Sign in to follow this  
ShinKazama88

Air War 2020

A flight of 4 F-35C's, each loaded with two 1000 lb JDAMs, that have just launched from the USS Ronald Reagan, to strike a target deep inside Iran. Meanwhile F-15 Silent Eagles flying in from Saudi Arabia patrol the corridor that the F-35s are about to enter. And two EF-18 Growlers are leading the attack, performing air-suppression and preparing to destroy several SAM sites on the way to the F-35's target.

On an airbase near Tehran, Su-35s are about to scramble for interception as the strike force is detected...

The year is 2020...

Hey guys!

Thought I would start this one.

What, where and how would an Air War be like in 2020?

Leave your thoughts, theories, comments, and scenarios!

Here's a follow up,

Will PMC's play a bigger role in future conflicts? Companies they have fleet of fighting ships or have a squadron or two of refurbished F-16's?

I see your vision is somewhat inspired by the game in your signature ;-)

No, I do not belive PMCs will be the future of military conflicts. Mostly because they are simply too unreliable. In my opinion, there is no difference between PMC and Mercenaries (PMCs themselves say there is, but thats another story). You do not want Soldiers who just works for money. They need more then that to be loyal.

I see your vision is somewhat inspired by the game in your signature ;-)

No, I do not belive PMCs will be the future of military conflicts. Mostly because they are simply too unreliable. In my opinion, there is no difference between PMC and Mercenaries (PMCs themselves say there is, but thats another story). You do not want Soldiers who just works for money. They need more then that to be loyal.

Actually, I know someone that provides "Defense and Security Solutions" for Asian countries. I asked him about PMC's and Mercenaries. He told me that "PMC" is the same thing as a Mercenary. It just sounds more professional. The same thing applies to a "Hitman" being referred as a Contract-Killer.

Anyway, my friend told me that Mercs/PMC's would be loyal to the government. I asked why, and he gave a simple answer: the government pays the bill. 40% Downpayment, Monthly payment plans, and then a final contract completion payment.

He told me that PMC's are considerably cheaper during a small war since they can be called upon quickly for the conflict. They are well armed and well equipped for modern warfare. They also have training, upgrading and consultation services bundled with their contract. Once the conflict over, bill is paid, and your country's defense budget is still sound.

It will just be a repeat of the Thirty Years Wars with PMCs chancing sides all the time. They follow the money. That makes them unreliable.

Also, you pay a contract to the PMC and that's it. No benefits/pensions/healthcare/etc long-term to pay for, no worrying about getting them jobs, and so on. Naturally not worthy of a long-term and/or large-scale fight, but as said for smaller things it can make sense.