Sign in to follow this  
garyscott

Aeronautical charts for Moving Map display.

Hi there, ive looked through the KB and done a search, and am sure that i havent missed anything.

My question is, i would like to substitute the in cockpit Moving Map (looks like the planning map in the terrain folder) for a more authentic copy of an aeronautical chart of the region(s).

Scaling etc the new map wont be a problem, but im confused as to where the callout is? Ive looked in aircraft cockpit ini's to no avail.

Where is the callout specified and what is it called?

Sorry for being a muppet if i have missed the obvious!

Gary

Edited by garyscott

The moving map in cockpits actually is the very planning map you saw in the terrain folder...

Every terrain has 3 planningmaps that show up in the Mission Design/Map menu in the game. They correspond to different zoom levels. They should be in Terrrain's folder, in a CAT file if stock terrain..

If I'm not mistaken all the in cockpit map shows is one of these bmp files.

Edited by PureBlue

Cool!

Didn't realize it was that simple!

Would it be worth uploading to the masses once ive got them accurate??

Would it be worth uploading to the masses once ive got them accurate??

Hell Yah! :good:

I don't know which PM level it uses (most likely planningmap1), but that's hell of an idea!! I've always wanted more accurate planningmaps, that look more like real nav charts!!! :good:

getting them to match what/how targets are set/placed in the _targets.ini; now THAT'S the question!!

plannimg maps are (if 3 are used),

1 = 512x512

2 = 1024x1024

3 = 2048x2048

they must be square!

Edited by Wrench

I experimented with this a while ago but it ruined the planning maps in mission briefing screen. When I tried to match the scale of the planning map it was low rez & not much improvement over what we already have.

None the less the few I tried out looked great in the pit even if they were of the wrong, scale & region.

Something like this looks more realistic or at least better than the stock/standard pit maps.

Navmap.jpg

I experimented with this a while ago but it ruined the planning maps in mission briefing screen. When I tried to match the scale of the planning map it was low rez & not much improvement over what we already have.

None the less the few I tried out looked great in the pit even if they were of the wrong, scale & region.

Something like this looks more realistic or at least better than the stock/standard pit maps.

Navmap.jpg

SteelFlanker, that's what i'm aiming for!

With regard to placement of targets etc (Wrench), then as long as the map is correctly proportioned i see no reason why it shouldn't work. I know absolutely dick about terrain creation, but it seems to me that there is a certain number of tiles that are of a generic type that are laid around the "coast" of a terrain to mimic as closely as possible the RL terrain, however, RL terrain cant (?) be recreated exactly as each tile that goes around the "coast" would be unique, and the resultant terrain folder would be of an impressive MB size! (Please tell me if i'm getting this wrong, as i really don't know!).

However, i could take an ONC chart or upper airways chart, and break it down into small sections to overlay onto a Planning map piece by piece, and "squish" or deform (slightly!) to approximate the terrain features and outline of the original Planning map, thereby ensuring as much as possible that what you see on the map MFD, is very close to what you see outside your 'pit. Pertinent features such as power stations etc will correlate to the in game locations.

Airbase symbols represented on ONC charts etc can just be moved a bit if, after laying the ONC onto the map, the symbols are off by any distance to the in game airbases.

What do you guys reckon?

Im going to do this anyway, success or not!

It just may take a little while as with our newborn son, my SF2 time is a little constrained! lol.gif

I plan to do all the terrains that i have on my install, and when it comes to upload, i will seek the approval of the respective authors to go ahead with the maps that relate to their terrains.

Hopefully i can do you guys proud.........

Salute.gif

Edited by garyscott

congrats on the addition!

as for permission from me, go ahead and make them!!

Any PM that will look great in the cockpit would be most welcome.

Looking forward to what you can come up with.:good:

planningmap 2 , 1024x1024 px are used for in-game moving maps

it was changed to that early last year or so, originally it was #1 map