HELP!

I turned on my computer when I got home from work and it won't post! All of my DM and FM files are on there and I can't get to them! Arggghhh!

More specifically, when I turn it on, I hear five short beeps in the pattern of 2-1-1-1 (two quick short beeps followed by a short pause, then three short beeps). All of my fans appear to be working, and I can hear the DVD spinning, but no video. I tried disconnecting and then reconnecting the DVD, hard drive, and floppy drive, but no luck. I unplugged my video card cable, but I have not removed the video card yet. The computer has been running fine for the last several months, and I have not changed or updated anything on it for at least that long. The only weird thing is that while booting up, it would occasionally reboot itself randomly, but this was very rare. The last thing I did was replace the heatsink and fan on my CPU, but that was over six months ago. Any suggestions?

Here are my specs:

Asus A8N-E MB

NVidia 8600 GT Video

Lite-On 16X DVD

Seagate SATA Drive HD

4 Corsair 1GB DDR-600 DIMMs

I may not be able to respond right away because of my computer problems, but I appreciate any help. Sadly, I had just finished my FM mod and was just about to wrap it up and send it to Madmatt who had agreed to put the files into a handy installation package. :angry2: :cry:

Believe it or not, it's hard to find out what those codes mean :( I don't think they are in the manual, far as I could find just now.

If you know who wrote the BIOS, it would be easier. There are quite a few web sites that list beep codes from the different BIOS vendors (AMI, Award, etc.).

All that failing, (with power UNPLUGGED, not just turned off) I'd disconnect/remove all the cards and drives that aren't needed to boot the machine, then carefully reseat (remove/replace) all the memory sticks and the video card. That code is either video or memory, I'm fairly sure. You can try swapping sticks of memory in sets of two as well. As long as you do this reseating etc. with the power disconnected, and you're careful when un/plugging, it won't hurt anything any worse than what may have already failed.

HTH

That might have different meaning, depending on the BIOS maker (not motherboard).

I disconnect every drive (including HDs) from the board. Then removed all the memory modules and the graphical card.

Would look in the motherboard for a jumper that reset the BIOS. In case I didn't find such a jumper (If you have the manual you can use to easy locate it), I would then remove the cell batteryand wait wait 10/15 minutes (no need if you use the jumper).

Then would insert the video card again and only a memory module. Switch the computer and pray.

If still I heard the same number of beeps, I would try the other memory modules (one at a time).

Still no sign, than probably it's a motherboard problem or even a graphic card. But you're only going to be sure once you begun to replace the components.

Sorry.

Edit: Tamper was quicker than I. Basically we follow the same procedures. :good:

Edited by Von Paulus

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml a list of them I think they vary from BIOS manufacturer. First thing I'd do is make sure your fans all work for sure, no dodgy slow spinning etc, especially the CPU - make sure the heatsink is on properly etc. Then make sure everything is seated in properly.

Some here too http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_beep_codes

Not sure if this will help or not. I can't find the exact "beep" pattern you describe. The closest one seems to indicate memory?

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/phoenixbeep.htm#

Do you have multiple memory cards? You might try taking the memory out, reseating it and try powering on again. If you have more than one card, try this with each. You should be able to run off one card with enough performance to recover your files.

One reference I've just now seen indicates that the 2-1-1-1 beep code says the CPU initial speed setting failed, FWIW. Not very helpful or encouraging, huh? <sorry>

If you're not completely uncomfortable doing so, another idea is to clear the machine's BIOS - but this does require a certain level of comfort dealing with the jumper to clear it, plus changing the settings back from default after clearing. As above, if you're careful and do it properly, it's not at all likely to harm anything or keep the machine from booting (unless something has already failed).

Edit: A tip-o-the-hat to VP who has already described the BIOS clearing idea. Well done :)

Edited by Tamper

Thank you for the quick replies.

I forgot to mention that I already tried removing all 4 memory sticks, one at a time, but that wasn't the problem. I also Googled for the 5 beeps, but there does not seem to be any clear consensus on what the codes mean--some say CPU, some say memory, and some say video. Another possibility is some kind of electrical short--some posts on the internet refer to similar beeps until the user either purchased a new MB or reinstalled the old one--possibly fixing the short.

Before I do that, I will try to clear the BIOS. I've done that before, so I'm not afraid to try it. If that fails, I'll remove all of the components sans video card and test. Next, I guess I'll have to remove the CPU and heatsink and remove and reinstall the MB. If that doesn't work, I'm up the proverbial creek.

It's midnight now, so I will update everyone sometime tomorrow when I can again get to a computer with internet access.

EDIT: The MB has an Award BIOS.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

I believe Asus motherboards have POST state LEDS on the board itself for CPU, DRAM, VGA and HDD. They will remain lit when a POST fails. I had to open the case on the system after I built it because it would not POST and the POST state LEDS helped to identify the problem.

One thing you mention is the system would ocassionaly reboot itself and that you replaced the cpu heatsink six months ago. It may be that the thermal compund is not dissapating heat well and may need to be re-applied to the heatsink. If your motherboard does have POST state LEDs and the POST state LED is illuminated for for a cpu error, I would definately start with re-applying thermal compund to the heat sink. If you do re-apply thermal compund, please make sure to use a good paste/compound. I have always used Arctic Silver.

I'll check back later in hopes of you resolving this issue or to see what progress you have made in identifying it.

Eric

I'm afraid things may have gone from bad to worse. Instead of 5 beeps, I now hear no beeps. Although the MB powers up and all the fans spin, I'm not hearing any beeps now. I wonder if I have somehow shorted the MB?

I thought I had made some progress when I took out my video card and replaced it with an older card. The computer seemed to boot normally, but then, because of the random rebooting problem, I decided to recheck the seating of the MB and heatsink. I think somewhere in the process of removing the heatsink and MB, I may have done something to the MB.

The main thing is that now the computer powers up and the fans spin, but no beeps and no video, even if I put the video card back. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the majority of bad motherboards I've ever seen will show those same symptoms: Power comes on, fans spin, but nothin else. Note this isn't a 100% guarantee the MB is bad, but it's often not a good sign. I'm sorry to persist, but you weren't specific: HAve you tried booting it with *everything* that isn't absolutely necessary unplugged/disconnected, as well as clearing the BIOS?

I'd also try pulling the whole thing again, on the chance you may have done something wrong this time that is correctable. The symptoms changed, so that's something of note. Besides, the worst that could happen is it does the same thing; you're no worse off for the effort and you might happen across the problem.

As a side note, if the memory has ever been removed or re-inserted with the power supply connected to power at all, that's a sure-fire way to have killed a MB (Not at all to find fault, dear friend, just to maybe try isolating what happened). Some folks don't know this, and are in the habit of doing these things without unplugging power - and the funny part is they get lucky a number of times...my brother did the same thing. The reason for this is many motherboards often maintain a voltage ("VSB" or 'stand-by' voltage) on the memory, for a feature like suspend-to-RAM to work.

Something else I thought of: Even if this machine contained all your valuable work, if you saved it to file(s) on your hard drive, it's still there. So, even if this machine won't boot, it may take some special arrangments, but you can get the files. Basically, all you'd need to do is connect that hard disk to another machine and copy the files off. If you have no way to do that yourself, I'd bet some fellow OFFer would help - I'd be happy to, myself, just that shipping would be involved.

I hope things work out, in any event.

I'd also try pulling the whole thing again, on the chance you may have done something wrong this time that is correctable. The symptoms changed, so that's something of note. Besides, the worst that could happen is it does the same thing; you're no worse off for the effort and you might happen across the problem.

+1

Recheck the heat sink and the CPU. Recheck memory slots and video card.

Again clean BIOS.

Have you remove the CPU from the socket? If that was the case look if you have bend a CPU pin when inserting it again.

Thanks Tamper and von Paulus.

The short from uninstalling and reinstalling memory is certainly possible. One of the first things I did before pulling out cards and such was to remove my memory sticks. Usually I am pretty good about pulling the power cord out before working in the case, but I have to admit that I sometimes forget. A bent CPU pin is another possibility, but I looked at it and couldn't see any obvious problems. I also tried an old CPU I had lying around but with the same result.

After I removed the memory, but before I removed the video card, I unplugged all of my drives and removed all of my cards, so I think I can eliminate those as possible problems. It looks more and more like a bad MB.

On the bright side, I was thinking about upgrading my system anyway in anticipation of P4. The main problem, of course, is money. :sad:

In anticipation of suggestions that I replace the MB, any suggestions that would allow me to keep my other components and gradually upgrade, rather than start with all new components? My CPU is an Athlon X2 3500 speed, 939 form factor. Does anyone make 939 MB's anymore, or am I going to have to get one with a new form factor along with a new CPU, etc?

I'm no AMD expert, but I believe that's an old socket. So it will be more hard to find. Maybe in ebay.

If you find one check if that motherboard will work with your memories.

You might have issues with the graphic card, because when you replace with an old graphic card it seems everything worked Ok. So you might have to buy a new card.

If that's the case, and you can't afford one, I'll give you my old extra graphic card a 8600GTS if you want. It's not a recent model but at least it is as good (I think it's a little better even) as your old card.

Herr Prop-Wache:

We have a lot of old computers in our store, and we scrap most of them. When I get back to work (I've been off due to a death in the family) I will check and see what we have lying around. If I find something that is half decent it's yours.

Tony

Wow! You guys are amazing!

Typhoon, that would be super! I don't mind putting together a Frankenstein of a computer, just as long as all of the parts work together.

If anyone can find an old 939 socket laying around, that would be the best solution, at least until P4 comes out. I have two 939 socket CPU's, so at least one of them should work. My current memory is also old, only DDR1, I think. Of course, I can still use my existing SATA hard drive and my DVD drive. I probably will have to find a new GPU, however. Depending on what Typhoon can scrounge up, the 8600 GTS would work fine and would actually be a step up from my old 8600 GT.

I'll need to take a day or two to decide to take you guys up on your offer, or just bite the bullet and spring for a new system. I can always go back to eating Raman noodles 2X a day. Who needs to eat?

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Herr Wasche. It's always a massive headache when these kites of ours refuse to fly. Here's hoping the problem is fixed soon. Your hard drive files should be perfectly salvageable I should think...

Currently, my options appear to be purchasing another 939 MB through Ebay for around $100 and waiting 7-10 days for shipping, or buying a new system from Newegg for $500-750 and getting it shipped in 3-5 days. Of course, if I just get a replacement MB, I am still faced with getting an eventual upgrade and I run the risk of a possibly "shady" ebay seller. Decisions, decisions... :stars:

I do not know whether you build your own computer, but often those beeps refer to either damaged, overheated, or just contact-lacking Ram-bars.

My first idea would be to plug out the mains connector (important!), then unscrew the housing, and remove the Ram bars. You can do a cleaning with a vacuum cleaner (careful) to remove the (often astounding) puffs and hairballs that have accumulated in the PC as well.

Dry-clean the ram bars, especially contacts, and plug them in again. When you then plug it in the mains, and start it, and no beeps, voilà. If it still beeps, take out one of the RAM bars (AFTER again UNPLUGGING of course), and try agin - maybe only one bar gave up.

Another idea is the small accumulator, or a graphic card fail - or the processor lacking contact, or a failing CPU ventilator - that depends on your mainboard. Usually the number of beeps indicate the problem, so you could look for a manual of your mainboard on the internet, if you do not have it as a hardcopy.

Good luck !

Wels

I think my MB is dead, Wels. Although it powers up and all of the fans spin, I'm not getting any beeps anymore and no video.

HPW, I have an Asus A8N-SLI premium motherboard. I sent you a message about it but I received a weird response. If you are interested send me a message by pm.

An update on my computer woes.

My MB may not be dead after all. I was messing around with it today, and instead of no beeps, I heard the five beeps again--but only once. Then, it was back to powering up, but no beeps. Could a dead CMOS battery be the cause of my boot problems?

Unfortunately, while removing and reinstalling my CPU and heatsink a dozen times or so, I think I bent the pins on my CPU! Damn! :angry2: :censored: So, it looks like I am now faced with an involuntary upgrade. Oh well, I was needing to upgrade anyway in anticipation of P4.

An update on my computer woes.

My MB may not be dead after all. I was messing around with it today, and instead of no beeps, I heard the five beeps again--but only once. Then, it was back to powering up, but no beeps. Could a dead CMOS battery be the cause of my boot problems?

Unfortunately, while removing and reinstalling my CPU and heatsink a dozen times or so, I think I bent the pins on my CPU! Damn! :angry2: :censored: So, it looks like I am now faced with an involuntary upgrade. Oh well, I was needing to upgrade anyway in anticipation of P4.

If you're talking about the battery on your mobo that could be the problem. I had an issue a year or so back and just replacing that battery fixed my issue. I think you have to keep it out for 15 minutes then reinsert. That stinks about your CPU. :this:

Can't your straight them? It happened once with me, and I not only bent it but broke it. I was lucky because it was one of those that wasn't important.

The battery "holds" what's in CMOS - the configuration settings people commonly refer to as 'BIOS screens'. Without it, your configuration dats is lost each time you turn off the PC. It can cause strange issues, although I'm not sure about something as involved as the issues you've had, HPW. Good news is, the batteries are fairly cheap - a few dollars - so if you want to rule it out, just try a new one. If it doesn't help,, keep the one you buy as a spare, worst case :)

Bent pins can be straightened, you just have to be really (really) careful; there's an enormous tendancy once it's bent for it to break when you try to bend it back (metal fatigue and all that). Plus, bending it straight can be a problem, too. However, like VP says, many of the pins aren't used or are used for voltage or ground and there are many of them, so you can sometimes 'get away' with cutting it off (itself not always easy if it's out in the middle somewhere, because you need to cut it flush with the CPU body). Check online to see what pin is bent and whether it's crucial.

I actually repaired a broken pin; sheared off flush with the body of the CPU on an old socket 370 P3 CPU. It worked afterwords, but I think doing this is very very rare. If a pin is bent or broken, most often, the odds are not very good. I tried this on a socket 478 P4 once, there was just no way...the pins on those are too small. I don't know how the socket 939 CPU compares to a P3 in terms of lead size.

Now, since a lot of folks are saying "bulls**t" in their minds right now (if not out loud *lol*), of course, I have pictures. You can see it below, it's the 9th pin from the left on the first row. The second picture, which isn't quite as focused, shows the same CPU after I replaced the pin. It's hard to see, but if you look t the actual connection on that same pin, you can see the solder fillet in the one I repaired is different, as compared to the other pins next to it.

post-46026-0-03059400-1333900338.jpg

post-46026-0-34114100-1333900683.jpg

post-46026-0-36093400-1333900785.jpg