Sign in to follow this  
sceptre

critical error meesage

I got a crirtical error message "cannot launch OFF... try reinstallinf OFF"

Ok go and reinstall new message while loading cannot move file "splash exe."

My anti virus says that I have a trojan in OFF directory/ SPLASH called HEUR.VB.dm0@dqpbkli

WTH.

- ran full system scan.....nothing

- re installed full OFF and CFs3

- again " OFF Man fatal error loading menu,"

- " a fatal non recoverable error has occured starting up OFF. suggest unistall....blah blah

- did a full uninstall and reinstall twice more same s**t........can i get my money back!

what I dont understand is that OFF was running great. then BAM. I went to go play then this. the original install was with my current antivirus software. this is what is so frustrating, if its a trojan it is only affecting OFF and nothing else. Here is the killer thing I just finished reformating my computer 2 months ago cause I had issues that was giving me intermittend problems with OFF. and other things. it had been 4 years. AHHHHHHH!

Oh ya... i did turn off real time scan when reinstalling the third time, no change. Even if I do dump my antivirus and install OFF, When I go and reinstall my antivirus it will just do the same thing. the problem seems to be after the install of OFF.

Did you delete the stuff that the uninstall exe leaves behind? I had a few issues installing OFF as well but managed to get things right. I usually just go to the work shop thingy in OFF and hit the reset button, sure it deletes your pilots but it's better than doing an uninstall and reinstall. But each to their own.

Did you delete the stuff that the uninstall exe leaves behind? I had a few issues installing OFF as well but managed to get things right. I usually just go to the work shop thingy in OFF and hit the reset button, sure it deletes your pilots but it's better than doing an uninstall and reinstall. But each to their own.

:mad::helpme:I've done 3 complete uninstalls and reinstalls. I cannot even get into workshop. Its something to do with my antivirus, all of a sudden its giving me a false read. Bittdefender does not like this "splash.exe " file.

This has happened to a few other people on occasion, but they have all been able to fix the problem.

Did the problem start after updating your virus definitions? Is there any way to roll back to an older definition file? Try emailing customer support for you virus protection and explaining the problem to them. For whatever reason, some virus program's anti-virus heuristics are too sensitive and give a false positive for one or two OFF install files.

As a temporary solution, uninstall whatever virus program you are using and install one of the freeware virus programs like Avast. Then, go to the OFF web site and follow exactly the instructions for removing OFF and then reinstalling it. Be sure to delete all OFF folders after uninstalling. Then, make sure to install OFF exactly as instructed, including all the appropriate patches. Hopefully, OFF should now work.

Good luck and keep at it. OFF installs can be finicky and you have to be patient and follow all install instructions exactly. But I have never heard of anyone who has not been able to get OFF up and running.

One last thing: if you still can't get OFF to work, contact OBD support. They will gladly help you determine what the problem is.

:crazy: thank PROP...I was going crazy thinking why does this crap seem to be only happening to me.

- Antivirus has auto update, as to roll back good idea, I'll see if i can.

- one good thing about buying software versus craked versions, is that I can rip'em a new assh&*%$$le on customer support. Which is exactly i've done just waiting now cause its a holiday weekend.

I'm going thru OFF withdrawl man............I need to feel the cyber wind thru my hair that castor oil in my nose, as a fellow knight of the air plane fills my sights.....and I let lose a burst.

Hey its better than doing crack and hoes......................... I might try it if i cant figure this out

This has happened to a few other people on occasion, but they have all been able to fix the problem.

Did the problem start after updating your virus definitions? Is there any way to roll back to an older definition file? Try emailing customer support for you virus protection and explaining the problem to them. For whatever reason, some virus program's anti-virus heuristics are too sensitive and give a false positive for one or two OFF install files.

As a temporary solution, uninstall whatever virus program you are using and install one of the freeware virus programs like Avast. Then, go to the OFF web site and follow exactly the instructions for removing OFF and then reinstalling it. Be sure to delete all OFF folders after uninstalling. Then, make sure to install OFF exactly as instructed, including all the appropriate patches. Hopefully, OFF should now work.

Good luck and keep at it. OFF installs can be finicky and you have to be patient and follow all install instructions exactly. But I have never heard of anyone who has not been able to get OFF up and running.

One last thing: if you still can't get OFF to work, contact OBD support. They will gladly help you determine what the problem is.

I have to swear off the crack and hoes for awhile, now that I have decided to build a new system! :wink:

Keep us informed about your problem.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Sceptre,

I as had problems with reinstalling OFF. After some digging around in windows 7 I discovered that when you uninstall it leaves a directory in the following location:

C:\Users\[your name]\appdata\roaming\microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

After I had deleted that directory (after uninstalling OFF) and rebooting I was able to install and run OFF without any problems. Of course my problem related to the keyboard configuration, and not an error message when starting OFF.

:suicide: A new system !!!!!!!! lucky dog. I gotta a deck to build this summer for the house I cant justify a new rig. But If I get rid of my wife hmmmmm.

Ya I'll keep info flowing. I wont have time till the week end.

damm , curses $##Y#!! getting old and having responsibilities truly SUCK!!!!!

I have to swear off the crack and hoes for awhile, now that I have decided to build a new system! :wink:

Keep us informed about your problem.

Just to let you know there is no virus or trojan in OFF sceptre, so if your AV reports it as such it's either a false detection or a virus etc added from another program already running on your PC.

The only false detection clashes we are aware of were free MS Antivirus and AVG with HITR add on

(I believe they both updated since and corrected that).

Maybe unplug from the internet disable your AV install and confirm OFF is working. Then enable your AV, if it barfs then please contact the vendor of the AV and tell them which file it doesn't like - you may need to submit the file to get it accepted by them whatever.

From the FAQ:

"OTHER KNOWN HITR ISSUES

PLEASE don't forget to make a good backup of the OverFlandersFields_HitR.zip file somewhere safe for future use (on external USB or on a backup DVD) in case you need to reinstall HITR after rebuilding your PC for example. Due to the time involved we cannot re issue downloads if you did not purchase download insurance when you purchased, and your initial link has since expired.

Microsoft Security Essentials: Unzipping / unpacking the Hat in The Ring download sometimes hangs when nearly complete.

Known issue with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). This is a free Anti-Virus / securtity program from Microsoft. Unfortunately on some Windows 7 installs (possiby other versions of Windows too) it causes the unzipping of the Hat In The Ring download to fail or seems to hang. Simply disable MSE temporarily and unzip and install Hat In The Ring, then reenable security afterwards.

To disable MSE: open up 'Microsoft Security Essential's 'Settings', then from the list of options in Settings on the left highlight 'Real-time protection' and delete the tick from the "Turn on real-time protection" box and finished by selecting save. Obviously after installing HITR re-enable this and save. (thanks to Mick for that). Note these have not been verified by OBD Software, but reported as fixing the issue by our users.

Also see this forum post for similar discussion

http://combatace.com/topic/50879-major-install-issues-hitr/

Also note a couple of anti-virus programs incorrectly detect OFF Manager as a virus. AVG have since updated their AV signatures to stop this false postive, and Avira also may need to be fully updated to stop this."

All is "well" again on the western front...............I followed the in the instructions on that other guys post who was having the same problem with Bittorrent. And i'm back in the air.

Till my wife comes around and reminds me of life. .....

Man its sucks growing up and resposibilities 'n crap.

HAPPY HUNTING