Sign in to follow this  
navychief

I miss my DSL.

We wanted to move further out in the country, away from everyone; and so we did. Just before we moved, I made arrangements with BellSouth for my new phone service; however, I didn't check on DSL, as I can't afford to have it installed just yet.

I never thought to check on availability of DSL in my area. I simply "assumed" that since the phone service provider was BellSouth, that DSL would surely be offered.

Wrong.

Last night I did an availability check, through BellSouth's website, and was shocked to find out that DSL is not available in my area. I spent over an hour on the phone with those idiots this morning, being transferred from one bozo to the next; and none of them could give me a phone number to call whoever is in charge of planning for future DSL installations.

Oh well, I was definitely spoiled with DSL at my previous home. I am so, so thankful for at least having Dialup, but I am more than a little upset that I can't get DSL even if I could afford it right now.

The only way I can get DSL now, is through a satellite connection through Earthlink; and they want an enormous amount of cash to get that started. Not to mention the $70 per month connection fee, once it is established!

And so, I LOVE living in the country. But I miss online flying with DSL!!!

Enough bellyachin' for now.

Navy Chief

post-169-1101768633_thumb.jpg

Don't ever buy satellite Internet there is too much propagation and sunstorms heavily affect your connection speed. I can't even use the Internet unless it's cable. It’s not worth my time to sit and wait for some thing to happen and load :search:

Edited by lexicon

Chief, I want you to call yor local cable company and see if they have broadband access. If you are ble to get cable service, you should be able to get broadband via cable. Call and check, and if they don't have it yet, ask when they will.

I hope you can get fast service at some point, because dialup just plain sucks. :)

-Skater

Hiya Chief, Glad to hear all is well for you pal and your out in the country. Had cable for a while and loved it but it was a bit pricey for me. Went back to dialup which sucked after living the good life. One note however; if you can get V92 dialup, its far better than the older protocols. Finally the phone comapny was able to get dsl to my area. It took them 2 years but they finally made it. So now Im back to high speed, though not as fast as cable. Who knows how long you may have to wait for dsl availability. Skater is right, your best bet and hope may be cable. If the main line is anywhere near you, the cable company will usually run a feeder line to you at a minimal cost. Good luck pal.

I feel your pain, Chief.

I've been stuck at various bases for the past 5 years that have not had access to broadband. I spent 4years at FE Warren AFB in Wyoming and am now in England. Warren AFB was just starting to install broadband when I PCS'd. Here in rural East Anglia, I've been stuck with dialup for the past 18 months. There's light at the end of the tunnel, though. Our DSL exchange will finally go live in February, and I'm one of the first on the list to be hooked up. Not that I've been pestering British Telecom or anything... ;)

Thanks for all your replies, shipmtes.

I wish I could get cable modem service, but even that isn't available here.

One thing is for certain, however; I am going to pester the phone company. Constantly.

Navy Chief

you might wanna give www.dslreports.com a try. on the left click on the find link to look up different dsl companies in your area.