Olham

"Harrods" had them - "Aviation Boots"

Was searching for something completely different, when I found this little advert.

Seems like if you want to make money, you need to advertise even for minorities.

I wonder how many of those were ever sold?

And does this advert mean, that you didn't get them from the RFC or RNAS ???

Edited by Olham

Olham, IIRC, British pilots were given 50 pounds from the Government and were expected to go out and buy their own flying kit.

Ah, okay, thanks Lou! Amazing what you could get for 50 Pounds back then!

I woulda spent £1 on gear..and the rest on my Fare to the Bahamas!

I think it was still quite common in many WW1 armies that officers were expected to pay for at least some of their equipment. It was standard practice earlier in history that officers, who usually came from the upper classes of society, paid for their uniforms, boots, hats etc. Poor rank and file got their stuff from the state.

I think it was still quite common in many WW1 armies that officers were expected to pay for at least some of their equipment. It was standard practice earlier in history that officers, who usually came from the upper classes of society, paid for their uniforms, boots, hats etc. Poor rank and file got their stuff from the state.

I have just re-read "Goodbye to All That" by Robert Graves. When he was wounded for the first time his revolver was stolen (most likely by the RAMC 'Rob all my Comrades') and he thought of buying another one. But he decided to carry a rifle in future so as not to look like an officer to a sniper.