Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys, a stupid question, If I purchase the SF2 expansion pack 2, it says SF2 Europe is required. I get that.... but if I buy Vietnam and Israel as well as Europe, will the expansion pack features like the mission editor, ect be available to use in the others? Is everything interchangeable or is it all separate, like I have to quit SF2 Vietnam to go play around in SF2 Israel?

Also, is the expansion pack even worth it? From what I've seen around here you all seem to have all the bases covered. Is it better to just get the mission editor separately? Hopefully I will be up and running in a few weeks and I can figure out my stupid questions on my own through trial and error but until then, I will try to keep them to a minimum and move around the forums picking up hints and looking at screenshots wishing I was flying, its amazing the progress in combat sims since FA. Thanks guys

idea.gif

...Is everything interchangeable or is it all separate, like I have to quit SF2 Vietnam to go play around in SF2 Israel?...

Interesting question. I do have a merged game install of SF2V and NA, but two different mod folders in my "saved games" - my mods cannot get mixed up badly that way... I am starting NA or V separately - but maybe that is not really necessary!?!?

EXP 2 has the Lightning. Get it if this is important to you. I think you should.

Interesting question. I do have a merged game install of SF2V and NA, but two different mod folders in my "saved games" - my mods cannot get mixed up badly that way... I am starting NA or V separately - but maybe that is not really necessary!?!?

From what I've been able to tell if you are running a completely stock merged install all objects from all sims should be available regardless of the exe you use. It is when you start populating a specific mods folder that you tie yourself to a specific exe. I.E. if you make the A-6A flyable in SF2V you will only be able to fly it by using the SF2V exe. The mods folder used is tied to the name of the exe file. This actually is kind of nice in that you can build multiple mod folders and access them by copying a stock SF2 exe and renaming it to the name of the mods folder. It's a hassle when you patch the sim because the patch will only know about the stock exes. You need to re-copy the exes after a patch.

Edited by DoctorQuest

Thanks guys, there are some things I've seen in it that will probably make it worth it, plus its always good to support the platform so it stays.

@stingray77.... Yeah I dont know, I just remember in FA you could go do some campaign missions in Nam and then decide you wanted to go do more modern combat and it was just a mouse click away, so on. Like if SF2 was the base, then Vietnam, Europe, ect were levels within that platform. Also you could fly any of your planes where ever, so you could take a F-14 with phoenix missiles into Vietnam for a turkey shoot if you felt like it. Just curious about the platform and how everything gels. I've seen the 'merged' thing and thats what sparked that question, since you can have merged and not.

@Doc, if you dl terrain effects and explosion effects, what's the best way to install them since you would want them to show up in all the games you have? Do you have to copy them into each game. It wouldn't be a hassle but is there a quicker way or folder for 'all' the games you have?

Edited by Intruder7011

@Doc, if you dl terrain effects and explosion effects, what's the best way to install them since you would want them to show up in all the games you have? Do you have to copy them into each game. It wouldn't be a hassle but is there a quicker way or folder for 'all' the games you have?

In theory you could install them to the "stock" folders in the root SF2 program directory. I think the risk there is the same with mods to ANY stock item in SF2: You risk losing it if you patch the sim.

The other option might be to pick a SF2 version and use it for all mods. In a proper stock merged install you should be able to do this.

Edited by DoctorQuest

Ok, got it. A couple other questions. Since I am late to the game, I cant seem to find some of the older versions of mods. For example, if I want the Nam expansion pack 2.0, it says it needs to be installed over the previous version, but I cant seem to find it anywhere.

And it probably exists, but how hard would it be to create a mod to add steam to the catapults on carriers? I just haven't seen any screens of that so Im not sure if it exists. Also, working fresnel lens? Air-air refueling?

'pults have steam.

No working fresnel lens (though in theory you could create one if you had access to the MAX file).

No A/A refueling.

FC

In theory you could install them to the "stock" folders in the root SF2 program directory. I think the risk there is the same with mods to ANY stock item in SF2: You risk losing it if you patch the sim.

That will not work, as the game engine will only read from the catalog (CAT) files in that directory. All mods go into what we refer to as the "mod" folders, they reside either under My Documents/Thirdwire, or under UserName/Saved Games/Thirdwire. Read through the knowledgebase before you begin modding...it'll save you a ton of grief.

Thanks FC, is the cat steam a mod or just part of the game? So the AA refueling and fresnel would be up to the creator of the game, TK to implement? What about the old FA audio files for carrier landings, they kind of directed you, better then nothing. I saw in some other post someone uploaded the old FA music, but something like this would have to follow the event which I would assume would be in the MAX file, whatever that is?

After a week of looking around here and gawking over the screen shots its seems like those two things would be basic combat sim stuff, Its the only areas FSX has over this game in my opinion, everything else blows FSX away.

One other thing while on the topic of rambling about nothing, how does SF deal with force feedback sticks?

Thanks Fubar, that is my next area to read through now that I am getting closer to finishing the build on my new machine.

Edited by Intruder7011

That will not work, as the game engine will only read from the catalog (CAT) files in that directory. All mods go into what we refer to as the "mod" folders, they reside either under My Documents/Thirdwire, or under UserName/Saved Games/Thirdwire. Read through the knowledgebase before you begin modding...it'll save you a ton of grief.

Thanks for keeping me honest. :)

So the AA refueling and fresnel would be up to the creator of the game, TK to implement?

Yes, as they both require coding by the developer, though one may be able to simulate the "meatball" to some degree, through clever .ini file and 3D modding.

What about the old FA audio files for carrier landings, they kind of directed you, better then nothing, but something like this would have to follow the event which I would assume would be in the MAX file, whatever that is?

The "events" necessary, are coded into the .dll files, and again, only the developer can add them

One other thing while on the topic of rambling about nothing, how does SF deal with force feedback sticks?

The series does support Force Feedback to some degree, butsomeone else will need to chime in, as I do not personally ,make use of it.

Hey thanks Fubar, sounds like its safe to say that those two things (AA refueling + Fresnel) are out indefinitely since I am asking about them and SF has been around for years. A shame really... I can't really think of anything else that hinders the game. Has TK said no, no and no?