Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Finally patched up to April 2012 and need some clarification

Hey guys,

I have been busy with RL lately and have casually followed most of the "post-SF2NA" threads but haven't been able to completely keep up with everything that's been discovered. I updated my installs to April 2012 this morning and want to start taking advantage of:

1. USN units start on carriers in single missions.

2. Task forces appearing in campaigns and single missions.

3. Aircraft parked on the decks of my stock carriers.

For 1 - I need to install the water maps and add NavalMap=True to my terrains (I know where the DL is). Is there anything else I need to do?

For 2 - For campaigns I need to add the task forces to my campaigns (I can look at the ODS campaigns to figure out how to do this). I also need to add a names file for the ships, right? I saw some of them in the DL section. Anything else I need to do for campaigns? What do I need to do to get task forces in single missions?

For 3 - I think I saw some parking entries posted in a thread at one point, but can't find them now. I assume they need to be added to the data.ini for my stock carriers. Is there another entry that needs to be in the aircraft's data.ini to allow it to be parked on a carrier (I thought I saw that at one point)? Anything else I need to update?

I know all this information is out there, but I'm hoping that someone who's kept up better will be able to help me pull it all together. Maybe all this could go in the KB...?

Thanks!

Edited by malibu43

As regards the NavalMap parm and water maps....

I can't get a mission to start on a carrier in SF2E. I think I've done everything right.

For every other terrain I've mucked with, yes, the water map and NavalMap parm all seem to do the trick. And I've even tried it with some OLD SF1 terrains (after making my own watermap).

did you paint in the 'naval zone' on the water bmp?

did you paint in the 'naval zone' on the water bmp?

I'll have to check it. I supposedly downloaded one that had been updated. Could be he wrong color was used now that you mention it.

As regards the NavalMap parm and water maps....

I can't get a mission to start on a carrier in SF2E. I think I've done everything right.

For every other terrain I've mucked with, yes, the water map and NavalMap parm all seem to do the trick. And I've even tried it with some OLD SF1 terrains (after making my own watermap).

In your *nations.ini file for the map that you wanna start of a carrier, the FIRST nation needs to be USN.

If the first nation is NOT USN then you will start of a land airbase! So first friendly nation needs to be USN

Also, if in the enemie nations the first nation is Soviet your strikes will be at te soviet naval fleet!

If the first enemie nation is NOT Soviet then you will strike a landbased ground target!

The ORDER of nations in your *_NATIONS.INI files is important for naval missions!!!

My best regards, Kodiak.

:salute:

I've always just been able to add USN to the friendly nations and had it work fine that I could fly from carriers. Hell, on my modded Madagascar map, USN is, like, 5th and I get carrier missions with carrier based A/C every time.

add Navalmap=true to your terrain.ini

add USN or any other carrier-driving nation into your terrain_nations.ini

add splotches of green into the red zones on your terrain_water.bmp Best program to use for this is photoshop just because you can select to edit ONLY the areas with red color.

The water map areas in the GermayCE terrain are quite claustrophobic. I don't like to fly Navy on that map. Not without more space between me and dirt. Lol. But I haven't yet run into the problem of carriers driving over land just yet.

Tell you what, post your 1st data block in your terrain.ini and your complete terran_nations.ini and let us have a look at them.