Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

A little terrain adivce needed...

so, based on GE and Pureblue's terrain, how green really is the eastern Agean/Anatolia region??

revamping one of the old terrains (see screenie below -- it shows too much desert and mountain). Mind you, I'm sticking to the desert tileset due to libya needing such. Altough some thought has been given to using JSF_Aggie's enchaned desert like I did for eatrea/ethiopia - if I have enough of the right tiles (casue I'm lazy and and really don't want to make more....)

so, from our friends/memebers that have been or live in the region ... advice please!

edit: targeting will go no higher than Athens, so some stuff will be needed to add on the east coast of Turkey

TIA

Edited by Wrench

agreed if your doing a current terrain go google earth and zoom out. if your doing an older era then ya might want input from a local.

without looking at GE, dusty dirty green

Wrench I think you made the terrain more desert than it really is. Greece is mostly a mountainous country but has some plain areas. Search for physical maps and you will see it. As for Turkey, I think its west coast (east coast of anatolia terrain) is green.

If you need help or information about the terrain ask me!

Edited by tiopilotos

The terrain may show sharp contrasts at short distances. I have spent some holidays in Rhodes and nearby islands, and some others sailing around the Datça Peninsula and Bay of Bodrum just north of Rhodes (the peninsula here seeming strangely split into four islands!). The peninsula is underpopulated, sharply montainous, with an almost deserted coast but Datça and a few other small places, and short vegetation. Wanders on the trails to the inner Anatolian villages only showed dust and miniscule terraced pale orchards. The north coast of the Bay of Bodrum looked greener, with woods and a few small green islands. The slopes north of Bodrum look green too, but driving to the airport, the vegetation remains short and scarce. On the other hand, Rhodes looked quite a green island from every high lookout I could reach. The central backbone ridge is heavily wooded, and the decent density of population makes the flat coastline a largely cultivated place, with delineating hedges or scrubs. I could see also that the island may have had its share of summer forest fires, a yearly Greek speciality in the Euro news proving that the country has much to burn (rarely heard of that on the other hand in Eastern Anatolia). Populated East of Kos Island also looked quite planted to me, even if a paler green in my memory.

Edited by Capitaine Vengeur

Hello Wrench, basically the eastern/southeastern Anatolia can be represented with something in between what I have in my mod and and what you have in your first post. It's pretty varied in reality so with the desert/germany tilesets we have the most one can do is to use a mix of them..

Umut, right, the terrain variety is a bit too much for terrain engine and tileset offering

well, I took a slight "different" route .... used the tileset I swore up and down I'd never use again (I reallly DO hate it!!) Plus imported/create/modified some of my other 'special' tiles

below are 2 views of athens; i don't particualry LIKE the mountain tiles ... and really don't want to make another set, but if you all think they're too 'purpley' (??), i can figure something out. Don't forget, those same mountains will be showing up in Egypt and Libya.. There is an alternate tile, thats more brown, but without all the nice 3d-ish 'folds and furrows' (ie: valley tiles)

If someone wants to/is doing a campaign for this terrain, I can post the order of battle of the Aegean Strike board game (NATO vs Warsaw Pact in the Eastern Med) for inspiration.

there was Max188's "purple-less" version of the Israel tileset

Good choice IMO Kevin, one could use stock or slightly modify my HR tiles there to fit the region better (looks at self)