Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

How will you fly OFF 2 when you first get it?

The Devs have promised that the AI is going to have much improved low level combat skills. No more hedge hopping for easier kills or escapes. Also, they said that the AI pilots will see, think and react using real WWI maneuvers. Coupled with the improved flight and damage models and two seaters flying to give their rear gunner the best shot, I have to think that flying OFF 2 for the first time is as close as I will ever get to the way actual WWI pilots felt going out on missions for the first time. They had some basic flight training and they have been told some things about their aircraft and what the enemy planes can do, but really, until they experience it for themselves it's all just a big question mark. I want that fear and uncertainty. So for this reason I am going to dive right into the campaign mode and not try my hand at getting used to the planes in Quick Combat first. I want to find out how hard the enemy fights and what tricks they have to use against me while my pilots life is at stake in the campaign.

So that is #1. I will fly campaign missions right away. I will probably start with an early bird craft, Allied fighter, and see how many missions I can survive. Probably not many. I may start two careers and alternate between the Germans and the Allies.

#2 is that I am going to fly with no labels, hud, warnings, etc. It's going to be my eyes and ears against the enemies. I am looking forward to getting "bounced" and how I and my flight responds.

#3 is I will use the Claim forms to see how many kills I can actually get credit for, as opposed to just getting automatic credit with the easy Claims system.

#4 I will fly as Creaghorn and Olham do, which is for my own survival and the survival of my men. Since OFF 2 tracks men and planes, it will add a lot of realism to focus on bringing everyone back home.

#5 I will work my way up the ranks so that hopefully, if I live long enough, one day I will have earned the right to lead my own squadron. If I get lost or separated from my flight, that will add to the fear of finding my way home alone!

How about you guys? When we finally get OFF 2 in our hands, how do you plan to first experience it?

Allied or German?

Fighters or two seaters?

Quick Combats or Campaigns?

More forgiving settings so you can live long enough to experience more or hard core "DiD" settings?

What special plans do you have to get the most out of what the Devs have spent years cooking up for us?

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I plan on flying OFF2 the same way I've been flying OFF: No TAC or onscreen aids of any kind; everything set on realistic; no use of in-sim map but rather 'paper' maps only; roll of the dice to determine outcomes of crashes; survival flying for myself and my wingmen, (bring em home alive); and no warp. I can only imagine how much tougher this is going to be in OFF2, and I can't wait. :smile:

I'll probably fly some quick combat missions to see how everything looks like and how the new AI, FMs and DMs feel compared to P3. Then I'll examine the campaign mode system and see which time periods, units, and aircraft are now available. Then I'll start a two-seater career from the very beginning (1915, I imagine) and see where it goes from there.

I've always been a Quick Combat flier. That probably won't change.

I'll start with some QC to get a feel for the different craft and get used to the new AI.

Then probably an SE5a-Viper campaign and perhaps a D.VII or Dr.1 campaign. For the past few months I've been committed to no TAC, labels, etc. so will continue on with that as the immersion has been fantastic. I'd like to use an actual watch to keep time so I don't have to use a visual aid to see the time of day after a victory - (for claims purposes). Of course that would mean no warping. I want to also print out the skins so I can identify enemies by paint job rather than turning on labels quickly. I may just use the map in-flight until I can get organized with some actual maps like Olham and Lou use.

Well, it's only 2 weeks from today so I better start preparing. :salute:

I'll start with the SE5, see that it handles nothing like the one I'm used to and stop using it.

THEN ILL FLY LIKE A MAD MAN!

I'll continue flying with no aids - but I bet it will be much harder to survive.

I will fly at least one serious French and one serious British campaign.

I intend to fly it the first time exactly like you, Hellshade. Although I'll probably include the same dice rolls I currently use for my OFF RFC/RAF campaign... whenever I get back to it that is. I'd like to start out as a rookie Brit or Yank (will there be Yanks right away?) in 1918. I want to throw myself right into the maelstrom and see what happens.

@Lou, out of curiosity (since I do the same) what "rolling" system do you use?

I tend to "test" the AI and flight models of games until it is no fun. Not this time. In OFF2 I am going to start a career with no aids and just ENJOY.

A real pilot wouldn't get to test the AI, so neither will I. Straight into a campaign. It will be fun to feel like a rookie again, and have that experience of learning as I go.

All aids turned off and paper maps only, of course :)

I have a dual monitor setup now. Paper maps may be a bit too hardcore for me (and uncomfortable given my setup) but I can have a digi-map set up on my second screen. What do you guys think of that? And any suggestions for where I can get such a map for OFF-2 usage?

I also finally have a TrackIR so this will be purrfection.

Javito, there are some very good maps available in the OFF downloads section. Also, when I say 'paper' map I mean that I have the map I am using loaded up on my second computer as well. Here is a link to another thread where I briefly outlined my method:

Hazebrouck Map Post

Yeah, flying by map is as close to the real thing as I get.

I also have a second, older 4:3 monitor, which is fine for that.

I open the map in my drawing program and draw lines for the course I want to use

(often a bit different to the straight lines - I follow rails and rivers, or lakes are helpful).

Borrowed the idea from Lou, to write any special notes of events at the spots in the maps,

where they occured.

The railways and lakes are very correct - I have often paused right over a lake, or railway

crossing or bridge, to note the latitude and longitude - and checked that in Google Maps.

And it was mostly very correct, or at least very close.

That is so epic. K, you guys a right I am definitely going to be flying that way.

Playing the first OFF2 campaign the first time will certainly be one of the all-time epic simming experiences. I'm already terrified for the life of my future pilot and I haven't even made him yet...heat.gif

I'm already terrified for the life of my future pilot and I haven't even made him yet...

Keep that sense of alertness, of being on the watch-out; the fear for "your" life -

and the feller may have a chance to survive the war.

Interesting question,

initially I suppose I will be tooing and froing between workshop

and QC, adjusting settings and tweaking to get OFF2 running right.

This bit, I find, can be great fun.

Then it will be into campaigns sans aids same as P3.

Usually only fly RFC/RAF scout/2 seater.

Have flown a couple of German careers mainly because

I really like the EV/VIII. Will definitely fly this type in OFF2.

Many more possibilities - Morane missions over the Somme

for one :good:

Not anticipating h/ware probs but will upgrade if

needed.

Now that you mention the Somme, it'd be fun to recreate Cecil Lewis' career. Do some flying over the Somme, transfer to SE5s for '17... definitely an option

Now that you mention the Somme, it'd be fun to recreate Cecil Lewis' career. Do some flying over the Somme, transfer to SE5s for '17... definitely an option

+1, Javito,

but I don't think my alter ego would last as long as Lewis

to make it to SEs.

Just like yourself Hellshade..right into Campaign...DID..probably British to start..early date enlistment...lock myself in my office, and fly for hours and hours ;>)

Royce

:good:

Interesting question,

initially I suppose I will be tooing and froing between workshop

and QC, adjusting settings and tweaking to get OFF2 running right.

This bit, I find, can be great fun.

Then it will be into campaigns sans aids same as P3.

I'm with RamblingSid on this one. Want to make sure Workshop is tweaked to optimum before campaigning so I will use QC in free flight mode to start. Hopefully there won't be too much tweaking necessary!

I'm looking forward to just jumping into my favourite aeroplane - Nieuport 11 - and just cruise around the countryside. Want to check out all the landscape changes and get my bearings before I even consider setting out on combat missions.

This thread has emphasised an aspect of OFF that I have long been impressed with. The variety of approaches that people can take to flying in OFF and still get such enjoyment out of it.

From quick combat flyers, through shorter period fighter campaigners, to a long haul plodder like myself - running two seater pilots in chronological order through the war.

I don't know whether this is a peculiarity of OFF, but it is certainly a strength.