Sign in to follow this  
Major Lee

What are we seeing here?

OK, I took this a year ago, and wonder if anyone can identify... I happened to look up and saw TWO aircraft at altitude in close proximity. By the time I got my little Canon SX110IS fired up, they had started to pull away from each other. The one in front was moving a bit faster. What are we seeing here? AF1 may have been in the area, since POTUS was in Chicago that day... What's with the lead plane? I thought AF1 did not do A2A refuel? Or is this an E4B? I have a few otehr pics, but not really any better ones...

mystery1.jpg

Edited by Major Lee

The 747 (2nd aircraft) is lower and closer to you. The smaller aircraft (looks like a DC9/MD80) is higher and farther away. Nothing special.

Ah, just a rare alignment, that makes sense. It pays to ask the experts! Thanks! :salute:

I'm with storm, at that time of day the higher plane contrail is still being lit by sun over the horizont while the lower closer (too low to form a trail I guess) one is "in the darK" so to say

At a glance the smaller one looks like Lear

Edited by Stary

They were heading east, and it was later evening... So lower 747 and higher aircraft making contrails tells the story.