bdoubled

Windows 7 OFFMan fatal error

For some reason, OFF stopped running on my Win7 box. I uninstalled/reinstalled both CFS3 & OFF w/HiTR. CFS3 runs, but not OFF. Have legal copy of CFS3 and OFF. Get fatal error.

Edited by bdoubled

I run XP, dual core, and i also got a fatal error, same symptoms as you. check your antivirus. with mine i found that the time i tried to start up OFF was exactly the same as my antivirus saying it blocked a trojan. at the moment im still yacking with Bitdefender cause OFF was working great before one of their updates...... good luck.

You guys could always disconnect from the internet, and then switch off your Anti-Virus.

Or - if you know how to do that: you allow "OFF Manager", "OFF.dll" and "CFS3.exe" in your AV program.

Thanks for the help, Olham. Took me a while (and several installs) to figure it out, but I'm good now. It was my antivirus software causing difficulties. I recently switched to BitDefender and it thought OFFsplash.exe was a virus and deleted it. I added the OBDsoftware folder to its exclusion list.

Yeah, Anti-Virus programs are not as intelligent as one might desire...

If you have an version numbers or AV software that specifically stops OFF from launching let us know the details and we can add it to the FAQ.

We have had a couple of false detections over the years (not bad I guess) but helps others to see the program names and versions etc and the solution.

Cheers

If you have an version numbers or AV software that specifically stops OFF from launching let us know the details and we can add it to the FAQ.

We have had a couple of false detections over the years (not bad I guess) but helps others to see the program names and versions etc and the solution.

Cheers

This happened to me as well. Bitdefender treats the offsplash.exe as a trojan and auto deletes it. Without this file OFF will not start and you'll get a 'menu' error message telling you to re-install OFF. Not necessary. Switch off Bitdefender then add the exe to the exclusion list in Bitdefender. This stops the file from being scanned and deleted. Then re-enable Bitdefender.

I'll send information to Pol for adding to the FAQ page on the OFF web site.

Edited by sandbagger

Ok thanks Sandbagger yeah would be useful. Another false positive good to list.

Ok thanks Sandbagger yeah would be useful. Another false positive good to list.

I've contacted Bitdefender on this, asking them to investigate and fix in a future update. For the time being at least, this can be resolved without the need to re-install OFF, as the error message indicates.

First temporarily switch off Bitdefender.

Obtain a copy of the offsplash.exe and load it into the main OFF folder.

In Bitdefender, go to the SECURITY - CONFIGURE ANTIVIRUS - EXCLUSIONS. Click on the plus sign and navigate to the OFF main folder. Add the following EXE files as exclusions (all four - just in case):

offsplash.exe

cfs3config.exe

offmanager.exe

cfs3.exe

Re-enable Bitdefender

Or don't use Bitdefender?

Well, I guess some other AV might also make problems sometime ; so that's at least a helpful detailed advice of Sandbagger.

This year, KASPERSKI was reviewed very well and seems to be among the top AV programs; so I got it.

And I must say, I never had a problem with running OFF, although I never switch my AV off. Didn't even make any special rules

or allowances.

Use Eset NOD anti-virus myself and it's worked flawlessly for years. Hopefully Bifdefender will update the issue.

I have Windows Vista and am getting this debilitating "OFFMan: Fatal Error Loading Menu! OFF will now exit..."

as well, but I don't have the AV Bit Defender. I keep uninstalling and reinstalling and running CFS3.exe

and OFFManager.exe as administrator, but the error message keeps occuring.

post-1940-0-23061800-1340610128.jpg

Edited by Alexander48

Important! Follow the install guide in the OFF website neatly.

Older CFS3 versions need to be updated/patched to the right version.

OFF itself, or atl least "Hat in the Ring!" needed patches.

And all this must be done in the right order.

In modern Anti-Virus programs should be a mode called "Game Mode" or similar.

Activate that; it makes the AV behave different while gaming, without loosing your

safety interests.

That looks like another case of anti-virus problems. Quite a few such programs seem to be overly eager to mess around with files they think are suspicious. They usually name them as generic trojans or something like that and remove them from the correct folders. Reinstalls won't change anything, because the anti-virus program keeps finding the suspicious file(s) and removes it. You have to adjust the anti-virus settings so that the program ignores the OFF files.

Edited by Hasse Wind

Did you install all the patches for BH&H first ? Email support with the version of OFF you have, and if you have HITR etc.

You also need to set them to run in XP compatibility mode not just run as administrator, did you do that?

As a test you need to disable the Anti Virus programs to test. Avast has also has had problems in the past, and I have not heard of the other two so disable those (disconnect from Internet when testing of course).

I see you emailed support so will deal with it there.

Edited by Polovski

No luck. I tried deleting Avast, Super Anti Spyware, and Malware programs. I even found

other hidden keys in the registry and got rid of all those. After getting rid of all the

AV programs, I un-installed and re-installed OFF and followed the patching order to the

letter. Ran the OFFManager and CFS3 exes as Administator as well. It's got no affect on

this at all, as the OFFMan Fatal Menu Error keeps occuring.

I'm exchanging e-mails with a tech guy from ODB Support and the advice he's given me

so far hasn't worked.

I'm starting to wonder if my registry is somehow porked? Hell I may end up taking my

computer to the geek squad and have them format C drive and re-install Windows Vista!

I would do that myself, but the OS came pre-installed and I don't own a copy of Vista

Basic Home Edition.

Edited by Alexander48

Okay gloves are coming off. Going to get Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade tomorrow. That

should fix this damned problem! GOODBYE VISTA :)

Edited by Alexander48

Okay gloves are coming off. Going to get Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade tomorrow. That

Hasta la vista, Vista :grin:

Looking at the bright side, your sanity and your hardisk (Vista just loves to trash it) will surely appreciate it.

So far so good! Windows 7 installed and so is OFF plus all patches. Working

just like before and working well. The relief I'm feeling is so VAST.

So far so good! Windows 7 installed and so is OFF plus all patches. Working

just like before and working well. The relief I'm feeling is so VAST.

:good:

Yeah tis good Alex :) Windows 7 to the rescue.

I think I mentioned Vista isn't my favourite ahem and I bought it twice :(

Edited by Polovski