rjw

SE5a regrows a wing after both shot off

Well, how do I say this!......At the time I thought I might have had too many virtual beers, but thanks to FRAPS I know I'm alright!!!

You have to view the attached vid to believe it. Either those British ground crews are amazingly exceptional in response time or God occasionally lends a hand!

Whew!

No wonder the S.E.5 is so hard to beat - Albatros wings only ever break!

It isn't fair!

Yes it's a feature of early Aeroplanes that were made of wood. You see wood comes from trees - and obviously trees grow, so the early aeroplanes didn't need repairs like modern ones do, they just let the internal trees grow a bit - I remember reading about Mosquitos in WW2 being nearly impossible to shoot down because of all the wood they used.

As for the Albatros wings not growing back, this is also historically accurate - RFC maintenance stated that an Aeroplane should be watered after every third flight in order to keep the wood healthy so that it would grow when damaged, and this was also something that the French took up as early as 1916, however in Germany they were unaware of the technique, and only in September 1918 did they discover it, which of course by then was too late to have any major effect on the war - who knows, maybe if the Central powers had learned of the technique sooner then things might have turned out differently.

You can read more about it in 'Botanical Warfare on the Western Front, 1914 - 1918', by Professor J. P. J Booth Williamson Smith-Villiers MC

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Aaaaah - ha! Yes, that makes sense! :grin:

I just knew this post would generate some interesting replies!!

I should have know you "elite" and "valued" members would have the answers!!

Have a great day, I know you all just made mine!

Ahhhh - I think you actually encountered the Sopwith Salamander

Cheers

Shredward

Well at least you didn't have to shoot it down twice. :grin:

Well at least you didn't have to shoot it down twice. :grin:

Shiloh;

I think if it had another 200 feet to fall it just might have got it's lower wing as well and then who knows!!:cool:

where do you think, batman has the idea from, when falling or jumping from a roof...?:blink:

I bet many pilots in the Great War prayed for that

Did they have signs on the craft: "Careful - Fast growing wing!"

And an order from high command: "No picking apples during missions!"

God, we are silly! :drinks:

God, we are silly! :drinks:

Speak for yourself m8 :drinks:

Yes, really Olham, we're more barmy than silly. :pilotfly:

Love that smiley you added at the end of your comment. Is that your own creation? I haven't seen that one before. I'm still laughing half hour after seeing it so I just had to respond.

Robert, that little gem is actually in the OFF forums smiley choices. Look way towards the end of the full list and you will find it.

Barmy. Of course are we barmy! Did I say silly? How silly! I meant "barmy"! Silly me!! :crazy::help::flyer:

And of course, the serendipitous double-entendre of 'barmy' is 'Bar... me!' STE-WARD! SET 'EM UP MY GOOD MAN!