Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Devil Dogs of the Air

I caught this 1935 film on T.V. A lot of Hollywood junk,but it did contain a filmed U.S. Navy and Marine fleet exercise on the California Cost. The Fleet ( Pre-WWII Battleships, 4 stack destroyers and the U.S.S. Saratoga ( A carrier that was later sunk in WWII) All covered by Navy and Marine( I could I.D. a Boeing F4B4 dont know about the others) 2 wing aircraft.

A lot were shown just flying by in Vics. One was an Lo type landing in the water and then coming up the Ramp onto land

gallery_50835_351_18483.jpg

gallery_50835_351_177729.jpg

Edited by carrick58

Isn't it amazing, how they didn't need any high-tech computer tricks to produce a good atmosphere?

And this is one of the unfortunate Devil Dogs that didn't make it.

drakesdevildogs.jpg

One minor quibble. The USS SARATOGA (CV-3) wasn't sunk in WWII. It was sunk later at the at Bikini Atoll Atomic bomb tests. She survived the first blast ( an air burst) but was sunk by the second underwater blast detonated 500 yards (500 m) from the carrier. I think it says something about the workmanship that after surviving WWII, it took two A-bombs, and no crew onboard to conduct damage control to finally sink the SARATOGA.

Steve Lohr ( former crewmember of her successor, USS SARTOGA (CV-60))

I caught this 1935 film on T.V. A lot of Hollywood junk,but it did contain a filmed U.S. Navy and Marine fleet exercise on the California Cost. The Fleet ( Pre-WWII Battleships, 4 stack destroyers and the U.S.S. Saratoga ( A carrier that was later sunk in WWII) All covered by Navy and Marine( I could I.D. a Boeing F4B4 dont know about the others) 2 wing aircraft.

A lot were shown just flying by in Vics. One was an Lo type landing in the water and then coming up the Ramp onto land

gallery_50835_351_18483.jpg

gallery_50835_351_177729.jpg

One minor quibble. The USS SARATOGA (CV-3) wasn't sunk in WWII. It was sunk later at the at Bikini Atoll Atomic bomb tests. She survived the first blast ( an air burst) but was sunk by the second underwater blast detonated 500 yards (500 m) from the carrier. I think it says something about the workmanship that after surviving WWII, it took two A-bombs, and no crew onboard to conduct damage control to finally sink the SARATOGA.

Good info Thanks Steve my mistake.

I found this list of a/c used in the film D.Dogs at Military Aviation Movie List at coastcomp.com

Devil Dogs of the Air

1935 v

USMC- Jimmy Cagney; Cocky stunt flier joins Marines. Filmed at NAS North Island with some real rare types. Stearman C-3B ("Vought 02U-1") Boeing F4B-4, Travelair 4000 crash, Ford RR-4 Trimotor, Loening OL-9, Curtiss RC-1 Kingbird, Vought 02U-1's of VJ-7M, Curtiss OC-1/2's.Vought 03U-6's of VO-8M. Boeing F4B-3 of VB-4M.

One question if anyone knows ? I understand that in Marine Talk that a VO unit would be Observation, VF= Fighters VB = bombers, But what was a VJ unit ?

In the 1925-46 period "VJ" was fixed wing Utility or General Utility Squadrons. DUring the 1950's it was used to designate photographic or weather reconnaisance squadrons. See http://www.history.navy.mil/download/dictnry/appendx4.pdf

Best,

Steve Lohr

I found this list of a/c used in the film D.Dogs at Military Aviation Movie List at coastcomp.com

Devil Dogs of the Air

1935 v

USMC- Jimmy Cagney; Cocky stunt flier joins Marines. Filmed at NAS North Island with some real rare types. Stearman C-3B ("Vought 02U-1") Boeing F4B-4, Travelair 4000 crash, Ford RR-4 Trimotor, Loening OL-9, Curtiss RC-1 Kingbird, Vought 02U-1's of VJ-7M, Curtiss OC-1/2's.Vought 03U-6's of VO-8M. Boeing F4B-3 of VB-4M.

One question if anyone knows ? I understand that in Marine Talk that a VO unit would be Observation, VF= Fighters VB = bombers, But what was a VJ unit ?

. Filmed at NAS North Island with some real rare types. Stearman C-3B ("Vought 02U-1") Boeing F4B-4, Travelair 4000 crash, Ford RR-4 Trimotor, Loening OL-9, Curtiss RC-1 Kingbird, Vought 02U-1's of VJ-7M, Curtiss OC-1/2's.Vought 03U-6's of VO-8M. Boeing F4B-3 of VB-4M.

With a cast of characters like this, who can say 'No'? Unfortunately, Netflix isn't carrying this title.

Just watched a documentary on Bikini today, and it reported that even after the two blasts, Able and Baker, it took 8 hours for Saratoga to go down! She would at the very least allowed her crew to leave her in an orderly manner. What a lady!!!