Ever since Stary put his magic on the terrains (trees and etc), my enhanced terrains didn't look like the other users screenshots like fuller looking trees. Then few minutes ago as I looked at Ian's awesome tornado screens, it hit me. Does the detailmesh help of getting fuller looking trees and stuff? My computer specs are: 3.0 gig cpu, 8 gig ram, 8800gtx 768mb vid card. I dunno if fooling around the flightengine.ini would help on my gaming pc. Any thoughts?

Falcon

From what I understand it changes both how many terrain objects are displayed at one time and the distance they're displayed out until. For me changing the meshsize from 6 to 16 has really increased the load times (doubled from 20secs to about 40-60secs on a SSD) and I'm only getting 40-20fps on an i7@4.6Ghz with a GTX580 (on unlimited settings) so your card may not be able to cope with such a high number but if you kept increasing it by 1 and testing each time you should get a result your happy with.

Edited by ianh755

simply it sets how far in kilometers (Detailmeshsize=16 equals kilometers) trees and buildings, or TOD objects as they are popularly called, start to show, I think that the value is in kilometers anyway, but remember that TOD files cover whole tile which in standard SF maps is 2x2 kilometers so whole TOD shows even if one puts non power of 2 number (example: DetailMeshSize=7 will still render 8 kilometers range as whole 2x2 TOD object will load)

Falcon, the actual density of objects, or more correctly the amount of placed objects that are rendered before cutting their numbers is set by entries in given terrain's _data.ini entries:

[TerrainMesh]

(...)

SolidObjectVertexCount=16384

SolidObjectIndexCount=16384

AlphaObjectVertexCount=16384

AlphaObjectIndexCount=16384

I assume these are numbers of objects and poly numbers as hold in video memory, so on heavily populated maps like Taiwan you can try to doubling these values, when the engine hits the set limitation it skips given objects (or rather, parts of TOD file) from showing on tile

I hope that makes sense

I could find the terrain mesh on piecemeals desert3 1.2 terrain but couldn't find the detailmesh. I doubled the areas in the terrain mesh you showed me and it seems to gave me a slight FPS boost.

Falcon

PS. I am gonna d/l TW's new CAT tool and see if I can tweak the stock desert terrain.

I could find the terrain mesh on piecemeals desert3 1.2 terrain but couldn't find the detailmesh. I doubled the areas in the terrain mesh you showed me and it seems to gave me a slight FPS boost.

Look inside flightengine.ini

Ah I found it. So, I need to tweak all 4 detail meshs? Or the detail setting I have on in game?

Falcon

Edited by FalconC45

the one you have set ingame

To confirm, I need to put the ini file in the flight folder correct?

Falcon