Sign in to follow this  
WhiteBoySamurai

Kirov class battlecruiser (1988 and 1998)

Kirov class battlecruiser (1988 and 1998)

This package contains the third and fourth ships of the Kirov class battlecruisers: Admiral Nakhimov (ex-Kalinin) in commission since 1988, and Pyotr Velikiy (ex-Yury Andropov), in commission since 1998. The Kirov class are currently the world's only nuclear powered surface combatants and the most heavily armed warships in service today.

With layered air defense systems, four different SAM types, and six twin gatling CIWS, these vessels are fearsome opponents. Be warned that once installed, these vessels will begin appearing in Soviet battlegroups and significantly increase the challenge level. Note that the Shipwreck anti-ship missiles are not yet functional due to game engine limitations.

Each ship has two different hull numbers and decal sets representing their service before and after the fall of the Soviet Union, including authentic Russian language name stencils. As a bonus, additional materials are included to create a modern "friendly" Russian military if you have not done so already.

These ships are also equipped with a functional helicopter deck, but no fake arresting wires are included, so fly with care.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or constructive criticisms regarding this model, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you!

Thank you!

Your ships are drop dead gorgeous!

I'm hard to keep track.

It would be great to get a "WhiteBoySamurai Ship Pack" at some point, containing all your work.

Thanks, again.

The Soviet answer to the Ticonderoga class. Amazing ships. I am attached to the 2nd hull, Frunze, as it was the sole effective surface unit in the old board game, 2nd Fleet. "Effective" in this case meant able to go head to head with a US carrier group and survive. Its theoretical anti-aircraft capabilities are over-the-top. On paper, a VLS Aegis cruiser of the 80's and 90's cannot get any hits through those defenses and can be overwhelmed by its surface-to-surface missiles. In reality, the ability of US standoff ECM to suppress those defenses is unproven but possibly very effective, and the USSR had trouble getting the radar/fire-control systems to work correctly. Of course Aegis had its problems as well. I would be very interested in seeing how a late '80s Ticonderoga centered surface action group would have held up against a Kirov centered surface action group. I think the results would hinge upon three things: real-world weapon system reliability/functionality (versus sales brochures), ECM/ECCM effectiveness, and whether the Aegis system would be able to datalink and control its surrounding anti-air warfare assets in a wartime evironment (which really depends on the first two things, but if it works, the Aegis group becomes exponentially more effective and I don't believe the USSR had any equivalent).

Since the game allows systems to work ideally or even better, good luck on rolling back the SAMs of any group with a Kirov! It was difficult to impossible in the fairly accurate Harpoon miniatures game. Much easier and safer to attack with Mk 48 torpedoes from below :)

Very beautiful and powerful ship!!! :heat:

Very beautiful and powerful ship!!! :heat:

Yeah she almost makes you feel Un-Welcome....... :grin:

I don´t suppose you got plans for a downgraded version for how they appeared at their first tours in the mid 70s?

I don´t suppose you got plans for a downgraded version for how they appeared at their first tours in the mid 70s?

The Kirov and Frunze are coming, but they were launched in 1977 and 1981, respectively, and commissioned in 1980/1984. Whatever armament they had back then is what I'll give them. However, I'm thinking of making the Kirov/Ushakov a dedicated anti-surface unit, sacrificing SA-N-6 VLS for SS-N-19 Shipwreck and SS-N-14 Silex missiles. CIWS and Geckos should still work even in that case.

Not trying to be difficult, but can I say airwarfare Kirov?

If not, will it be possible to copy info from this version to make it so?

Cheers

Snapper 21

shoot...after reading how deadly they are, I'm afraid to download and instll it now!! :lol: I can see loosing the entire Air Wing in one mission!!

She is having problems with the harpoons, her CIWS aren't handling them. then again most times them type weapons make it through on most ships

Edited by colmack

She is having problems with the harpoons, her CIWS aren't handling them. then again most times them type weapons make it through on most ships

The GunMinAltitude of the Kashtan is 5.0. This could mean that the harpoons might be coming in under their engagement level? Try changing the "GunMinAltitude=5.0" of the Kashtan mounts to "GunMinAltitude=0.0". Such a change would match how TK set up all of his CIWS gunners in SF2:NA.

The GunMinAltitude of the Kashtan is 5.0. This could mean that the harpoons might be coming in under their engagement level? Try changing the "GunMinAltitude=5.0" of the Kashtan mounts to "GunMinAltitude=0.0". Such a change would match how TK set up all of his CIWS gunners in SF2:NA.

Thanks, I'll fix that in the next update. I think part of the issue is the Kashtans being set up as both guns and missile launchers like the real thing. The missiles will fly out and usually kill incoming ASMs, but the guns won't fire while the missile is tracking or reloading, leaving a few seconds of vulnerability for saturation attacks to get through. I'll tinker with the gunner settings more and see if I can get better performance. In hindsight, I probably should have done the Kirov and Frunze first since they have simpler weapons, but these two ships of the class happen to be my favorites.

I think for the Kirov herself, I'll just include two different data files for anti-air and anti-ship like I did with the Slava and Udaloy updates, and let the end user decide which to use. Sound good?

I think for the Kirov herself, I'll just include two different data files for anti-air and anti-ship like I did with the Slava and Udaloy updates, and let the end user decide which to use. Sound good?

That would be brilliant :good:

The Kirov and Frunze are coming, but they were launched in 1977 and 1981, respectively, and commissioned in 1980/1984. Whatever armament they had back then is what I'll give them. However, I'm thinking of making the Kirov/Ushakov a dedicated anti-surface unit, sacrificing SA-N-6 VLS for SS-N-19 Shipwreck and SS-N-14 Silex missiles. CIWS and Geckos should still work even in that case.

Minor point, but the SS-N-14 was/is an ASW weapon. There is one variant that has an additional shaped charge for secondary use as an ASCM, but principly it is an ASW weapon that drops a homing torpedo over the target sub.

Minor point, but the SS-N-14 was/is an ASW weapon. There is one variant that has an additional shaped charge for secondary use as an ASCM, but principly it is an ASW weapon that drops a homing torpedo over the target sub.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but just musing over adding the weapon if/when we implement some submarines into the game. Regardless, though, in game it would probably end up being a gimmicky-but-conventional anti-ship missile.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but just musing over adding the weapon if/when we implement some submarines into the game. Regardless, though, in game it would probably end up being a gimmicky-but-conventional anti-ship missile.

That would be way cool. :good: