Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

WWI Victory Medal With Aviation Bar

Here's the latest addition to my gathering of Great War remembrances: A US WWI Victory Medal with the oft seen 'St. Mihiel' and "Meuse-Argonne' bars, AND the ultra rare, (and unofficial), Army 'Aviation' bar.

WWI_Victory_Medal_With_Aviation_Bar_001.jpg

Me so happy! :smile:

Are you saying this is a very rare Original even?

In this case, congratulations, Lou - they are in the right hands with you, and they seem to know that, and find you.

I guess, it is about time to go shoe-shopping with your good wife by now? :grin:

Great job, Lou. I've never even heard of the "Aviation Bar" used on the Army ribbon. And the suspension ribbon on that one looks to be in great shape! Bravo!:drinks:

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Olham, yes Sir, an original medal, ribbon, and bars. While original US WWI Victory Medals are still relatively easy to find in this country, and at affordable prices, the Army 'Aviation' bar is VERY hard to come across. Probably a good idea too about the shoe shopping. :biggrin:

Jarhead, there was an official Navy 'Aviation' bar which is rectangular with the rope edging, (like all the Navy bars are for this medal). The Army version however was an unofficial item that US soldiers either purchased in France and added to their medal on their own, or did the same thing once they got back to the states, buying the bar through the American Legion or VFW. Also, the ribbon on this one is the original silk item, and as you say is still in amazingly good shape after all this time.

What a fine example, Lou! :drinks:

Have you thought about another uniform project? I'm sure the French uniform is feeling lonely in your corner. Think about all the other nations and their uniforms that took part in the Great War: Britain, Russia, Belgium, Germany, Italy... :grin:

I would need a much larger room with far more corners, Hasse Wind. :biggrin:

What a fine example, Lou! :drinks:

Have you thought about another uniform project? I'm sure the French uniform is feeling lonely in your corner. Think about all the other nations and their uniforms that took part in the Great War: Britain, Russia, Belgium, Germany, Italy... :grin:

Try one of these to keep the French Uniform from feeling lonely Please note the Off Duty OFF pilots in the balcony during the opening act,

Carrick,

I can't hear that song without thinking of this:

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Damn, "Lemmings"... There was one level I couldn't get anyone saved in time - almost brought me "round the bend"!

Still remember one level password: HUGYO SUBS

Crazy, how we sometimes kill our time...