Sign in to follow this  
bmarshall

Help for a veteran

My father is a verteran of the Vietnam War and was a mechanic on F-4 Phantoms aboard the U.S.S. kitty Hawk. For the past several years he was wanted to take a backseat ride in an F-4 Phantom. We live in the Houston area near Elington Air Force base. It has been several years since I have seen one fly over. Does anyone know how I can set this up for him for an unforgettable Christmas gift He is getting older now, so I do not know how long it will be before he cannot do this. If anyone knows anywhere I can start it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance

Unfortunately, the only F-4s flying anymore in the US are drones used for target practice. They've been retired from active duty and National Guard since around 96. The German AF even pulled them out of Holloman AFB in October to retire them.

The last places flying drones I believe are Tyndall AFB in FL, Holloman AFB in NM, and Point Magu NAS in CA. The only one I'm really sure of is Tyndall. They fly manned drones for targetting practice for awhile before they modify them to be unmanned and shot down.

Not to sound too negative, but it's nearly impossible to set up a ride in a military fighter. My only advice would be to contact Tyndall AFB and see for yourself.

http://www.tyndall.af.mil/

Hopely for you and your dad can he makes his dream come treu.

But even as Weasel_87FIS says, the last Phantoms are drones/targets.

And I thought also that are one of the few still flying.

In a magazine Aircombat (I think) was an article about it. I saw it last in the bookstore (in Europe)

Wish you luck with the search and more luck with trying to get the flight for your dad.

Salute

Dutchy

Not to sound too negative, but it's nearly impossible to set up a ride in a military fighter. My only advice would be to contact Tyndall AFB and see for yourself.

There are a few places where you can get a ride,not in a jet fighters as I understand but its a pretty peppy a/c that they use for managed dogfighting...