Sign in to follow this  
W1ndy

Wait to buy Ph4 or buy Ph3 ?

Hello, I just finally bought combat simulator3 in order to get OFF .

I wonder if I should order the disc from the US and get flying.

If I do will I need to get another disc sent to me in New Zealand when Phase 4 is realeased, or is phase 4 available to download if you have the full game up and running ?

That's my question.

Hi W1ndy,

welcome to the wonderful world of OFF, you will have enormous fun.

To your questions:

To some extent the answer depends on the release date of OFF2. Proverbially it is in "2 weeks" time, this

has been the case since about the middle of last year. In other words, we don't know when the release will

be, alhough it is expected to be in the (northern) summer or possibly spring 2012.

There has been much speculation on this, please see some of the OFF2 discussion threads.

So given that OFF2 may be up to 5 months away I would advise purchasing OFF BHH up to HiTR.

Cheap as chips at the moment and imo outstanding bang for your buck.

It seems likely that OFF2 will be available as a download, although I am not certain of this.

Others more knowledgable here will be able to confirm.

Whether OFF2 is download or disc, it will not run with previous versions present. You will have uninstall

OFF Phase 2 and 3 when the time comes.

Hth.

Oh, and new blokes buy the drinks.

Cheers :drinks:

Thanks Rambling. I looked around but couldn't see this info. OK so I think I'll go ahead and get the Ph3 disc. A download for the next phase will be welcome, but either way it looks to be a very good release.

Your's is a Pims. Hope you like it. drinks.gif

W1ndy,

BHH is pretty damn good. Do advise you go the HiTR . You do get a substantially improved sim.

Be prepared to wait a few weeks for the BHH disc to arrive btw. It took abt

3 weeks or so to get here, but it may be better for you in NZ.

It takes a bit of tweaking to run really well. Nothing major and all covered in this forum.

I don't know what your rig is but OFF needs a "fast" (2.8 and more) CPU and alot of RAM.

I am definitely no expert so have a ferret around all the threads, a mine of info in here. The

Flanders Fields website has essential info abt system reqs, so go there first if in doubt.

Pims it is...

Cheers

Downloads for Huge Files are a money losing proposition, plus not everybody has cable. Or a very understanding little woman who doesn't mind you tieing up HER phone for a long period of time

Most people can get 99.999999% of the files, but that ain't ALL of'em

The Developers offer above average support.

But they must have a Constant to diagnose a problem, the DISC is that Constant :drinks:

My new question is, does anyone know if the phase 4 will include all of the content of BH&H , and even HitR ?

What I read suggests that phase 4 is mainly about overall tweaks and improvements, but not new campaign content, so my guess is that it will be a stand alone.

Hey Salvo2,

so long as it's sometime soon...

I'm biased towards a download because that means we

in the antipodes and other likewise "remote" places may

get our hot little hands on OFF2 at the same time as the

blokes in Europe and the US.

Mind you, there is an upside: by the time the disc wends

its way down here all the wrinkles will have been ironed

out by you guys...so, thanks in advance :grin: .

Not that there will be "wrinkles", obviously. (cough).

Cheers

The way I look at it, I'd rather wait an extra month of the Developers testing it, than adding Patches later

Who told ya to live with the Bloody Roos'

If you miss the release by a stinkin 6 hours, might be weeks before you can get the disc

I intend to wait quite a while for just that reason

Beats Hell out of waiting for the Postman :drinks:

Oh, I do agree, Salvo2,

let's avoid a CLOD.

I was bleeding born here m8 :grin:.

Fingers crossed on patches.

And here (now) I can sup a real beer as well as

a virtual, so,

cheers.

:drinks:

My new question is, does anyone know if the phase 4 will include all of the content of BH&H , and even HitR ?

What I read suggests that phase 4 is mainly about overall tweaks and improvements, but not new campaign content, so my guess is that it will be a stand alone.

Hi W1ndy,

to be fair I think OFF2 goes beyond overall tweaks and improvements.

That is why, I believe, it was decided to call it OFF2 rather than Phase 4.

Yes, I believe all Phase 3 content is included, but massively overhauled.

My understanding (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)is that OFF2

will include improved/new:

AI

FM

DM

Planes

Terrains

Cockpits

Skins

Amongst other features.

There will be Gothas and Zeps so I suppose there will be at least 1 new

Campaign.

Hth

Cheers

To wait for the next release is to waste valuable flying time! OFF HiTR is beautiful and challenging right now. If you bought CFS3 just to get OFF, then by all means jump in with both feet and get OFF! I've been free-flying trying to get used to these idiosyncratic birds, managing my mixture, etc, and the "Flightseeing" is remarkable. Wish I was at home, I could post some screenies, but there are plenty of those around here.

Best,

Tom

Edited by HumanDrone

I have to agree with people saying buy it, and HitR. I've not really played any other games for a couple of years now, and I've always enjoyed the ride that OFF offers. If OFF2 is twice as good as the current set up, it will be an absolute gem.

As for the DVD/download thing - it can be terribly timeconsuming downloading stuff like HitR unless you hae a very good internet connection (certainly not a given, even in the UK!), and I think I prefer the 'safety' of a DVD, as it's only too easy to download software and forget to back it up.

Hope you enjoy it when you get - do spend serious time on setting the CFS3 config files up, as it's an instant win, as they say. And look forward to raising your screen res!

Cheers,

Si

Update, I received my discs today ! Only about 10 days USA to New Zealand. Not bad. I haven't installed yet as my PC is waiting on a graphics card.

Question now, what does HitR add apart from aircraft ? Does it move the sim forward in campaign depth?

Are there any improvements to Flight models or graphics ???

Any opinios welcome on this. I'll post my impressions of BH&H when I can get flying.

Hi W1ndy the in depth features of HITR are here;

It adds more than just new aircraft and squads:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/Addon1.htm scroll down a bit below the New Aircraft section for features.

Also the updates to HITR added more

See here each release patch info is presented the http://www.overflandersfields.com/Downloads**tR.htm

[edit]Wow just realised the anti swearing code on the forum edits the URL to remove the "hi" - well go to the website anyway and find it on the downloads page ...

:blink:

Also note Wings Over Flanders Fields also will have substantial improvements in the campaign. We will reveal more when ready.

Edited by Polovski

I got the CD for OFF v3.1 in the first place. But all the others - 3.2 Super patch, 3.2g mini patch, Hitr and Hitr 4.6 have been downloads. I instantly copy them to a DVD and keep it with the original so that when (not if) I have to reinstall OFF I have all the disks.

Had to do it all over again yesterday because of some vague problem with an xml file.