Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

Ammo for my Argument

Had to hit the books to make sure, but it looks like TK is right on this one. I can't find any reference to FAA Tooms carrying chaff, and what was in that clip was pyrotechnics.

I've shot an email off to a couple of guys who were around in the Phantom days to verify as they were a tad before my time (read 33 years :P) so I could be wrong... will let you know when they get back to me.

Craig

I've shot an email off to a couple of guys who were around in the Phantom days to verify as they were a tad before my time (read 33 years :P) so I could be wrong... will let you know when they get back to me.

Craig

Cheers bud. :salute:

I too followed up with some of my references and confirmed the same. No chaff/flares

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've had the DLC already but I thought that the '75 model was incorrect in that sense since looking at that clip on "Sailor".

Im a bit of a Phantom Phreak, so as best as i can remember it . . . . . . .

From mid 1980's RAF / RN Phantoms carried , on their inboard pylons (scabbed on installation toward the rear of the pylon, facing aft), the AN/ALE-40 (early) and AN/ALE-47 (later) systems.

There are photos on the web of F-4 RAF over Mount Kent in the Falklands, firing off flares, when i locate (read: Remember!) where i saw the photo, i will post up the link.

Chaff could also be bundled into the dispensers, typically flares were to port, chaff to starboard. The flare dispensers were angled down 15 degrees, the chaff dispensers were parallel to the wing chord line.

Many a time i had seen the flares being loaded into the dispenser by GC's wearing fireproof overalls.

they look like JATO bottles on the inner pylons.

On what picture where???? The fit im on about is small, wedge shaped, and scabbed onto the pylon itself. It doesn't impinge on weapon carry (it doesn't take up a pylon rail), and has IIRC a 42 shot capacity (Flare) and 28 shot (Chaff).

Those look like JATO/RATO and not Ordinace or Chaff, the flyby is a sequence were the pilot is firing the rockets in quick short bursts.

I wouldnt be surprised if they were using RATO on the F-4s off the carrier in the video, the catapult is crazy short compared to US Counterparts.

post-182-0-59649200-1333475585.jpg

Edited by SkateZilla

Found a few shots . . . .

2013.jpg

1341.jpg

dispensersf-4.jpg

. . . And the F-4 never used RATO/JATO for ship-borne ops, the steam-cat was plenty powerful enough. AFAIK there has never been a rocket assisted take-off by any F-4 in any service.