Polovski

OFF2 DEVELOPMENT Screenshots

Lower wing missing. Top wing crumpled. Engine and cockpit on fire. Looks to me like a German AA crew earned it's pay for the day.

Very nice DM effects. Again, I must say, the scenery and terrain looks like a photograph. It never fails to impress. Thank you for sharing!

Hellshade

Some more - Dogfighting over the lines

post-7478-0-41836700-1335194725.jpg

post-7478-0-30802600-1335194727.jpg

post-7478-0-24494600-1335194729.jpg

post-7478-0-87952500-1335194732.jpg

Gee - ground smoke/gas improved, clouds improved - autumn trees also seem to look better!

I've never seen the pale sun like in that picture No. 2 yet - great overall impression!

Oh, the waiting - how long, until I burst?

Edited by Olham

Impressive. :drinks:

It'll be a special day when OFF2 is released and I start playing it for the first time. So many new things to see and try!

Amazing colors. The OFF 2 screen shots often blur the line between flight sim and art. We are obviously all in for an amazing treat.

Hellshade

Great stuff, Devs.

OFF2 fair set to be...well,

mind-blowing.

Terrains look superb. Much

more "integrated" than P3.

Looking forward to the new FMs.

What a sim it will be :good:

Somewhere Widow is dreaming of flying that Snipe - zzzzzzzzzzz.

Well, maybe not that Snipe.:grin:

Dear Lads,

I'm so glad you picked the Dr.I to show case your talents. Perhaps a moment has been spared to tweak the flight characterists of such a fine craft?

Most excellent.

Ta.

Britisheh

For some reason - in my post exam haze - I thought those posts were recent. Then I checked the year... 2012.

*sigh* and another year goes by...

Fingers crossed boys - I think the community has reached a point where it needs WOFF to release soon. Been far too quiet around here!

Yep, I just "walked into the same trap" - damn, yeah, another year gone by.

What an effective trap! :biggrin:

I really, really hope we'll get WOFF this year. OFF P3 with mods is still fun to play, but I agree with CaptSopwith - the community needs WOFF to release soon.

I must imagine that the Devs need WOFF to release "soon" even more than the community does. After working hard on their day jobs all day, they must then labor all evening on WOFF.

I am sure they know the forums are much quieter than they were in years past. Part of that is due to the forums having been split in two awhile back due to an unfortunate forum crash. But also they must know that while they work feverishly to give WOFF every new feature, every historically rich detail, OFF itself has remained - apart from the excellent mods the community has developed - much the same as it was when the last large patch was released some years ago. Yet other sims have added new features and community mods that are closing some of the gaps that once set OFF far above all the competition. I am sure the Devs know this and I am sure that they are frustrated that they want to put all of the new features of WOFF into the hands of the community, but they cannot because their vision isn't ready yet. Their perfectionism is a double edged sword for while on the one hand it means that when WOFF is finally released it will be a Masterpiece of immersion and sweeping scope, yet on the other hand it means that they will not release it until it truly is that and so we must wait far longer than the development time one might expect of a sequel.

Yes, I don't doubt the frustration of the Devs wishing to release WOFF soon indeed. But I also think they know that to release WOFF as anything less than the best it can possibly be made would be a let down to the very same community that begs for it's release. Another year come and gone indeed. For myself, I have decided that rather than be impatient for the sim I would desperately love to fly but is not yet released, I shall be grateful that they have not lost their passion and abandoned the project because the scope of it was just too much. How many great games have died in production because the passion of the Devs or the money to see it through ran out before the project could be completed? We are very fortunate indeed that Pol, Winder and the rest still burn with a desire to make WOFF everything it can be, despite the fact that WWI flight sims are very much a niche market that likely will not financially reward them anywhere near what their time was worth.

Thank you OBD. I offer a toast to your pain and your passion. :drinks:

Hellshade

Pain? You guess they feel pain? Couldn't it be that they spend pleasureful evenings flying the Beta-WOFF???

:flyer: :flyer: :flyer: :flyer: :flyer:

Pain? You guess they feel pain? Couldn't it be that they spend pleasureful evenings flying the Beta-WOFF???

:flyer: :flyer: :flyer: :flyer: :flyer:

They of course can answer for themselves but if I had to guess, I'd imagine it's more like the pain of 4 years of continuous childbirth. They know it'll be wonderful when it's over, but getting it out is a non-stop effort of giving it everything they have. :imo:

Thanks guys for the patience, and for the kind words Hellshade which are pretty much how we are feeling. Yes we are head down working hard at the moment, nearing our goal but it's like an extended birth that's rather overdue (or rather what I imaging that is like(!) or maybe like that whilst also having your teeth pulled!). It's looking good but still needs a few things finishing as things come together it all looks better and better so all for the good!

OK, Hellshade - you won! :grin:

Keep going, boys, and keep up the new strategy not to make our mouths eyes water again and again.

The time of the long wait will be forgotten once the completed WOFF is released.

Good luck with it!

Thanks Olham we want to release more than anyone -it must be as good as we want it to be though. At least as time goes on we add more as we go so ultimately you guys should benefit.

That's what I knew and tried to explain to the impatient pushing ones around here and the other place many times.

I am full of trust, that you will come up with the ultimate tactical WW1 aviation experience.

The good things need more time than the average.

I hope you reward yourself every now and then. like going to your best Indian restaurant and have some "Chicken Tikka Massala".

>>How many great games have died in production because the passion of the Devs or the money to see it through ran out before the project could be completed? <<

I don't know. If they were never completed I have no idea if they were great or not.

Regardless, I've stopped waiting for this to be released. Too much else to fly and do in life. If it's released, great! I'll buy it. If not, C'est la vie.

I cannot imagine the Dev's having spent this amount of time on it, would throw in the towel at this stage

I cannot imagine the Dev's having spent this amount of time on it, would throw in the towel at this stage

They haven't. In fact they have added so many new features to the sim that they have actually decided to skip the 2nd generation WOFF (Wings Over Flanders Fields) and go directly to publishing the 3rd generation of the sim WWOFF (Wings Way Over Flanders Fields). It's going to be an instant classic :)

• Like 1

Gentlemen!

Your desire to provide your loyal public with nothing short of the best final product possible is noted, understood, and deeply appreciated. However, to keep us waiting unil you feel that perfection is achieved is unrealistic because perfection is unachievable, if for no other reason than the fact that every new day presents a new possibility not considered earlier thus rendering whatever has been achieved, regardless how amazing, imperfect. I thiink we're all here mature enough to understand, and I think we've shown a willingness to accept, that "there's something even better being worked on". We've come to expect that you've always got something bigger and better on the drawing board. I would even go so far as to say that, with our acceptance of BHAH and HITR, we have no problem with a major upgrade being followed fairly closely by a significant update.

As one who, having had my wife pass away two years ago at age 50, every day sees things for which it's too late I say, "NEVER 'wait until the time is right', because the time is right right now".

Or, two sum it up in two words:

RELEASE, ALREADY!!

You can always release expansion packs to the base game, with new aircraft, squadrons and stuff. That's a standard business model these days. I'm sure people would be willing to support the development of WOFF like that, so in my opinion, there's no need to try to add everything at once to the release version of the sim.

I agree with Hasse Wind here. Of course you want to get the FM and tactical AI behaviour done right,

but for more additional aircraft, you could always add expansion packs.

I guess no one would resent that - I certainly not - and IMHO a sim like WOFF is anyway quite inexpensive

compared to the immense amount of work that has gone into it. So extra aircraft could be thought of and

be bought later.

Everyone here should know by now, that you are only few modellers, and that an aircraft model takes

a long time to build nicely. So why not think about it?

But when it is to make the combination of FMs work with a very smart tactical behaviour that has never

been seen before - then I understand why you want to carry on, until it's working as it should.

Von Baur, you MAY be feeling old, but in your mind you have preserved yourself a good bit of youthful

impatience, like we had as children before Xmas.

:baby:

(But believe me: I only TRY to appear calm; I only PRETEND to be patient - sometimes it's killing me...)

:blowup:

Edited by Olham