I finally bought SF-2I and SF-2E with the two expansion packs so now I need some more post war prop planes to mix it up with the TW Mustang and Spitfire. Attached is a LA-9 FM beta that I have cobbled together. At this point it is basically a TW Mustang FM plugged into Pasko's [i think] LA-9 model. Both aircraft had a laminar flow airfoil so it seemed like a good place to start. Lot's of detail work still to do but that will take time so here is a beta tester for now. :drinks:

Edited by baffmeister

excellent!!! thanks, I'll give this a test ride!

Hello, :drinks:

I would like to test your stuff but where is the Pasko's La-9?

I've found a La-7...

Coupi. :bye:

Edited by Coupi

it's not paskos, but wepnsqt's. His site seems to have disapated....

I'll upload mine; HOWEVER .. it's not fully sf2ed (and I didn't ahve a change to add Baff's FM)

edit: OPPPS!!! was thinking of his La-11!!

Edited by Wrench

@ Wrench, :salute:

In my old SFP1 Back up CDs I've found a "La-11_SU" aircraft! I've also a "La-11_NK"... is it this mod?

Best regards,

Coupi.

Edited by Coupi

The one I have been using is called an La-9_C. It has a basic grey skin with blue and white stripes on the rudder. The "C" probably stands for China, the country used in the data ini. I have no idea where it came from! I still have the original Zip file and it has no readme. I will upload a stripped down test package here after doing a few ini changes. The plane is too fast at altitude at present but the TW Mustang FM is working very well and seems to be generating the desired sustained turn rate.

I think I confused everyone, and myself, by thinking bunyap's La-11 was a 9. I think we actually don't have a 9, unless it's by the DAT.

I have an SF2 La-11 package almost ready to go. It has an slightly modded 08 FM, but need further tweeking.

That looks very similar to the model I have although mine doesn't have a mirror on the canopy. From my light internet research the La-9 and La-11 were very similar. The La-11 had more fuel and additional navigational equipment but only 3 cannon compared to 4 for the La-9. I think the airframes were pretty much the same so the model you show should be good for both versions. I wasn't planning on uploading a package for these planes but will post FM's for the 2 types here as they get further developed. Cheers.

Hello baffmeister,

Your stuff is interesting! :good:

I've tested your La-9 FM in the La-11 mod, the La-11 flies very well... :good:

Best regards,

Coupi. :bye:

Very Interesting! I downloaded Wrench's La-11 pack and was expecting to see the same 4 cannon lod I have but nope, 3 cannons just as it should have. So we seem to have dedicated La-9 and La-11 lods. I will just work on the La-9 FM for now but will include a beta test pack with La-9 lod for the next update. If things work out OK I can make an La-11 FM that can be dropped into Wrench's La-11 package. Cheers. PS: Thanks for the input Coupi & Cocas :salute:

Edited by baffmeister

No, thank YOU for the FM work!!! That's something I've never been able to wrap my head around (now, terrains/targets...that's easy!)

so...where does one find the La-9???

Edited by Wrench

I must have got the La-9 from Bunyaps site at some point. I will post it here soon. Doing FM's and working with the terrain editor have some similarities. :crazy: At least with FM's I learn a bit each time. When working on my one and only terrain I forget how the TE works between sessions. [because I hate the TE soooooo much! :censored: ]

La-9 stripped down beta test package attached. It includes Bunyaps 4 cannon La-9 lod and one grey skin. The package I had originally included 2 grey skins, one for China and one for the Soviet Union but they looked identical to me. The cockpit is the Yak-3 but it has had a few edits. I'm using the position data and some other stuff from Wrench's La-11 upload. Some of the instruments have been fixed/changed but are a blend of english and metric units. The ASI has been adjusted and reads in KMH. The VSI that was in the upper R/H corner and read in meters/sec is now a G-meter, the other VSI reads in feet/min. Below the new G-meter is a fuel gauge that reads in kilograms and should be reasonably accurate below about 275. I think I left the altimeter alone. It reads in meters. Only minor changes to the FM. La-9package0.91.rar

• Like 1

coolio!!! thanks!

Question Time: I noticed Wrench's La-11 had some armor around the fuel tanks so have tried the same thing on the La-9. The results are quite interesting. It makes the plane much harder to bring down in a dog fight although I think the armor could be reduced somewhat. Instead of "steel" as the armor could I just use "aluminum" to simulate some structure around the tanks? Here is an example of the La-9/11 fuel tank entries:

[FuselageFuelCell1]

SystemType=FUEL_TANK

FuelTankID=1

MaxFuelAmount=400.0//557.928

SelfHealing=TRUE

FireSuppression=TRUE

MinExtentPosition=-0.5,1.0,-0.5

MaxExtentPosition=0.5,3.0,0.5

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=STEEL

Armor[FRONT].Thickness=2

Armor

.Thickness=2

Armor

.Thickness=2

Armor[REAR].Thickness-2

Armor[TOP].Thickness=2

Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=2

The TW Spitfires and Mustang have no armor nor self sealing tanks, which seems kind of strange. The Mustang does get some FireSuppression.Examples:

TW Spitfire

[FuelCells]

SystemType=FUEL_TANK

FuelTankID=1

MaxFuelAmount=296.88

SelfHealing=FALSE.........................Not a self sealing tank!

FireSuppression=FALSE

MinExtentPosition=-0.33,-0.39,-0.77

MaxExtentPosition= 0.33, 0.22, 0.30

TW Mustang

[LeftWingFuelCell]mustang

SystemType=FUEL_TANK

FuelTankID=1

MaxFuelAmount=283.77

SelfHealing=FALSE..........................Also, not self sealing.

FireSuppression=TRUE

MinExtentPosition=-0.70,-1.03,-0.68

MaxExtentPosition=-1.95,-0.20,-0.40

With the intent of keeping things fair, should I just do the La-9/11 tanks the same way as the Mustang/Spitfire or should I add some protection and leave it to the "PropHeads" to adjust their TW Mustang and Spitfires in a similar fashion? At present, the Spitfire in particular is a bit of a "One Flick Lighter".

i've added some armor -even if as above, to only represent the wing skin and fuel tank itself , and self-sealing to all of them ... i know for a fact that NONE of the western powers (US,UK) DIDN'T use some kind of protection and/or selfsealing on any aircraft manufacutred after 1941.

I would make the same assumption (Oh! that word!!!! :grin: ), that even the Soviets would use something similiar.

I read somewhere the La-9/11 used the filtered exhaust/inert gas injection into the fuel tanks to provide some fire suppression. Not sure about self sealing but I would also assume that would have become common by at most the mid war years. I will probably just do the tanks as they are on the La-11. The result seems quite realistic to me.

La-9 beta 0.99 FM attached. I don't plan any updates in the near future but please post any improvements or fixes on this thread so I can check them out. For newbs, when flying the prop planes you will probably want to activate the rudder trim work around. Just have a look in the control.ini and scroll down to this section:

[RangedControl002]

AxisControl=YAW_CONTROL

MaxValue=1000.000000

MinValue=-1000.000000

DeadZone=10.000000

Saturation=153.000000

ReverseJoystick=FALSE

MouseScale=1.000000

UseMouseRate=FALSE

ReverseMouse=FALSE

LimitValue=TRUE

SelfCenterRate=0.000000...............Do this and you can use the coma and period keys to trim the rudder.

KeyControlRate=1.000000

AllowKeyControl=TRUE

IncreaseControl=YAW_RIGHT

DecreaseControl=YAW_LEFT

CenterControl=

Alternatively, you could just scroll down to the engine section in the La-9 data.ini and disable the Moment of Inertia entry:

MomentOfInertia=//4.00..........do this

I noticed the TW Spitfires and Mustang have some armor around the cockpit so I added some to the La-9. I am also using Wrench's entries for fuel tank protection which seems to be a good generic approach for the later WW-2 aircraft. This FM also has a generic mach tuck effect that I've been playing around with. It's easy to recover from but is a reminder that the WW-2 prop planes would get into trouble at the higher subsonic mach numbers. I expect to have a drop in La-11 FM available in a few days for Wrench's recent upload. :drinks:

Edited by baffmeister

La-9 FM version 1.0 attached. It includes the improvements that were introduced on the La-11. No more updates planned for the medium term. La-9_DATA1.0.rar

thanks, Baff!!

:drinks: