Sign in to follow this  
VFC_Baxter

Instal FE2 mods help

Having fun trying to install FE2 and mods on my new computer. I installed FE2 okay then thought I would try installing the Il2 clouds mod.

I am stuck on step 1 which is finding the environment.ini in the Flight directory. It does not exist, my SFP1e utility will not unpack any cat files I have and in search of a more recent version of SFP1e I can across this instruction:-

Fortunately this is a relatively easy fix. You won't need the Weapons editor, just the SFP1e .cat extractor utility available at CA in the Utilities download section.

I have no idea what CA stands for or where the CA in the Utilities download section is, but I do hve SFP1e in my data files. When SFP1e did not work for me I did try changing the file association of the cat files in case that was my problem. Unfortunately I have managed to get them locked into open with notepad, so could some kind soul please tell me what the association should be please so I can change them back. I have tried uninstalling Fe2 and reinstalling it but the file association is not changing back.

Also is there a acronym and jargon free set of mod instructions for computer clutz's like me to follow? I know if I can just do one mod then it will all flow but got to get there first.

That tool is on here but its very old - dont think it will work with the FE2 cat files

The Thirdwire extractor for SF2 should work just fine http://www.thirdwire...loads_tools.htm

Thank you that worked fine. I have bookmarked the link and deleted my old file. This sim is not one I want to mess about with in the early hours of the morning! Still not happy with those little puffy clouds though :-)

Use a cloud mod that is made for any SF2 series sim. In my experience, clouds made for a 1st gen sim will not work on a second generation one (apart from horizon cloud graphics) - I read it was due to a 'different particle system'. But SF2-compatible cloud mods should work with FE2. That's waht I did, tho I don't recall which (overhead) SF2 cloud mod I'm using, there are several.

Create manually any folders you need for a mod; when you install FE2, it only creates a basic set of mod folders (for Vista= in [username/Saved Games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2, not the main installation folder in Program Files or wherever you selected)) and you have to create any extra subfolders needed for a particular mod. You don't usually need to extrat .cat files; the mod will usually come with one you install into the appropriate mod folder, like a new environmentsystem.ini for the Flight (mod) folder.