Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

A/S missions .. no primary target?

is this something newly broken???

testing the shipping routes on the PG map, and the ships show up where they're supposed to, but no "PRIMARY TARGET" tag on the E key display.

or is this just something to do with the add on ships? In this case, it's the container ship (carguero?). They get hit and explode nicely, but 'mission fail'.

or do we now have to only use the 2 stock boats????? I'm not understanding this at all....

I noticed this too! Ships will show up at the designated area, but none are marked as Primary Target and the mission won't be completed even if they're sunk.

On my end, it seems like if I start a mission on the ground or carrier, the ships won't be marked as Primary Target. But, if I start in the air (near target), they will be, and I can finish the mission. It doesn't seem to be related to 3rd party ships, in any case. The stock cargo ships. tankers, fleet oilers, AK class, trawlers, and the like all share this issue.

so, as suspected, it's a "core files" issue? of course....

ok ... we can also expand this for any vehicle that's an add-on, too. For CAS and ARMED_RECON, none of the 3rdParty one's are tagged "Primary Target"

Only, the Zil truck, Zil Fuel truck and stock tanks show tagged properly

if this issue about NA then i have no problem with it even with sf all titles ( all patches installed and heavy moded )

Interesting, I just tried a few anti-ships in Desert and Anatolia, I do get ships as primary targets. (though my target is always the MV Nordic Ferry, without any special SF2NA edits to it)

no, this is not NA specifcally -- but a full-5 merged SF2 install, on the almost finished Persian Gulf terrain, flying in the late 1990s thru modern (2012) times

these show up, can be targeted, but do NOT give the 'primary target' tagline

container ship (carguero?)

smallcargoship

petrolero

Oiler

the MVs from the falklands mod

also

GAZ trucks (all of them!)

don't forget too, the Zil trucks end in 1982 -- so if you want them working (or showing up!), you have to extract the data ini and change the endserviceyear to 2050 -even if it's wrong.

honestly, I think it's something in the NOT SF2:NA exes/coding that is keeping things from working the way they should.

Asked at 3w, and got in interesting non-answer, when the questiong was stated quite accurately.

honest to gods, I'm ready to just give up. what's the point of building nearly perfect real-world accurate terrains, when nothing works as it supposed to???

Or, are we supposed ot ONLY use NA as our base install??? None of this makes any sense anymore.

honest to gods, I'm ready to just give up. what's the point of building nearly perfect real-world accurate terrains, when nothing works as it supposed to???

Or, are we supposed ot ONLY use NA as our base install??? None of this makes any sense anymore.

Agree 100% mate, I'm going back to Nov11 on all my installs, I was happy there, I really cant be arsed with all the "new" [?????] crap that the April patch both with and without NA is causing me, yes, I finally brought it, tried it & I must admit it has absolutely bugger all to intrest me.

there's some screenies in The Gallery, illustrating the points.

http://combatace.com/gallery/album/763-wrenchs-stuff/

you can see the targets are marked, just not tagged PRIMARY TARGET (to say nothing of having modern AFVs NOT showing all of a sudden...WTH is actually going on here???)

agreed with ya

this NA going down...

Wrench, I've tried anti-shipping (traditional type against cargo ships) on a modified desert map (sf2/sf2e/sf2na merged install with mods).

Flying from land (red or blue), I could achieve a successful mission against both stock/non-stock vessels. However flying from a "blue" carrier (usn or rn) gave the problem you have noted and it doesn't seem to matter whether you sink the ships yourself or let your wingies do the job.. haven't got a red carrier to try.

Perhaps there is a scripting error if flying traditional anti-ship from a carrier...this wouldn't show up on stock Iceland cos TK disabled the mission type on that map...

also had a go at cas from usn/rn carriers with mixed results, could achieve success as long as I finished before Red crown/Hawkeye gave a mission failed/success message. Destroying everything after this (which previously often got you a partial success debrief) still resulted in mission failure.

All testing during 1957-1970 from stock usn carriers and ac, rn testing using ark royal with mirage factory F-4K (ported from sf1),buccaneer and DAT scimitar (again ported from SF1)

Alan

CORRECTION to previous post:

cas will work if land based, carrier based cas results in same problem as noted by Wrench- target will show up but not be id'd as primary target, even if all then destroyed mission failure still results.

Selecting carrier based armed recon gave a recon mission with null waypoints.

Alan

as ebruger noted over at 3W forum (and I'm exceptionally happy he did!! -- MANY MANY thanks Eric!!!), it seems to be related to any/all terrains which have had the NavalMap=TRUE statement set. It also seem to put waypoints (at least in my testing yesturday on the PG terrain), wwwwaaaaaaaaaaayyy off sometimes for CAS

which is why on stock and/or unmodded terrains the Primary Target tag shows.

Which reinforces my initial premise of something hard coded is "just ain't right". With us doing the diagnostic, perhaps we can help TK narrow it down, and not let the last 6 years of my life's work go down the s**tter. To say nothing of the 3-5 terrains/terrain mods still in the works (I'm sure we could get away with it in Panama, not having carrier stations...)