Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

OT-f-35 Sea Trails

First carrier sea trials with no arresting hooks. The blurb as follows:

This videolink is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (HamptonRoads), Virginia.

These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with74 VL's and STO's in a three week period.

The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and washsailors overboard. Neither of which happened.

You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates.

That was an intentional part of the sea trials. No catapult... No hook.... It’s a new world out there!

The shape and scope of warfare – worldwide – just changed.

F-35B SORRY. THIS GOT POSTED TWICE.

Edited by Hauksbee

I get to see this thing a few times a week on the base where I work. Being a rotor guy I must admit it is impressive in a hover, noisy as all hell but impressive none the less. Interesting that the USS Wasp got the nod for this. I was able to be a part of the inital sea trails of the V-22 onboard the USS Wasp many years ago.

It's always impressive to see VTOL jets do their thing. The first time I saw a Harrier showing off was at Pope AFB in the late 70's. My first wife and I were having lunch at the snack bar, which was at the base of the control tower, when this absolutely awful roar arose outside. We looked out and there it was, settling onto the runway about 250 yards away. I swear it was louder than listening to RF-4's run up their afterburners prior to takeoff less than half that distance at my first base. Fuel consumption makes this practice pretty much a "training, show or as-needed only" option, though, and I'm sure catapults and arresting cables will be the normal order of business.

Still, very cool. :salute: