Sign in to follow this  
whiteknight06604

Stephen1918 any interest....and time?

I noticed that you have been doing a few variations of the Dh-4. I wondered if you had any interest in revisiting your Aviatik D.I. there were later versions with different engine and cowel.No pressure obviously justy floating this out there.If time and interest permits I'll be happy to gather up drawings and info for you.

post-5105-0-99367200-1334623907.jpg

I've made my own version w the two guns in the engine cowl sides. Painted on ofcourse. I also moved the gun flash to the new gun barrel location. But the original guns still show in the cockpit. Maybe if Stephen1918 could at least add a little bit more top fuselage to the forward cockpit or something. I've removed the guns via the "hide mesh trick" but it just doesnt look right with a big hole there. Anyway the guns show up in the cockpit view from the cockpit .LOD. So he would have to change that too. Sorry Stephen1918 :grin:

post-33545-0-07388000-1334632802.jpg

Poor Stephen1918! So many planes for a modder only! Where are all the other people that used to build planes for this game?

Saddly none of them have any interest in WWI. Flying around at 70mph just isnt exciting for most people I guess :dntknw: . Even for terrain building. I do feel bad asking Stephen for stuff. His plate is probably full right now. He puts them out so fast he almost makes it look easy. Lol, I'm writing like he's not reading this! I should say "Stephen, sorry for all the requests. Your plate is probably full right now.:grin: But you are the only one that can help us these days buddy. And you have, big time!:drinks:

No need to feel bad, I see it as a form of encouragement, and I've gotten some good ideas from this group. But if any other modelers want to join in, I'll be happy to share.

I have thought about revisiting some of my early planes, I've learned a lot in the past year and I know I could a better job now, especially on the rigging and on the skinning templates. But it comes down to choice between a new plane or another version of one we already have. So as my mom used to say, "We'll see." (Which is somewhere between "Yes" and "No".)

This is a busy time for me at work, so I won't be doing much for the next few weeks. I have been working up to an Eastern Front campaign and my next few planes will be made with that in mind (some early German 2 seaters and another Russian plane or two.) I will also make some more ground objects (AAA guns, maybe a truck) then I'll start on the campaign. The Aviatik may find it's way into that, if not I'll get to it after the campaign is done.

Thanks for the encouragement :grin:

I just wish I could help more than with reference material and the occasional skin.I don't know how you work Stephen but I scratchbuild and convert wargame models as a hobby so in order to fight off boredom I usualy jump between projects. it makes for less boredom but can slow things down sometimes.If there is someway I can be of help let me know and with all the great stuff you have been putting out I don't think there will be a lack of encouragement from us anytime soon.All you had to do was mention Early war aircraft or 2 seaters and I'm excited.

What about Bleriots ?.......sorry....dont beat me to death with the nearest blunt object....just throwing my spoon into the soup bow so to speak........( Buggers off very quickly and hides ) :heat:

I just wish I could help more than with reference material and the occasional skin...

Here's something, if you're interested. As an experiment, I tried writing a decal.ini for Laton's MSTypeL and it worked in FE1. There was a little stretching, and some weirdness at the wing tip, but overall I was satisfied with the result. I'm curious to see if it also works in FE2.

I mostly play in Medium graphics mode. Many of the add-on planes have the insignia painted right on the skin, and it looks pretty blurry when I play. So I tried making a Russian Morane Saulnier using decals, and it looked much better. For the Eastern Front I'm going to need some MS, Fokkers, Pfalzes and Nieuports with Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Bulgarian, and Romanian markings... if you're interested.

Edited by Stephen1918

I'm actualy almost done with a Russian Nieuport 11 skin.I'll see if I can whip some others up but Quack and Sinbad and a few others are the true masters.

working on a russian Nieuport 10 single seater.Once I get a little more done I'll post a WIP pic. I'll try to make a few different Russian roundels too as it looks like there were a few variations.

I've started working on an early version of the Aviatik, with the machine guns lower in the fuselage. But I want to avoid making quack74 modify all his skins, so I added a new part to cover the place where the guns were. There's no way I can match the hex pattern, so I'm using a part of the engine cowling to skin the new part. The guns happen to line up exactly with the ones painted on the fuselage and pick up all the detail quack put into them, they look pretty good. I haven't started the new cockpit yet.  

post-67404-0-98750300-1336420221.jpg

Edited by Stephen1918

ARGH!! Just when I finish with the skins! Just kidding :grin: . I could do something to continue with the hex pattern I'm sure. The painted on guns probably give the new guns a shadow effect. Even deleting the painted guns is no problem. Time consuming but not a problem. I love the AvaitikD1 so I would gladly do it.

Now if we only had some variants of the OEF Albatros D.III :rolleyes: like Jan Tuma wasnt allowed to post. Shame too, his modified stock D.III's were right on. He put so much work into those too.

Edited by quack74