Sign in to follow this  
irati

Janes USAF Lagging on Modern Systems

I recently Installed and tried to play Janes Usaf on Windows 7 but i'm having some problems, the game is lagging and in the option menu Trilinear Filtering, Objects Mip-Map and Terrain Multitexture are grayed out.

My Specs are:

Windows 7 Home basics 32bit

Amd Athlon II X2 260 3.2 GHz

4gb ram, 3gb usable

Ati radeon hd series 5750 1gb ram

Hier is a link to a Clip that shows my Problem!

Edited by irati

I experienced the same problem once with Unreal II. I think the main problem are the multi-core CPUs. The engines of the games were designed for single-core CPUs. With multi-core CPUs, the information of the game's engine is processed much faster than the game could handle it. I think that's why the game is stuttering that much.

A theory, since I don't know enough of the PC's program architecture.

Edited by NazGhul

I experienced the same problem once with Unreal II. I think the main problem are the multi-core CPUs. The engines of the games were designed for single-core CPUs. With multi-core CPUs, the information of the game's engine is processed much faster than the game could handle it. I think that's why the game is stuttering that much.

A theory, since I don't know enough of the PC's program architecture.

I gave up on using my older games on my newer machine, even after dumbing it up with the play the game in the older windows option. Best bet find and older machine at a swap meet, flea market. I use 2 older computers a 1999 dell (was my moms she upgraded about a year ago windows 2000) and a 2004 HP windows XP. All the Janes, MIG Alley, similar games I run on the Dell, all the SFP1 family, LOMAC, PAC Fighters, IL2, Microsoft's sims, etc I use the HP. Seriously if your PC could talk, I'm sure it would be saying somthing like what the "F" is this? Tasts like SH!T, what are you feeding me? Whats the experation date on this crap?

Also check your task manager see what programs are running when you are playing/not playing could have some background stuff mucking up the works that you could shut down. Look for a patch people have written patches for newer windows O.S., user beware though the patch may be specific to a certain type of PC/model/video card etc. Disconnect from the internet, unplug your PC from the internet shut all anti virus and windows fire wall off. Anti virus' and fire walls can affect older software that was written before AVs existed. Some anti virus' dig in deep and want to watch over everything. Then scan disk defrag. Try that. If that doesn't work go old school. Just noticed that you have the speech at the top of the screen shut that off, christ that could be the problem right there.

Edited by MAKO69

Jane's USAF never liked Windows 2000 or its later WinXP derivative. It was in the transition from Win98 to 32bit WinNT based OSes that the menus became problematic. If you hang out at the Gulf Knight forums, you can get comprehensive support for Jane's USAF:

http://www.gulfknight.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=238

Jane's USAF never liked Windows 2000 or its later WinXP derivative. It was in the transition from Win98 to 32bit WinNT based OSes that the menus became problematic. If you hang out at the Gulf Knight forums, you can get comprehensive support for Jane's USAF:

http://www.gulfknight.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=238

I deff notice Janes likes my older machine w/Win 2000 better than the Win XP machine. This is true for all those great Janes's titles.

Edited by MAKO69

Jane's USAF really loves Win98SE the most. Everything worked as well as it could aside from some longstanding AI and FM problems. I thoroughly enjoyed Jane's USAF until I got SFP1 at Walmart. Even in the flawed, limited press-release version sold at Walmart, SFP1 was clearly better than Jane's USAF in most ways. Of course, if you wanted to fly modern planes, use a built-in mission editor, have decent multiplayer, and inflight refueling, then Jane's USAF was still the way to go. TK has finally provided a mission editor and has provided modern planes up to the F-16, but rather than improve multiplayer, it was deleted and inflight refueling remains out of the question. So, if you can live with dated graphics, slow ballet flight, quirky flight models, and suicidal AI that bounce off of a magical barrier rather than crash into the ground, Jane's USAF is the perfect game for you. Always loved the Jane's USAF music, user interface, training missions, ramp starts, and the free Thunderbirds addon. Many fond memories!

Edited by streakeagle

Never mind, i brought out my old PC with Windows 98SE on it. Run smoothly, only problem, no Widescreen resolution.