Hi Everyone,

I thought I would post some screenshots of my latest A-6 project. What I have done is taken the stock 3W A-6 models, skins, and decals and enhance them for more variety and hopefully some increased historical accuracy. I have also tweaked the avionics (in particular the RWR) for each variant to be more in line with the period flown. In doing so, I replaced the TEWS in the A-6E_79 with a 3 ring RWR, but added the A-6 SWIP variant (A-6E_90) that has the TEWS, as well as the ability to carry Maverick and SLAM.

The purpose of this pack is to be able to fly the default USN/USMC grey skins with the default squadrons, but have more variety in skins as well as an enhanced look across the board. To this end, I added aircraft BuNo decals to each tail (historically accurate pools for the A-6A, A-6B, and A-6E with the A-6E pool being shared by all E/TRAM/SWIP variants) and modexes to the top and bottom of the flaps. I have also modified the skins to a degree so that you can choose between radome/nose color, as well as low visibility patterns (including CAG birds). I also adjusted the size and placement of the dorsal slime lights (aka formation lights) on the TRAM/SWIP variants to be more accurate. I had to adjust the Navy/Marines text in order to make it work.

What this pack does not do is replicate historically accurate squadron markings for each era, nor does it attempt to capture the specific marking placement of each squadron. Since this is an enhancement of the generic skins and markings, I have left everything as is, though I have added low visibility squadron tail logos for each A-6 squadron. In other words, if you choose the A-6E SWIP with a low visibility pattern, the placement of markings will be fairly accurate across the board (organization-specific markings notwithstanding), but you will still have a low visibility variant of the circa-1970 tail logo.

I know that there are a lot of rivet counters on the board, and I would like your help. If you know the years specific patterns and logo placements were used (e.g. when the Navy went from low visibilty dark text to grey text), please post them so that I can make adjustments where necessary. Likewise, if you see anything out of place (e.g. the fuselage stars and bars are too far forward/aft or too small for the period), please let me know as well so that I can tweak it.

With no further ado, here are my screenshots of the project thus far:

Two A-6As. Note the circa-1976 VA-95 logo replacing the default logo. This was done because the stock logo was covered by the 2 digit modex on the tail. Also note the choice between white and black radomes.

img00083.jpg

A-6Es from VA-35 and VA-52. Decal placement and size is adjusted from the A-6A. Note the tan and white selectable radomes as well as the modex on the flap.

img00084.jpg

A-6E TRAM from VA-85 in a low visibility pattern with dark markings. Also note the black variant of the circa-1976 logo.

img00072.jpg

Here's a picture of a SWIP variant from VA-85 in the low visibility pattern with light grey markings. Because I completely re-did the VA-85 logos, I went ahead and made a separate light grey logo to be consistent with more recent VA-85 patterns.

img00070.jpg

Not leaving out the Marine Corps, here are two A-6Es from VMA(AW)-533. With the USMCGrey2 pattern (aka white radome), you also get white text for the tail number and BuNo.

img00074.jpg

Again, birds from VMA(AW)-533, but this time TRAM variants in the low visibility pattern with dark markings.

img00075.jpg

Here are two more TRAMs from VMA(AW)-533, with the classic scheme side by side with the low visibility pattern.

img00064.jpg

Finally, the CAG bird. Here is a SWIP from VA-34 in a low visibilty CAG pattern. The wingman is using the low visibility pattern with grey markings. Note that the CAG bird is carrying the AGM-65F Maverick and the AGM-84E SLAM.

img00087.jpg

Please post your comments, suggestions, and criticisms. I'm thick skinned; I just want to put out a good package!

• Like 1

using my E_79 templates I hope!! Put a lot of work in those (insert cross-eyed smilie >HERE<)

interestering idea, and I like it!

Looks awesome to me!

using my E_79 templates I hope!! Put a lot of work in those (insert cross-eyed smilie >HERE<)

interestering idea, and I like it!

But of course, Wrench! I've made some tweaks to them myself, as you can likely tell with the CAG bird. I also added some noise to the grey pattern, then some gaussian blur for the grey on the CAG birds (since the paint scheme tends to be a little nicer on them).

I also borrowed heavily from your avionics enhancements. Not to worry; credits are forthcoming! :salute:

Edited by HomeFries

:lol::grin:

"all improvements and enchancements are appriciated and ENCOURAGED!!!"

I'm no Sundowner ...

Edited by Wrench

WOW, can't wait to add the Razbaam pits to these!!!

That's actually what I use. I'll provide instructions on how to mod the Razbam cockpits to work with the stock models, as well as some RWR tweaks.

...dude, that is KILLER. :blink:

(seriously, i might kill for that :haha:)

SidDogg

Another update:

Last night I got the urge to do the grey/white split color radome, and after a bit of trial and error I got everything lined up. Here's a screenshot of yet another skin for the default intruders.

img00090.jpg

Finally, I realized that I was a bit underwhelmed with the default "NH" tail flash for the VA-75 Sunday Punchers, and such a storied squadron (not to mention the first squadron to get the A-6 and the squadron to eventually retire it) deserved the logo for which it is more commonly associated. I tweaked Wrench's VA-75 tail decal and made a dark version and a full color version of the logo, all of which you can see here:

img00091.jpg

img00093.jpg

Also, note the classic scheme on the wingman. I went ahead and enabled these for the SWIP birds, but defaulted them to the Fleet Replacement Squadrons (RAGs), as opposed to operational squadrons. This way, you can take the new birds with the classic paint out to the range!

Feature freeze is about here, and I just want to do some playing with Drdoyo's modexes, but this baby should be out shortly!

Keep up the good work man!!!!!

Thanks, Dave.

I realized after uploading the screenshots that I hosed up the Marine decals, and instead defaulted the Navy pattern when doing the new nose. If you look at the black-nosed A-6 from VMA-242, that is correct (the squadron is listed above MARINES and not behind the roundel). I guess I was really tired when I finished up last night. :closedeyes: Anyway, this has since been fixed (for you rivet-counters out there).

In my latest update, I discovered how much I can learn when I'm researching a completely different subject.

Long story short: our favorite all-weather attack aircraft can now see in the dark!

img00119.jpg

And for good measure, I added the belly anti-smash light. Note that it is slightly off center toward the starboard side of the aircraft. This will be placed center-aft (near the engine doors) for the TRAM/SWIP variants.

img00120.jpg

If anybody knows how to attach this to the nosegear, I'm all ears; right now it's abstractly placed in the right spot when the gear is retracted.

I've tried this:

[bottomFuselageLight]
SystemType=LIGHT
Position=0.125,2.165,-1.22
LightSrcOffset=0.00,0.0,0.20
Color=0.88,0.25,0.25
Brightness=0.07
LightSrcRange=0.3
CanFlash=TRUE
FlashTime=0.50
//Added by HF
MovingLight=TRUE
AttachedNodeName=NoseGear

and I added the components to the nose (as opposed to fuselage)

[Nose]
ParentComponentName=Fuselage
ModelNodeName=fuselage_front
ShowFromCockpit=FALSE
DamageRating=DESTROYED
MassFraction=0.240
HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE
MinExtentPosition=-1.18,-2.41,-1.26
MaxExtentPosition= 1.18, 4.15, 1.33
CollisionPoint[001]= 0.00, 7.29,-0.86
CollisionPoint[002]= 0.00, 8.08,-0.09
CollisionPoint[003]= 0.00, 5.23, 1.08
CollisionPoint[004]= 0.55, 3.17,-0.76
CollisionPoint[005]=-0.55, 3.17,-0.76
SystemName[001]=Pilot
SystemName[002]=CoPilot
SystemName[003]=NoseGear
//Added by HF
SystemName[004]=BottomFuselageLight
SystemName[005]=LandingLight

I would love to get the light attached properly to the nose gear. That said, not attaching it to the nosegear won't hold up its release; I'd just rather get it right the first time, if possible.

EDIT: Never mind. Figured out the landing gear issue. I should use AttachedNodeName=front_wheel_door.

Finally, can anybody answer my question I asked here regarding using DecalNumberStart/DecalNumberEnd and whether it affects the campaign RNG? Basically, I would like to know if using DecalNumberStart/DecalNumberEnd will be respected by the RNG, or whether I need to go the route of making extra numbers (which I have done, but I'd rather not use them if I don't have to). How I approach that issue is really the only thing holding up release at this point.

Edited by HomeFries

why would you need to attach it to the node? It's not exactly like the wing lights...

use this for the landing lights, example is from a Skyhawk...

[Landinglight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.88,0.88,0.88

Brightness=0.05

Position=1.44,1.20,-1.29

LightSrcOffset=2.6046,49.0560,3.50

LightSrcRange=150

LightRange=45.0

CanFlash=FALSE

LightNodeName=LandingLight

IsLandingLight=TRUE

it'll automaticlly turn off as the gear starts retraction

having done hundreds of lighting corrections.....

Edited by Wrench

Was actually doing the attachment for the belly anti-smash light, which on the pre-TRAM birds is attached starboard of the landing light on the nosegear panel . However, since I did it for that, I went ahead and did it for the landing light as well. I figure if the code is ever changed so that the landing lights are dynamic, I'll at least be ahead of the game.

Edited by HomeFries

Hi Everybody.

I've been working feverishly on the 1.1 update, which revamps all of the skins, tweaks the ventral anti-collision lights (and gets them right on the TRAM), adds some details for realism, and also gives you the following skin:

img00192.jpg

img00195.jpg

This was an experimental green skin used by VA-65 in 1966 in order to test the viability of camouflage over Southeast Asia. The results were inconclusive for the Navy (though the AF decided that the camo worked), so the Navy and Marine Corps went back to the default gull grey/white pattern they would use until they switched over to the tactical grey pattern we see today.

Additionally, I added two Marine Corps squadrons: the VMA-332 Moonlighters and the VMAT-202 Double Eagles (the USMC RAG for the A-6). Here's a screenshot of VMA-332 in the classic colors:

img00191.jpg

Finally, a look at the improved markings and TRAM anti-smash lights. Here's a shot of a SWIP bird in CAG colors:

img00186.jpg

This pack should be out shortly. I was hoping to have it out this weekend, but the green skin took longer than I anticipated. We're probably a few days to a week away from release.

looking good!!

have done hundreds of lilghting fixes, I can appriciate what it takes to do it!!

Thanks, Wrench.

I actually used one of your posts on lighting as the basis for my work, so your skillset with lighting fixes is well known and appreciated. That said, the TRAM was a particular challenge because if I used two decals and placed them at the same location as my light sources, only one decal would show. I had to create a single decal with both lights, center it, and properly scale it (both graphically and on the model). That was fun, though basic knowledge of fractions and counting pixels on screenshots helped remove a lot of the guesswork.

On a tangent, is it possible to create illuminated formation lights other than from within the LOD itself? I realize I can do steady amber lights, but is it possible to create said form lights that illuminate while the other lights are strangled? Also, is it possible to have a rotating beacon?

Another 1.1 update:

The nice thing about figuring out the two-tone skin (especially what components go where on the template) is that it made things much easier the second time around. I came across some USMC two-tone patterns in Gunship Grey, and decided that the collection wouldn't be complete without them. So I present a screenshot of two A-6s of VMA-533 and VMA-332 in the aforementioned paint scheme.

img00198.jpg

This is quickly becoming my favorite skin, and between what I learned after doing this skin and the USN experimental green, I intend to go back and make minor enhancements to the classic skins as well.

More to follow.

• Like 1

Everybody,

Version 1.1 is now out. I made a few more improvements to the skins across the board, including some of these details:

img00219.jpg

Note the cockpit detail, including the VDI along the BN's radar and TRAM display. The A-6A/B/E have another cockpit texture with a pilot-side radar and no TRAM display.

img00218.jpg

The new textures include detailed center panels and circuit breaker panels between the pilot and BN, as well as the cables and junction boxes behind the aircrew when the canopy is open..

Finally, a view from the new office:

img00223.jpg

Edited by HomeFries

that gunship gray looks SHARP!!

good catchs on the cockpit textures!!

Update on the next version:

malibu43 and I have collaborated to bring revised weapons loadouts for each variant, including weapons restrictions on the interior MER hardpoints. Likewise, malibu43 created a special MER that can carry 3 Mk83s in historical form

img00285.jpg

You can see from the screenshot above that the MER holds two Mk83s in the forward side stations, and a single Mk83 in the bottom rear station. Also note that the interior stations are restricted so as to prevent collision with the mainmounts. You may also notice that the ventral anti-smash lights are now 3D models. Thanks to russouk2004 for the object added via FakePilot! :drinks:

Another shot of the new anti-smash lights:

img00284.jpg

In collaboration with malibu43, the original SF2 campaigns have been completely revamped, navalized, and made compatible with the A-6.

In the skin department, we now have the modex and CVW tailcode displayed on the right wing of some of the skins.

img00304.jpg

Finally, we have custom decals for the dorsal fuselage and fuel tanks, as well as a few new tails. This is my latest project (VA-196):

img00312.jpg

Edited by HomeFries

All,

The release of the May patch creates some incompatibilities, and this has moved up my 1.2 release schedule to this weekend. I was hoping to add more tail art, but releasing a fix is the higher priority.

In the meantime, don't start any new campaigns (it looks like just about all of the campaign files were updated by the patch). Besides, you'll appreciate the improved original SF2 campaigns if you wait just another day.