3 hours ago, baffmeister said:

Just an observation but I think the nose wheel extension system was used only on the CF-5, NF-5 and later F-5E.

Correct.. If you notice, I've modelled  different (F-5E style) forward undercarriage for the NF-5a together with all the other little changes specific to the NF-5a version (aux-doors mid-fuselage, under-fuselage airscoops, chaff/flare dispensers etc..)

4 hours ago, Wilches said:

The leading edge flaps, flaps and the nose gear oleos could work all together when setting the flaps for take-off for example.

I don't know if this is possible .. anyone know?

Perhaps the same animation. I really don't know.

animate flaps on their own as Flap mode...then add a small invisible box etc... link flap to it  and when you animate the "box" you can have it activate in take off mode seperately in a different anim slot key in game...

you can then add as many things to one slot\ and key press as you like

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image33.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Russ has a late model A3D????

• Like 3

17 hours ago, sophocles said:
21 hours ago, Wilches said:

The leading edge flaps, flaps and the nose gear oleos could work all together when setting the flaps for take-off for example.

I don't know if this is possible .. anyone know?

F-5a, CF-5a and NF-5a leading and trailing edge flaps were completely manual. As I'm sure you know, the NF-5A had a basic maneuver setting with a lockout to prevent deployment at excessive speeds but without an auto retract/blowback feature. For the F-5A and CF-5A the Flap1 setting was the leading edge flap only with the Flap2 setting being leading and trailing edge flaps. For both take off and landing the  full flap/flap2 setting was used.

I've been tinkering with F-5 FM's for awhile and here are some settings I'm using regarding leading/trailing edge flap angles and speeds which I think are correct but should be double checked.

F-5A and CF-5A

Leading edge: 2 positions only,  up or down 24deg. Limit speed 300kts.

Trailing edge: 2 positions only,  up or down 20deg. Limit speed 240kts. [not 100% sure about the speed]

NF-5A

Leading edge: 2 positions only,  up or down 24 deg. Limit speed 450kts/0.90 mach [NF-5A had a reinforced wing]

Trailing edge: 3 positions, up, down 8deg, down 20deg. Limit speed at 8deg is 450kts/0.90mach and at 20deg 300kts.

• Like 2

I think I misunderstood Wilches post but I did a check of an online CF-5A flight manual and here's what I found out about the nose strut extension system.

The strut extension switch was located outboard of the throttles and was used for take off only. The strut switch would be selected to extend during the pre take off checks. The strut switch was held in the extend position by a solenoid. After take off, when the gear was selected up, the solenoid on the strut extension switch would de-energize and the switch would automatically switch back to the normal position. In the normal position the hydraulic fluid used to extend the strut would bleed off and the strut would return to it's normal position. Using the strut extension added about 3 seconds to the gear retraction time, from 6 seconds to 9 seconds.

The strut extended by 10 inches, giving the plane an additional 3deg AOA during the take off roll.

I can't think of a way to model this in game but maybe someone will think of something. The simplest approach is to just build a model with an extended strut and leave it at that. I think it was done that way on earlier CF-5 and NF-5 models.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baffmeister said:

I think I misunderstood Wilches post but I did a check of an online CF-5A flight manual and here's what I found out about the nose strut extension system.

The strut extension switch was located outboard of the throttles and was used for take off only. The strut switch would be selected to extend during the pre take off checks. The strut switch was held in the extend position by a solenoid. After take off, when the gear was selected up, the solenoid on the strut extension switch would de-energize and the switch would automatically switch back to the normal position. In the normal position the hydraulic fluid used to extend the strut would bleed off and the strut would return to it's normal position. Using the strut extension added about 3 seconds to the gear retraction time, from 6 seconds to 9 seconds.

The strut extended by 10 inches, giving the plane an additional 3deg AOA during the take off roll.

I can't think of a way to model this in game but maybe someone will think of something. The simplest approach is to just build a model with an extended strut and leave it at that. I think it was done that way on earlier CF-5 and NF-5 models.

Thanks for that info on the CF-5a nose strut extension system..very interesting.  I only had the info regarding the 3 flap settings (UP, LE, FULL), but don't know if I've implemented the LE position (leading edge flap deployment only).. I'll have to check..:good:

F-5a_Flaps.jpg

Edited by sophocles
add a picture

21 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

animate flaps on their own as Flap mode...then add a small invisible box etc... link flap to it  and when you animate the "box" you can have it activate in take off mode seperately in a different anim slot key in game...

you can then add as many things to one slot\ and key press as you like

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image33.jpg

That's way over my head for the moment Russ:stars: .. I'll have to think about it some more even though I think that the nose gear extension on the NF-5a operated independently of flap operation..thanks!!

lol its quite basic ....

ok say flap....as you know its animated by its pivot yes....

to make it able to be used in conjunction with another control surface....you simply add a mesh (invisible) that is animated independent of the flaps anim slot  so basically you can control it

like so...on its own..

and with another surface like with aileron as flaperon...got it ?...lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wrench said:

Russ has a late model A3D????

couldnt possibly comment...if I did I would have to kill you....lol   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hmmm..ok then! Well, when you need decals, I have many. Since it doesn't seem that angelp will be finished the 3 (or is it 4?) versions we'd started in the CAF forums.

I also have books if you need them  

:drinks:

I have angelp files...what i don't have is impulse to start working on it.

• Haha 1

okee dokee...

wont be for while as ive still to finish the pak fa...not far off now...and a suprise...then will finish this....needs some work as it was given to me by a moddeler and im converting it.  plus a few other goodies.

111.jpg

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7

13 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

okee dokee...

wont be for while as ive still to finish the pak fa...not far off now...and a suprise...then will finish this....needs some work as it was given to me by a moddeler and im converting it.  plus a few other goodies.

Thanks so much, I look forward to flying as many variants of the A-3 as you can make please!

Edited by JosefK
We've been asked to remove images in our replies

back to the F-5A , the excellent aircraft model is getting some new 150 gallon drop tanks

Image0.thumb.jpg.de696145136c7da72443753bd629bfa8.jpg

Image1.thumb.jpg.7786a8b81827bef6155df18d44d3fa74.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.357d18203d4708c2c4e9047a51b9b9a8.jpg

Image3.thumb.jpg.32e7f11de414d2098435c1d495d209d2.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Art and engineering at their best!  Volker, you are the master..:bowdown2:

• Like 2

On 29/4/2019 at 2:00 AM, Wrench said:

hmmm..ok then! Well, when you need decals, I have many. Since it doesn't seem that angelp will be finished the 3 (or is it 4?) versions we'd started in the CAF forums.

I also have books if you need them  

:drinks:

Remember Venezuela is in turmoil right now, he's hearing gun shots from his windows, so please be patient.

• Like 2

The F-5A new tanks are super but would be better to have integrated 3d skinable tanks on model so we could have any desirable skin in same directory.

1 hour ago, Wilches said:

The F-5A new tanks are super but would be better to have integrated 3d skinable tanks on model so we could have any desirable skin in same directory.

that is exactly what we are doing (if possible) , i send all the F-5A or RF-5A items to sophocles and he will integrate this item to his model

• Like 8

Wow! So it's gonna be a masterpiece!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

that is exactly what we are doing (if possible) , i send all the F-5A or RF-5A items to sophocles and he will integrate this item to his model

This will add to a long line of additions and modifications that Volker has added/made to the model including ..

..a full set of specific weapons (HAF specific also)

..corrected landing gear animations

..re-constructed and refined canopy mechanism and animation (this was hard..)

..corrected, re-constructed tail-hook mechanism and animation

..corrected dive brake animation

..addition of braking (drag)parachute

..multitude of adjustments to the cockpit to get additional switches/functions operational

..currently working on totally scratch built RF-5a nose (I'd given up on this in frustration .. it's that hard!!)

.. lots of love, encouragement and a lot of patience..

and I've probably forgotten to mention half a dozen other things, so hat's off to the man!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, sophocles said:

..currently working on totally scratch built RF-5a nose (I'd given up on this in frustration .. it's that hard!!)

Please don't give up on the recon nose, I'm really looking forward to fly the Rf-5A. I will be here encouraging you!

the RF-5A nose is in work and the basic shape is done , the problem here is that this part is not as easy as the drop tanks and that modding is no longer my first prioity , firts is real life and my grandson , second is modding ,
so be patient i will make that recce-nose but not in 1 week

work i still have to finish

1. - Mirage F1 ecm and recce pods
  2. - F-5A recce nose
  3. - Tornado (guuruu) Brimstone and Brimstone tripple launcher
  4. - Spitfire Mk IX ( for Wrench )
  5. - F-4G series and Cockpits
  6. Weapon Pack 3
  7. RF-8 and Cockpit

this short list are only the most important items there are still many more that needs to be worked on , the Weapons pack 3 is already split in to 2 parts , Bombs / Missiles / etc. and Rocket pods and Rockets there are still so many items for each pack that i have to finish

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8