stuntman

Question about fog and detailmeshsize

Hi guys

I've increased viewing distance as stary suggested recently: objectfade to FALSE and detailmeshsize to custom number.

However, i've notice that, when flying in inclement conditions, the buildings or their shadows appear as black boxes in the horizon (shadows are set on medium in graphic options).

I've found a fix as setting the same value in detailmeshsize (in the flightengine.ini) and in startclear (environmentsystem.ini, [fog] string). I set it at 6 in my case.

So, clear view up to 6 km in inclement conditions is not very realistic, so i just wonder if anybody had an other fix??

6 is 6 meters, you'd need to set StartClear= to 6000.0 to match DetailMeshSize=6

also notice that overcast uses negative values for fog distance

I've been trying this yesterday for Sweden tileset as it apparently seems that fog has impact on the fading of trees, notice when having objectsFade=true, in overcast trees fade even closer to POV

6 is 6 meters, you'd need to set StartClear= to 6000.0 to match DetailMeshSize=6

also notice that overcast uses negative values for fog distance

I've been trying this yesterday for Sweden tileset as it apparently seems that fog has impact on the fading of trees, notice when having objectsFade=true, in overcast trees fade even closer to POV

Sorry that's what I meant, 6000 meters in startclear and 6km in detailmeshsize. Do you know what these negative values stand for??

I was also wondering why only buildings are appearing in the horizon that way, and not the trees for exemple.

Edited by stuntman

simple: very unperfect graphic engine that becomes dumb as brick when it comes to alpha-channel based objects rendering ontop of alpha-channel based objects with fog thrown in;

secondly poor handling of the shadows in fog is a known issue too

the negative values are as I suppose, well to start fog behing the camera so to speak, to make it densier at the viewpoint; think of a white-black gradient carpet for example, white being full fog -you start with pure black normally, getting more and more white as you look forward, but with negative values you move forward and find yourself somewhere in the grey zone in the middle of it. I couldn't make simplier and more lame explanation, forgive me

hum, this evil alpha channel again...

Thanks for your answers stary ;)

yeah, it's a real bugger yet I guess few good days worth of coding to fix it