Are different radar capabilities implemented in Thirdwire sims. For instance, I know that F-4 Phantom in SF2* cannot or has trouble locking air targets that are close to the ground (in ground clutter). On the other hand, does for instance F-15 has the look down-shoot down capability implemented? I've been doing some testing myself and I am not 100% sure in anything?

Edited by hrc

A very essential parameter is the radar selection in options menu.

Hard radar settings means that radar will work to a limited degree but in general a high search strength value in avionics.ini will improve radar's capability. A target flying at very low altitude would hardly be seen in the radar but below 50 feet even the F-14 radar can not detect it.

According to my experience F-15 radar has one of the greatest look down/shoot down performances. In many cases, F-15A/C had been firing sparrows when targets were flying at 60 - 80 feet!

In general I can see many differences among aircrafts radars but I think that the oldest the aircraft, the less the radar capability.

Edited by tiopilotos

Are different radar capabilities implemented in Thirdwire sims. For instance, I know that F-4 Phantom in SF2* cannot or has trouble locking air targets that are close to the ground (in ground clutter). On the other hand, does for instance F-15 has the look down-shoot down capability implemented?

Correct.

Here's an entry from F-4E's data.ini file:

[DetectSystem]

RadarType=AIR_INTERCEPT

RadarFamilyName=F-4

RangeUnit=NM

RadarAzimuthLimit=60

RadarElevationLimit=60

RadarSearchTime=1.0

RadarSearchRange=100

RadarSearchStrength=100

RadarTrackTime=5.0

RadarTrackRange=80

RadarTrackStrength=80

RadarSearchFreq=9.8

RadarTrackFreq=9.8

RadarMissileGuidanceFreq=6.0

RadarSearchCW=FALSE

RadarTrackCW=FALSE

RadarMissileGuidanceCW=TRUE

VisualBlindArc=5,6,7

VisualRestrictedArc=4L,8L

MaxVisibleDistance=10000.0

HasRWR=TRUE

RWRMinFreq=2.0

RWRMaxFreq=18.0

RWRCanDetectCW=TRUE

And here's one from F-15's:

[DetectSystem]

RadarType=AIR_INTERCEPT

RadarFamilyName=F-15

RangeUnit=NM

RadarAzimuthLimit=60

RadarElevationLimit=60

RadarSearchTime=1.0

RadarSearchRange=160

RadarSearchStrength=100

RadarTrackTime=2.0

RadarTrackRange=80

RadarTrackStrength=120

DopplerLookdown=TRUE <- -----------------------------------this entry is what makes the difference!

RadarSearchFreq=9.8

RadarTrackFreq=9.8

RadarMissileGuidanceFreq=6.0

RadarSearchCW=FALSE

RadarTrackCW=FALSE

RadarMissileGuidanceCW=TRUE

VisualBlindArc=5,6,7

VisualRestrictedArc=4L,8L

MaxVisibleDistance=11000.0

HasRWR=TRUE

RWRMinFreq=1.0

RWRMaxFreq=20.0

RWRCanDetectCW=TRUE

Good to know that it is implemented for sure. Thanks.

Keep in mind that look down radar capability depends on the doppler shift in the frequency of the radar return resulting from motion toward the aircraft conducting the radar search and/or tracking the target. So even the mighty F-15 radar goes blind against a low target that is flying perpendicular to its radar. The radar filters out all returns that match the frequency of ground returns. Aircraft flying parallel to the flight path of the searching aircraft generate a large frequency shift that greatly contrasts against ground returns while aircraft flying perpendicular to it have the same frequency.

When the effects of ground clutter and doppler shift were first added with the release of WoI, the AI would immediately put their beam to the F-15 and instantly break their lock, making AIM-7 kills almost impossible with a pulse doppler look-down radar. TK made some changes in the patches for WoI, so now the F-15 radar and its AIM-7s are effective again. But I am sure that a target can still use the "beam" maneuver to break radar locks/dodge missiles, as I have used such to defeat F-15s while flying MiG-23s.

With older radars, merely flying low blinds them completely. With newer ones, fly low and use your RWR to put your beam to the radar. If a target is aware of your radar and flys correctly, you will never maintain a lock long enough to guide an AIM-7. Of course, low altitude is very good for heat seeking missile, either. So, you are heading for a close-in, ground level gunfight unless the target pops up long enough to permit a quick missile shot. Fortunately, the AI generally stays away from the ground or collides with it. WoI was the first time I saw AI planes in the SF series use low level tactics to avoid detection and tracking, but they tended to hit the ground a lot. AI is no longer as effective at using low level and beam maneuvers, which provides a lot more missile shot opportunities.

• Like 1

Is there any manual that describes the usage of radar and appropriate tactics (like missile evading, engagement tactics and so on) for SF sims on a larger scale, not the custom SF manual that comes with the game itself? I've read a lot about tactics in FreeFalcon manuals, I would just like to know how implementable they are in SF* sims. I know that SF* is labeled light sim, but every day it seems more capable to me.

Find Robert Shaws Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering, ( Amazon has it; if you look hard enough you can find a free PDF. download. ) Real world stuff, but as Streakeagle posted in a different thread ( over at ThirdWire ), the only people who call SF2 a lite sim are people who've never played it. Fighter Combat has plenty ( enough to make your head spin ) of stuff on both of the things you mentioned and LOTS more, and, much of it is applicable to SF2.

Find Robert Shaws Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering, ( Amazon has it; if you look hard enough you can find a free PDF. download. ) Real world stuff, but as Streakeagle posted in a different thread ( over at ThirdWire ), the only people who call SF2 a lite sim are people who've never played it. Fighter Combat has plenty ( enough to make your head spin ) of stuff on both of the things you mentioned and LOTS more, and, much of it is applicable to SF2.

Found it and reading it. Great stuff, thanks!:good: