simmelman

OFF & Seven - thread separated

I just hope this version will work with windows 7. I hope the answer is not still "MAYBE" it will work with windows 7, as was stated by the game developers of the last version. I also hope we will not have to go through some complicated procedure to backdate our win7 computers to accept CFS3!.....

I just hope this version will work with windows 7. I hope the answer is not still "MAYBE" it will work with windows 7, as was stated by the game developers of the last version. I also hope we will not have to go through some complicated procedure to backdate our win7 computers to accept CFS3!.....

P4 is developed on Win7 and runs on win7, as does P3.

There is no backdating required - how do you backdate an OS?

At this moment in time we cannot comment about Win8 so we may have to say 'maybe' on that at release.

WM

OFF works fine with Windows 7 - we are the developers and most of the Dev team run Windows 7 64 bit too, as do most users. CFS3 itself is older but still works. There is no "maybe". Yes you have to change a couple of settings as you do with many programs but if you personally have an issue with it running check the FAQ carefully - it's not tricky. Contact support if you cannot.

Very odd first ever post in a forum, off topic completely too in a thread of new screenshots.

I run P3 fine on Windows 7 x64 as are a number of other people. No changes required at all for me to make it 'compatible'. Check your drivers and check your CFS3, OFF:BH&H & HitR installation procedures would be my recommendation. Sorry, but way too many users plus the Developers themselves run P3 on Windows 7 already and have been for a long time. It's not the sim sir.

Maybe you are thinking of a different WWI flight sim where if you don't use a very outdated version of Nvidia drivers that is recommended (in a highly militant fashion) by their Dev team you can get lots of graphic issues when using higher settings?

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Maybe you are thinking of a different WWI flight sim where if you don't use a very outdated version of Nvidia drivers that is recommended (in a highly militant fashion) by their Dev team you can get lots of graphic issues when using higher settings?

Hellshade

*lmao* Now that's gonna leave a mark...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

And a very heartfelt "incredible job" to the OBD team, once again.

Edited by Tamper

Just to throw another reply onto the heap, I installed OFF BH&H, then my HiTR download, patched'em up and flew off into the susnset without an ounce of trouble. I'm at 5 on all my sliders, too. W7 64 Bit pro, and just a general user, i.e not a developer, etc. I'm busting a gut waiting for P4; I'm actually thinking about getting my Force feedback joystick back from my son so I can feel the stalls, etc, better.

So welcome to OFF! It's so nice that you can "free flight" this one just for the "flight-seeing"!

Best,

Tom

Windows 7 32-bit and no troubles at all. I just upgraded from Vista a few months back and I had some issues there but they were Vista issues, not anything else. Using the latest ATI dirvers with no issues. Olham posted a fantastic graphics setup guide that walks you through the setup in 'workshops' (within the software) and you can be up and running in a matter of minutes.

If you approach things here in a positive manner the support you will receive will be tremendous. Good luck simmelman. :salute:

Edited by Shiloh

:salute: OFF 3 runs fine on my Win 7 and I am sure P-4 will too. The developers Know their stuff.

Thank You for the feedback. I did much research on this sim before I made my post. And have heard of others with win 7 problems and OOF along with CFS3. So I just wanted to make sure before I buy the product that I am not going to have a problem with it. I appreciate the promt reply of the devs on this issue.

I do not appreciate the 2 punks who made threats against me because I asked questions about this sim that I found on the net. Pardon me for upsetting your thin skinned kool-aid drinkers!

• Dislike 2

Hi simmelman, OK thanks for coming back. I had to approve your post as they are the first ones you made. It sounded like you were posting "a fact" rather than asking "does it work Ok with windows 7?"

A first post would usually be "hey I'm thinking of getting this, but I heared xyz is it so?

Don't forget we see what support emails we get and note what is happening and from the mails that come in, and the vast majority are not Windows 7 issues. Any we have had specifically with Windows 7 we have got running almost every one in the last few years. Mostly with what is written in the FAQ - which obviously has come from experience.

PC's have a billion available combinations of components, settings, drivers, software running, and users, let alone broken files, registry settings and errors, hard drive errors etc. Almost impossible to 100% guarantee a huge undertaking will work flawlessly for every one - but we try.

The large proportion of users running Windows 7 with OFF are running fine. Like any software ever made for PC, someone somewhere will have a problem.

Any issues we are aware of are in the FAQ. Also sometimes people forget to update the software to the latest verison etc.

Anyway OFF works with Windows 7 -it is a fact. The dev team develop with Windows 7.

BTW here is an example

http://combatace.com/topic/71993-windows-7-offman-fatal-error/ sounds like a Windows 7 OFF issue eh? Well it's not. Read and see. Unfortunately users of forums have the habit of firing the first thing that seems to fit the issue, the facts are often far from it.

Actually, I think OFF works BETTER with Win7 than with XP. Main reason - the hardware designed for 7 is several generations ahead of the equipment available when CFS3 first came out, so you should be able to just about max out the graphics. Installation is a breeze, as long as you RTFI (Read The Instructions). I.e., make sure that CFS3 is patched to 3.1 and you fly one mission with it before installing OFF. If you've ever played vanilla CFS3, you won't believe that this is using the same engine. Chill out, load up, and enjoy an experience like nothing you've seen before.

I do not appreciate the 2 punks who made threats against me because I asked questions about this sim that I found on the net. Pardon me for upsetting your thin skinned kool-aid drinkers!

For what it's worth, there's a history of first time posters dropping onto the forum now and then to post false information about the sim to make it look bad in the eyes of anyone just passing by and taking a quick glance. It gets a little old and after a couple of years it starts to wear thin. OFF:BH&H doesn't have a demo option so it's important to get the facts straight so people can make an informed decision about buying it or not. Usually it's the "kool aid drinkers" of one of the other WWI sims.

and which two "punks" threatened you? I didn't see anyone threaten you. Maybe the "kool-aid drinkers" here aren't the only ones with thin skins, sir. dntknw.gif

Welcome aboard if you decide to buy. You will find the level of expertise about WWI around here to be exceptional and everyone is happy to help those with a positive attitude. Olham will probably want your info for the world wide OFF pilot map. There's a whole sticky section on survival. Well worth the time spent reading.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I've run OFF BHaH/HitR on W7_64 without nary a problem and I'm proud to say that I'm a devout "kool-aid" drinker: I love Cherry/Pomegranate flavor.

plug_nickel

mmmmmm ... Kool Aid. Lemon-Lime is still my favorite. And they got me drinking it back in my formative years:

Now then, where's a dirty red commie we can target as the common enemy of all that is good and decent?

• Like 1

"Thank You for the feedback. I did much research on this sim before I made my post. And have heard of others with win 7 problems and OOF along with CFS3. So I just wanted to make sure before I buy the product that I am not going to have a problem with it. I appreciate the promt reply of the devs on this issue."

Understandable caution, but I do wonder where you were looking for the information that you turned up about Win7 and OFF being problematic? If you could let us know which sites have stated this as being a problem, then I'm sure that the devs (and posters here) would be happy to pop over and put the record straight.

Just to let you know - I was running OFF and HitR (you really must get that too!) on XP SP3 32 bit and it ran fine. I've recently bought an i3 based Win7 machine with a bit more RAM and it runs oodles better than on XP (and I rated XP highly, and Vista as a pile of s**t).

Go ahead and buy it. You genuinely won't regret it. Ask around here if you have any problems, and spend a bit of time configuring your CFS3 files. It's absolutely worth it, and a fine addition to your PC.

Cheers,

Si

mmmmmm ... Kool Aid. Lemon-Lime is still my favorite. And they got me drinking it back in my formative years:

Now then, where's a dirty red commie we can target as the common enemy of all that is good and decent?

RAF_Louvert;

Thanks for those comment! You made my day! There is never anything so serious that cannot benefit from a little light heartedness!!