dtmdragon

Game crashes at 80% loaded with add on terrains and SF2NA

Since installing SF2NA when I try to load any type of singlemission it always locks up and encounters an error at 80% with most of my addon terrains. It seems to do it with the terrains that use ships as targets orstatic/moving objects etc; such as Taiwan & Darwin. I have tried using thenew and old water maps, a ground objects folder with all the old ship objectsin it and a new ground objects folder with just SFNA upgraded ships in it. Butnothing seem to fix it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan.

gettung the same issues with Anatolia and a couple others (have to recheck)

I don't understand WHY it's breaking non-naval maps....

Does the game run if you cut the Terrains folder out?

Only thing you can do is remove each mod folder 1 by 1 to narrow down which mod files are causing the problem.

I can't figure it out either wrench, it’s very frustrating!

MigBuster, the game still works fine with all the stock terrains and terrains such as Afghanistan and New Zealand that don't call for any ship models etc.

Edited by dtmdragon

75+% is usually ground objects, textures and map files.

as if i put illegal entires in carrier inis it locks at 70% every time, remove the entries it loads fine.

ask your self what does those terrains have that the others dont? extract the INIs and compare.

Cheers mate, what were all the .ini files you had to remove the carrier entres from, i'm assuming at least the types.ini file? Getting a heavily modded install up to SF2NA standards is becoming quite a job!

75+% is usually ground objects, textures and map files.

as if i put illegal entires in carrier inis it locks at 70% every time, remove the entries it loads fine.

ask your self what does those terrains have that the others dont? extract the INIs and compare.

Edited by dtmdragon

I didn't want to say this on an open fourm, but...

I fear the days of modding might be nearing their end.

and I have 4 or 5 terrains still in the works...

Somebody should write a cat extractor that we can use on ALL cat files.

I'm sure it is possible.

Kodiak.

Hmmmmm, I think you may be right.....

If that be the case Thirdwire just made a deathwish. The game is distinctly lacklustre without mods.

Hey Wrench, if thats the case, a site like this will still be around with all the previous mods/addons for the previous series correct?..... or does it all just go away if modding capability goes away?

it'd be pointless to have server space and bandwidth for mods of a game that isnt moddable, and TW updates their Install files when they release a patch, so at this point everyone that buys SF2:NA is buying the April Version.

SF2 before the DLC Patches w/ the Old CATs was the best because everything was moddable, then came the lockdowns on the CATs, the ViewDistance, and other Terrain features because too many people were having "issues" with the Draw Distance and Z Buffer that was quickly bypassed instead of fixed.

Edited by SkateZilla

it ain't going nowhere!

it ain't going nowhere!

drinks.gif

Good to know.... been here like 2 weeks building a new computer and pit for this game and FSX and modders are all of a sudden leaving and things seem grim. If I can fly around in Nam with all these great mods courteous of you all I'll be a happy camper.

Whats with all the lock downs and making games less open? Is it a pride thing or money thing?

Basically everybody jumped on the DLC-wagon because they saw Call of Duty make billions of $ with the concept.

I was the first to point out this crashing-at-80% problem in the patch thread, immediately after the patch hit, but no one paid any attention. : [ Korea, Libya, Taiwan, and Waterworld all have this issue on my end.

Looking through the .ini files and comparing them with working terrains, nothing stands out as obvious right away. All the effect shader callouts seem to be okay, though I don't know enough about the those with regards to the changes SF2NA and the recent patches may have made. Adding or removing NavalMap=TRUE doesn't seem to help. Same with water maps. Maybe it's a conflict caused by all the ships assigned as targets in the TYPES.ini files?

wait, wasn't I saying something among these lines after the locked CAT affair?

Yah, nothing has jumped out at me either. I've compared all the 4 stock terrain data inis, freshly pulled, with ALL the terrains, and they're exactly the same.

Maybe it's a conflict caused by all the ships assigned as targets in the TYPES.ini files?

well, there's only one way to test that....remove the docked warships by renaming their callouts in the targets inis, like so:

Target[063].Type=xHMASAustralia

Target[063].Offset=-1385,233

Target[063].Heading=90

Target[064].Type=xHMASMelborne

Target[064].Offset=-1370,88

Target[064].Heading=90

Target[065].Type=xSUMNERFRAM2

Target[065].Offset=-1300,335

Target[065].Heading=90

(note the "X" on the Type= line

Here's a partial list of terrains in my 'all is everything SF2 install', full updated and Full-5 merged, of terrains taht lock at 80% (mind you, 2 listed are NOT yet available)

ASW

Anatolia (V2)

Libya

CubaOTC -which WAS working before the April patch, btw! (as was seemingly most things)

Darwin (modern)

Korea (KAW mod)

these terrains seem to 'hang' at 80 for 30 sec-1 minute (or more), but eventually start

Iran/Iraq

IR 2003

SoCal

Persian Gulf

Sweden

of the 'naval maps',

DBS

Panama

seem ok. Panama has a wealth of docked ships, but not too many combatants. PG has several docked warships, and a working 'carrier zone', and althoug loading slow -also a consequence of my heavy hand in populating maps- seems relatively ok.

Those that DON'T have oceans,

Himalaya

Afghanistan

Eritrea/Ethopia (ok, a small ocean, but NO carrier zones)

have no issues (obviously!)

So, I don't have a frakking clue as to what causing it; other than something introduced with the 4/12 patch.

Stary: yes you did. I was just in Egypt about the whole thing (ie: in DeNile :grin: )

Edited by Wrench

Yah, nothing has jumped out at me either. I've compared all the 4 stock terrain data inis, freshly pulled, with ALL the terrains, and they're exactly the same.

Here's a partial list of terrains in my 'all is everything SF2 install', full updated and Full-5 merged, of terrains taht lock at 80% (mind you, 2 listed are NOT yet available)

ASW

Anatolia (V2)

Libya

CubaOTC -which WAS working before the April patch, btw! (as was seemingly most things)

Darwin (modern)

Korea (KAW mod)

these terrains seem to 'hang' at 80 for 30 sec-1 minute (or more), but eventually start

Iran/Iraq

IR 2003

SoCal

Persian Gulf

Sweden

of the 'naval maps',

DBS

Panama

seem ok. Panama has a wealth of docked ships, but not too many combatants. PG has several docked warships, and a working 'carrier zone', and althoug loading slow -also a consequence of my heavy hand in populating maps- seems relatively ok.

Those that DON'T have oceans,

Himalaya

Afghanistan

Eritrea/Ethopia (ok, a small ocean, but NO carrier zones)

have no issues (obviously!)

So, I don't have a frakking clue as to what causing it; other than something introduced with the 4/12 patch.

Stary: yes you did. I was just in Egypt about the whole thing (ie: in DeNile :grin: )

I know how you feel guys. My "Desert3" terrain has a problem with regard to my edited Operation Quick Sand, which uses Desert3. I can fly with the RAF or Mercs, but the game freezes in the Campaigns menu after selecting USAF, USN or USMC squadrons when I click the "Accept" tab.

Tried it out as well with the stock Desert terrain - same result. This has been going on since I installed SF2NA, despite comparing and editing terrain and campaign files. Driving me f**king mad, this :dntknw:

I must be a lucky one as terrains with ships like Libya, Taiwan (Formosa) & Spain (Peninsula Iberica) all work for me in SF2:NA Apr '12 patch as single missions along with land-locked terrains like the Mescalero Proving Grounds (Range). They also work fine in SF2:E with the Apr '12 patch too. :dntknw:

***EDIT*** - I'm just installing some of the other Terrains in Wrenchs "won't load" list to see if they do for me?

Edited by ianh755

That's why I've been looking for a crash tracer!!! So I could take a look where the crash happens!

I had a program back in the days of Jane's F-15 for that and it work perfectly, it told me where the *.exe crashed with whatever it was doing or trying to open!

That program doesn't work anymore with my Windows 7, pitty :(

Anybody knows of a crash tracer program and I'll be able to find out the crash trouble.

My best regards, Kodiak.

I get these same crashes, but except for a couple of terrains it seems to happen only at random. And I DO get them on stock map single missions once in a great while. I don't think it has to do with the ships, because I've been getting random crashes for pretty much ever since I got the SF2 series and started modding it. I think on my end it has to do with old or conflicting ground objects, specifically AAA pieces, which are randomly chosen for each mission.

Here's the weird thing. I can fly campaigns on these terrains with no trouble. It's the single missions where I get the 80% dump. I'd fix it, but I ain't annoyed with it enough to break my lazy over it.

Ok, here's the Terrains I've just installed that were on Wrench's list (straight from CA with no extra ini editing etc) and ALL of them work for me in both SF2:NA and SF2:E both at Apr '12 patch level -

Anatolia V2

Cuba OTC+

ASW

CentUS

Darwin

These I had already installed and work too -

Spain

Libya

Taiwan

Range (Mescalero)

Germany Photo-Real

UK Photo-Real

The only "issue" I've seen at 80% is that some of the terrains loading speed slows down (Anatolia takes 45secs from 80% to 100%). Now I have a very high spec PC with all my SF2 on an extremely quick SSD which may have something to do with mine working fine as all my Missions normally load within 20-30secs (0-100%) yet the Anatolia terrain added nearly a minute. :dntknw:

The single minor problem I've had has been the game freezing when I die, although this is extremely rare.

Edited by ianh755

I must be a lucky one as terrains with ships like Libya, Taiwan (Formosa) & Spain (Peninsula Iberica) all work for me in SF2:NA Apr '12 patch as single missions along with land-locked terrains like the Mescalero Proving Grounds (Range). They also work fine in SF2:E with the Apr '12 patch too. :dntknw:

***EDIT*** - I'm just installing some of the other Terrains in Wrenchs "won't load" list to see if they do for me?

Are your Mod folders in the default location on win 7 - and do you have all the SF2 games merged or just NA and E?

Edited by MigBuster

I don't think it's because of TK locking things up or intentionally crashing the terrain mods.

it's a loose INI or LOD file somewhere that doesn't conform to the new variables/syntax in SF2NA.

Like Ian's setup I have no problems running most those terrains.

Yes occasionally I also get a crash but more than likely It's because of a mod or edit I just did.. I roll back and get a working install again..

EDIT: All merged, SF2NA.

Between %80-100 all the groundobjects/terrain stuff is loaded IMHO, that's why with all the static Aegean ships and gazillion target areas, Anatolia takes about 40-60secs to get to %100 load.

Edited by PureBlue