 skin into one of the Fokker D.VII folders here.

These folders should only contain basic default skins.

You must open each Fokker D.VII (and D.VII OAW etc.) folder and check the dds-files.

C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\skins

The above folder was the only folder I did anything with - never touched C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\Aircraft

I will take a look in there and see if anything looks out of order. Thanks men. :salute:

Your first line is the correct folder for personalised skins, Shiloh.

I just thought it might have happened, when you intended to move a skin in there,

that you accidently dropped it into the other folder.

I had that twice - I wanted to drop it, and just in that moment, the superintelligent

Windows explorer opened further subfolders, and it landed wrongly.

Thanks for clarifying Olham. I'm not sure what's going on here as one time the MFJ I skin/label matched up and were correct (see earlier photos). I'll troubleshoot more and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for clarifying Olham. I'm not sure what's going on here as one time the MFJ I skin/label matched up and were correct (see earlier photos). I'll troubleshoot more and see what I can figure out.

Shiloh;

One point worth noting. Jasta 18 was stationed at Montingen (South of Ardenne, west of Argonne) July 18th 1918. It would appear to be too far away for action near one of your missions on the north coast.

Would you agree?

I think it's some kind of skin issue rjw. The labels are correct as far as I can tell. I did fly a few QC's using an RFC-74 SE5a-Viper with a new pilot against Fokker D.VII craft from two different Jastas and each time the skins appeared correctly. I need more time to troubleshoot but that was an interesting test.