RAF_Louvert

Original 1916 Map of the Hazebrouck Sector of Belgium

Recently I was fortunate enough to acquire an original 1916 map of the Hazebrouck sector of Belgium and thought I would share my good fortune with you folks here. After an afternoon of scanning and assembling a couple of dozen clips I can now offer a full-size copy of this wonderful old item. This is the same type of map as used by RFC and RNAS pilots and observers, and this particular example covers the area from St. Omer across to Ypres and points south, (about 40 miles x 30 miles). I hope those of you who fly OFF using paper maps and compass will find this highly detailed old chart useful. I have just uploaded it and it should be available as soon as the posting is approved over in the OFF "Maps, Missions, and Campaigns" section.

Enjoy!

Lou

Hazebrouck_Map_5a_cover.jpg

Just downloaded it. What a little treasure.

Thanks Lou! :drinks:

Thanks for making this available Lou. One of these days I'm going to utilize maps to navigate and I'll save it for then. Do you print this out or bring it up on another computer?

Gee, Lou, your heart must be dancing - what a fine little treasure indeed!

And let me add - it came to the right man (still, even if it didn't come to Shredder)! :good:

I'll hop over and download it - calls for a new Campaign in that sector - and even an Entente campaign.

Got it! And what a fine resolution - I'll definitely use it soon.

Shiloh, if you have a second computer or two monitors attached, you could use the whole map on the other,

and only zoom in for the part, where you just are - that's what I will do with this big one.

Those who can't do that, could make letter-format excerpts from the parts they need, and use those.

Great map! Thanks for your effort and posting it for us. I plan to fly a mission after work tonight and I will definetly use it.

You are all more than welcome Gents, glad to know others will be able to make use of this nifty old map. 21 downloads so far! :smile:

Shiloh, to your question Sir. I do have a second computer set up in my flying room for map use, (it's actually my old RB3D rig).

Lou_flying_desk_2012_001.JPG

Before I start a mission in OFF, I pull up the map I need using Pait.NET. I then create a layer for the route, which I draw in first. I don't follow exactly the path laid out on the in-sim map but instead create my own using landmarks, rail lines, rivers, roads, etc as guides. I next create another layer in which I will jot down "notes" as I fly the mission. Here is an example using a section of the Hazebrouck map:

OFF_Map_Nav_Example_001.jpg

This particular mission was with the RFC flying out of St. Omer, and was a scouting along our side of the mud between Ypres and Armentieres. I use a sort of shorthand that allows me to quickly type in little reminders to myself, and if we get into a scrape I try to record pertinent info immediately after the engagement.

RAF_Louvert , thanks for posting this - my RFC5 airfield is right in this sector! Now when I get home I will be faced with the dilemma of continuing to clear out the loft - or downloading and using this map. Hmmm ...

Wayfarer, you are quite welcome Sir. Also, the loft will still be there tomorrow ... and the next day ... and the day after that. :grin:

Isn't there always something that needed to be done first? Is that the devil keeping us from paradise? :diablo:

Lou, it's soi nice to see your setup and flying after maps. Your routes must be far longer than mine,

and so far I mostly used printed paper maps, but it is the same way of deepening the immersion.

Good idea, that writing right in the map file - I'll use my 2. computer the same way next time.