Haha you got that right. And your mesh really does give the airframe justice. I think I will have to redraw the F-5E templates in 4096x4096 now  :biggrin:

Wow, fantastic work...!   :biggrin: 

I gotta agree .. Northrop designers were supposedly applying some "super duper advanced area rule physics??? .. or was it .. inverse square rule principles?????" to the fuselage and wing-tip tanks; some likenrd it to a coke bottle .. but to me it's just the ultimate female form:):)

The coke botttle makes a very aerodynamic shape,give it wings and propulsion and even a bottle will fly....area rule is industry standard in aerodynamics,and the brits were first to apply the principle to jet a\c...btw lol

Edited by russouk2004

Haha you got that right. And your mesh really does give the airframe justice. I think I will have to redraw the F-5E templates in 4096x4096 now  :biggrin:

You did some excellent work on your textures Mat, Regarding the F-5a, If left to my own devices I'd have broken up the textures some more and gone for even higher resolution (I really want to be able to clearly read those stencils:) .. but the projects will simply take too long and time is so precious!

The coke botttle makes a very aerodynamic shape,give it wings and propulsion and even a bottle will fly....area rule is industry standard in aerodynamics,and the brits were first to apply the principle to jet a\c...btw lol

You're right Rus, I've seen it on many aircraft like the F-105 etc.. which British planes had it?

You did some excellent work on your textures Mat, Regarding the F-5a, If left to my own devices I'd have broken up the textures some more and gone for even higher resolution (I really want to be able to clearly read those stencils:) .. but the projects will simply take too long and time is so precious!

You're right Rus, I've seen it on many aircraft like the F-105 etc.. which British planes had it?

BAe-Hawk-3view.gif

sepecat_jaguar-28380.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Sophocles,

Please, what is the status of your beauty-full F-5A? :blush:

Yesterday I remembered of your fighter mod when a friend, former French Armée de l'Air pilot, gave me these slides to digitize... :type:

Best regards,

Coupi

post-21538-0-78566600-1440244822_thumb.jpg

post-21538-0-30948700-1440244828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coupi

NACA's (forerunner of NASA) Richard Whitcomb came up the 'area rule' principle in December 1953. At the time it was highly classified. The best British example (and probably the earliest) is the Blackburn Buccaneer. Convair's designers must have wished that he'd tipped them off much earlier in the F-102's development as the Deuce's initial failure to go supersonic in level flight was an acute embarrassment to them.

Hello Sophocles,

Please, what is the status of your beauty-full F-5A? :blush:

Yesterday I remembered of you fighter mod when a friend, former French Armée de l'Air pilot, gave me these slides to digitize... :type:

Best regards,

Coupi

attachicon.gifNF-5A - 01.jpg

attachicon.gifNF-5A - 02.jpg

Hello Coupi!  Nice of you to ask.  I've got back into working on her again and have 99% completed the NF-5a version with the hook,F-5E style nose-gear and side louver panels, bottom fuselage air-scoops,chaff/flare dispensers.  NeverEnough is doing wonders with the Flight model too!

So far i've completed the standard export F-5a, the Norwegian air-force variant (with 2 different cockpits!!) and the aforementioned NF-5a .. I still hope to make the cockpit of the NF-5a and to make an Rf-5a variant. .. still plenty to do!!

Oh! and I've finally constructed and animated the canopy opening mechanism which because of the brain-strain, has probably shaved a few days off my life

post-37542-0-25603200-1440534369_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Great news, we're so happy to see all this stuff !!!

• Like 1

I wonder If any of our Dutch friends could tell me if this is some type of RWR??  I'd really like some more information .. oh, and ofcourse on the moving map deisplay on the left (which is covered in a nice sheet of aluminum:(

post-37542-0-75315900-1440537505_thumb.jpg

Sophocles, I have sent the picture to one of my Friends.

His father was a NF-5 and F-104 pilot for the Netherlands airforce (Klu).

A recon RF-5A will be ana amazing addition. Very useful for Iran-Iraq war, as IRIAF used them on tons of missions over Iraq and the Gulf.

Amazing work Sophocles :-)

Best

Dag

Sophocles, I have sent the picture to one of my Friends.

His father was a NF-5 and F-104 pilot for the Netherlands airforce (Klu).

Absolutely wondrous Happy308!!!!!  Would love some feedback from the guys who actually flew this beautiful plane!!

Amazing work Sophocles :-)

Best

Dag

Dag, you've been as instrumental in getting this far as anyone .. thankyou Sir for your detailed texture work and keen eye for detail!!

A recon RF-5A will be ana amazing addition. Very useful for Iran-Iraq war, as IRIAF used them on tons of missions over Iraq and the Gulf.

It's in the works Stratos!

• Like 1

It's in the works Stratos!

Looking forward to it!! It's a really beautiful version!

I wonder If any of our Dutch friends could tell me if this is some type of RWR??  I'd really like some more information .. oh, and ofcourse on the moving map deisplay on the left (which is covered in a nice sheet of aluminum:(

I got  the answer today,

It's a very simple Radar warning reciever. (But for the Dutch air force at the time It was state of the art.)

It would tell you what kind of radar was looking at you.

The four bottom lights are quadrants that tell you where the radar beam is comming from.

Top left means illumination by a pulse doppler radar.

Top right means illumination by continuous wave (cw) radar ( for example a Hawk battery)

Middle means illumination by a track while scan (TWS) radar

I hope this helps,

Looking forward to flying your NF-5

• Like 2

Nice info Happy308! It sounds state of the art for me too, after all it was pretty special item for the time.

I got  the answer today,

It's a very simple Radar warning reciever. (But for the Dutch air force at the time It was state of the art.)

It would tell you what kind of radar was looking at you.

The four bottom lights are quadrants that tell you where the radar beam is comming from.

Top left means illumination by a pulse doppler radar.

Top right means illumination by continuous wave (cw) radar ( for example a Hawk battery)

Middle means illumination by a track while scan (TWS) radar

I hope this helps,

Looking forward to flying your NF-5

This is the information I need .. thanks a lot Happy 308!!!!

• Like 1

Lets try again ;-)

f5-1.jpg.08829be13a6eac609474eafb79ea9bf3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Isn't there already F-5A available, granted I'm sure it's nowhere near this level of detail, but what am I missing?  Are you really trying to scratch build a model with what was supposed to be the level of detail Sophocles was going for?  

Edited by swambast

Is there project for RF-5, I think this is a good idea!