Can anyone tell me the modes and ranges for radar in the SF2 series. I understand all aircraft are different and will have different modes and ranges, just looking for what the increments of the radar ranges are (from minimum to max) as well as all the modes available.

I am creating a template for a panel in my cockpit in CS5 right now but still dont have access to the game to check myself. Id appreciate any info... putting radar mode selection and range on the panel via rotary switches.

US aircraft typically have air-to-air range scales in miles such as 5/10/25/50/100/200 -- F-4 series

Some aircraft have a minimum range scale of 10.

Their ground mapping modes usually have 2 to 4 scales in miles, something like 10/20/40.

Attack aircraft radars with no air-to-air capability usually have two modes: ground mapping and collision avoidance.

Multimode radars usually have:

1. either boresight or autoacquire modes

2. search (range-while-search)

3. track

4. later airacraft may have TWA (track while scan)

5. ground mapping

6. many have a collision avoidance mode

The F-14 has a completely unique radar that gets its own dll file defining its special displays and functionality.

You can find some detailed descriptions of radar functionality using the online help guide at Third Wire Productions.

Awesome, thanks for the help, I'll check those descriptions out and see what I can do with the switches, maybe use two 6 position rotary switches so I can get all the possibilities

Edited by Intruder7011

I don't think SF is gonna support a rotary switch the way you are hoping for, in SF you don't select a radar mode with a specific button ...... You cycle through various modes using one specific button ( page up ) and (page down) to cycle range

I use two buttons on my MFD to cycle forwards or backwards through range and two others to cycle modes.

I don't think SF is gonna support a rotary switch the way you are hoping for, in SF you don't select a radar mode with a specific button ...... You cycle through various modes using one specific button ( page up ) and (page down) to cycle range

I use two buttons on my MFD to cycle forwards or backwards through range and two others to cycle modes.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that and ways around it. I just got my G940 in the mail and I think I might stick the radar modes/ranges on that, I ran into the same issue after reading the manual about bomb ripples and intervals... maybe put the radar mode/range and bomb ripple/interval on the throttle P buttons? ...maybe.

I made a quick template in CS5, its in no particular order or anything, not really to scale either, I was just seeing what I could do in the hour I had free last night. I think I want to still have a working panel, any thoughts about controls I could put in the panel? The ones I have are the ones I thought would be nice on a panel but with the issues above any thoughts?

Cheers

Well I have radar commands set up on my left MFD (on/off, cycle modes back or forwards, radar range up or down) on my right MFD I have a mixture of various view and game commands (panel view, missile view, external view, simulation rate, print screen, pause).....on my UFP (up-front-panel) I have (AP, Hud, IFF, A-A, A-G, map, waypoint, Nav modes)

On the left side I have Gear, Flaps up and down, ECM, and Jettison stores. In the center between my UFP and the lower map I have an eject handle which when pulled alone it doubles as a brake but when used with CNTRL/EJECT it punches you out.

Here is the layout of my HOTAS

post-39468-0-11031200-1333986693.jpg

Nice, what do you use for the eject handle? A momentary switch... I was thinking about using one that is normally on, then when you pull the handle it moves off the button (turning it on).. but wasnt sure if it was worth it if you cant eject... sounds like you can. good.gif

Thanks for the tips, I'll post some photos when I am done, still planning certain things out right now and deciding what would go well on the panel

Edited by Intruder7011

No momentary switches......everything is based on an old keyboard

Here are a few shots from the construction process

post-39468-0-49703200-1334161459.jpg

post-39468-0-20894800-1334161468.jpg

post-39468-0-10556900-1334161476.jpg

post-39468-0-29207300-1334161497.jpg

post-39468-0-20721200-1334161576.jpg

post-39468-0-45896100-1334161486.jpg

Interesting, I like that idea, didn't even cross my mind. I am going to look into maybe going that route. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier... no interface exchange between the switches and the USB keyboard... Thanks for the post!