Heres what I got so far... just going with it. Hopefully I can update the finished cockpit this coming weekend, just got to finish the stick support and panel off the front, install the switches and wire them up to a USB input, print off my CS5 template for the panel, install that and spray a rubber/plastic coating over it all, then Im going with a two-tone grey paint job, dark grey on top, light grey on bottom. Also needs a beer holder but that will be last for optimum placement. I think its pretty dope, figured I'd share, hope you like....

even the wifey likes it and wants to try it out... whewww.. I was waiting for one of these....

nono.gif

If you want to do something like this I can help with questions, it was much easier than I thought it was gonna be and total amount will be about $85... total build time so far has been about 9 hours total.

Cheers~

post-77081-0-85650200-1334550168.jpg

Boys with their toys!!!

this is awesome keep going

Thanks guys, hopefully I can get her done by this weekend, although I promised to install the swamp cooler this weekend too..... I better not push it. I'll see what I can get done and post some updates, fun project so far, can't wait to test it out!

Im thinking the finishing part might take a bit longer, I plan to fill in the little cracks and stuff with wood filler and then sand it, coat it with some smooth rubber like finish then paint... maybe a couple weeks.. unless I get lucky with some more Colorado April snows and cant work on "the list" outside. drinks.gif

Edited by Intruder7011

Hey Intruder7011

It looks like its all starting to come together, I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

One suggestion I might offer is that OSB is difficult product to do fine detailed work with, and you might want to use some G1S (good one side) plywood for the front panel, or maybe some 1/4" MDF.....either of those products will cut and drill much cleaner than OSB.

I am curious to hear a little bit about that shiney new HOTAS set-up....how does work, how does it feel, how is it to program, etc. etc.

Romflyer

Ill let you no romflyer, the controls feel really nice, good rubber like coating on the stick and throttle, it all seems well built. I'll let you know how it all works once everything is up and flying.

I was thinking about going with something other then the ply for the panel area, but had a piece that fit perfectly so I decided just to go with it... hopefully I won't run into any problems but we'll see. Thanks for the tip.. any ideas about keyboard placement? I wanted to put it in a cubby on the right side of the front panel, keeping the left side for the hot switches, but the keyboard is too damn big.

Right now Im mulling over some ideas about putting it on a hinged piece that I can move around.... maybe a cubby on the right side still, but have the board on a track that slides in at a 90 to the panel, then when you need it pull it out like a drawer and swing it so its parallel to the panel? Could work but I'd have to go back to the drawing board and start planning again... that and more money for a drawer slide..

Edited by Intruder7011

. Thanks for the tip.. any ideas about keyboard placement? I wanted to put it in a cubby on the right side of the front panel, keeping the left side for the hot switches, but the keyboard is too damn big.

Right now Im mulling over some ideas about putting it on a hinged piece that I can move around.... maybe a cubby on the right side still, but have the board on a track that slides in at a 90 to the panel, then when you need it pull it out like a drawer and swing it so its parallel to the panel? Could work but I'd have to go back to the drawing board and start planning again... that and more money for a drawer slide..

Before I can offer my 2 cents about keyboards and placement and so on.....I need to know a couple of things about your plan, what cockpit are you thinking about basing this on? What are your plans for switches? are you thinking something simple like my keyboard cheat, or are you planning to go a little more high tech like a "Leo Bodnar" board?......are you planning this out for more sims then just SF2?.....

If you plan it right there will be no reason to have a keyboard mounted at all.

Ill let you no romflyer, the controls feel really nice, good rubber like coating on the stick and throttle, it all seems well built. I'll let you know how it all works once everything is up and flying.

I would stongly suggest you log in some serious combat time with the stick and the game before you go to far down the rabbit hole with your cockpit design.......once you have spent some time with everything you will probably discover that everything you thought would be the case is completely different than what you thought.......and also try to keep a perspective on being able to use your simpit with other titles.

The design I am using is my second set-up.....and even at that my MFD layout has been moved around about.......eight times, until I settled on a layout that worked the best for me......and that is workable with my other sims as well

Before I can offer my 2 cents about keyboards and placement and so on.....I need to know a couple of things about your plan, what cockpit are you thinking about basing this on? What are your plans for switches? are you thinking something simple like my keyboard cheat, or are you planning to go a little more high tech like a "Leo Bodnar" board?......are you planning this out for more sims then just SF2?.....

If you plan it right there will be no reason to have a keyboard mounted at all.

I would stongly suggest you log in some serious combat time with the stick and the game before you go to far down the rabbit hole with your cockpit design.......once you have spent some time with everything you will probably discover that everything you thought would be the case is completely different than what you thought.......and also try to keep a perspective on being able to use your simpit with other titles.

The design I am using is my second set-up.....and even at that my MFD layout has been moved around about.......eight times, until I settled on a layout that worked the best for me......and that is workable with my other sims as well

I am going for more of the general controls to put into the panel, so it would go well with other sims, gear, hook, flaps, things like that. I dont want to get too detailed, just the switches you would find on anything from an F-16 to a Cessna. As far as modeling it, I dont really have anything in mind, I just kinda went with how things were going, so I didnt start out wanting an F-16 cockpit or anything like that.

This my sound silly but how bout an overhead keyboard mount that way you don't have to take your eyes from the screen of course it will have to fold able out of the way when not in use

This my sound silly but how bout an overhead keyboard mount that way you don't have to take your eyes from the screen of course it will have to fold able out of the way when not in use

That could work later on, as of right now I will just be rolling it up to my 47inch LED TV. Later down the road I want to do a three monitor system, but since I will be using my TV right now, Im leaving it all open.

What I am thinking now is to utilize the entire front panel for workable switches, and then putting an L bracket on the end of the front panel (once I finish off the nose so it wont just slide off) and just letting the keyboard sit up there, out of the way, then if I need it I can just grab it and put it on my lap.... The only thing I see with that is needing the keyboard during flight for view changes or commands that I wouldnt have access to .... argh! The G940 does have three modes but dont really like the idea of having to switch modes if I need to do a quick view change or something.

I liked my original idea of having the panel be switches on the left, then a cutout with an angled frame to hold the keyboard on the right side so I can use it in flight. All the keyboards are just to big. Im out of ideas for now. Maybe I'll regroup tomorrow

Think I have came up with something, nothing like a couple beers to refresh the mind.

Full working panel, keyboard can go right below the panel. Starting after the left side angles up to the lower horizontal part of the front panel, If I put a one way hinge there, then one at the next angle where the panel starts to angle back down, then one on the end, of the panel, all level with eachother, I could put the keyboard there and it would be accessible during flight, dont even have to lean forward!

Then after I am done, remove the keyboard, push the hinges up so they are out of the way to clear out of the cockpit. Should work... I think. The only part of the panel I would lose would be the bottom right, and the one way hinge would stop it at a 90 degree angle to the panel, so it would be easy to type anything on

Heres a crude CS5 of what I just horribly explained. The black would be the hinges, the red where the keyboard would go. What do you all think? Any other ideas? I like the idea of having a fully functioning panel as well as access to the keyboard.

Edited by Intruder7011

Ready for sanding and paint. The middle panel is on hinges for now so I have access to wire up the panel. Id attach a couple pictures but Im not cool enough to do that anymore apparently. I guess I reached some limit since Im still too new to the community.. unknw.gif

there's a max limit on attached pic. YOu can just to to your Profile, Manage Attachements, and delete the older/oldest ones.

another way would be to upload to the CA Gallery, and then just link to them. Don't think there's a limit on that

there's a max limit on attached pic. YOu can just to to your Profile, Manage Attachements, and delete the older/oldest ones.

another way would be to upload to the CA Gallery, and then just link to them. Don't think there's a limit on that

Thanks Wrench!

Do you have stairs in your house?........... be sure to check your door sizes......... you might have to move the couch, the TV.....and maybe even the wife :yikes: out into the garage in order to get that thing in front of your 47 inch LED :grin:

Hey Intruder7011

Check out this guys site for some futher ideas http://www.rogerdodg...tsims/pacs.html they have a whole selection of keyboard layouts and mounting ideas.

Awesome! Thanks romflyer, ha yup. A project is never 100% smooth, and the snag I hit was the size issue... thats what she said... anyways it is 8 inches to wide to fit down the stairs into the basement.. but at least its an easy fix, I can just un screw the right arm rest/mouse panel and it should slide down perfect, I also put it on rolling casters so its easy to move to the TV and away. If I can finally start making more money I want to mount a three monitor system to it and then it could be stationary, but no plans for that for a while and I think I should put any extra cash I got into the garden and patio to keep someone happy rolleyes.gif ... she didnt even frown once or ask questions! Although I was laughed at several times for my excitement level but I'll take that.

Thats a cool link, interesting stuff. Not to expensive either, although I enjoyed this project very much and theres nothing quiet like sitting back, cracking a beer and admiring your custom creation, from a thought to a working machine is pretty cool.

Edited by Intruder7011

I don't know how functional you are going, but if you are looking for some detail parts to add, I've got these available:

IMG_6787.JPG

They are the sim panels from a F-16 egress trainer. I bought them back when I was going to rebuild my own pit. Never got around to it and they are just sitting on the shelf.

2 MFDs, 1 Up Front Unit, 1 CMDS panel, 2 artificial horizons, 1 engine nozzle posit gauge and 1 fuel gauge.

PM if interested.

-Jeff

I don't know how functional you are going, but if you are looking for some detail parts to add, I've got these available:

post-204-0-81576100-1334890155.jpg

They are the sim panels from a F-16 egress trainer. I bought them back when I was going to rebuild my own pit. Never got around to it and they are just sitting on the shelf.

2 MFDs, 1 Up Front Unit, 1 CMDS panel, 2 artificial horizons, 1 engine nozzle posit gauge and 1 fuel gauge.

PM if interested.

-Jeff

Thanks Storm! I will get back with you in a bit... I cant PM anymore until I reach 50 posts or something like that.

Here is a few more shots of her, just need to finish the panel and install the G940, and it will be up and running!

I'd suggest sorting out your seat padding before bolting down your controllers. A couple of inches behind and under you can make quite a difference to where your feet and knees end up. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

Cheers

Edited by Alphadelta

I'd suggest sorting out your seat padding before bolting down your controllers. A couple of inches behind and under you can make quite a difference to where your feet and knees end up. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

Cheers

For sure Alphadelta, I am going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to get some padding, Ill cut it to shape and the ol wife said she would upholster it.. how nice. I took that additional few inches when placing the stick and the angles of the arm rests, so it should be close but I'll be making those minor adjustments before bolting her down... I also need to find the ideal location to store my open containers as well.... hmmmmmm

I really need to get going on what I want on the panel... im still trying to figure out good, general things to put so I can utilize them all in other sims. All I have done is fabricate the ejection handle... pretty simple but should work with a momentary switch.

Quick update... three shots. All wired up, installing the foam inserts and will cover them with a black denim like material tonight. All that will be left will be to install the switches, and I think I will slowly do that over the next few weeks, see what I really would want on the switch.

The keyboard placement worked perfect, I just go two adjustable braces (like the ones to hold up lids on boxes), and that holds it firm and can bend up and out of the way when you are getting in and out as you can see!