Ok I'm all for realism in gmaes but why is it that Soviet ECM/Chaff & flares render western missiles useless?

I've just flown two intercepts over NA one in an F-4 the other in the Tornado F.3, all in my flights launched 19 sidewinders, 6 Skyflash and 16 Sparrow E's... for the sum total of kill one friendly F.3, most of the damn things didnt even track. All of my shots were within parameters, can't really speak for the AI.

The Russians on the other hand launched about 6 AA7s and got 3 F-4s and one F.3.

I've also recently seen a flight of 4 Phantoms unload everything they had on a singe Tu-22 and not score a single hit.

Surely this can't be right?

Craig

Ok I'm all for realism in gmaes but why is it that Soviet ECM/Chaff & flares render western missiles useless?

I've just flown two intercepts over NA one in an F-4 the other in the Tornado F.3, all in my flights launched 19 sidewinders, 6 Skyflash and 16 Sparrow E's... for the sum total of kill one friendly F.3, most of the damn things didnt even track. All of my shots were within parameters, can't really speak for the AI.

The Russians on the other hand launched about 6 AA7s and got 3 F-4s and one F.3.

I've also recently seen a flight of 4 Phantoms unload everything they had on a singe Tu-22 and not score a single hit.

Surely this can't be right?

Craig

Try flying Red planes and watch the very same thing happen, often even worse...

AI cheats, their countermeasures are as I like to say as effective as ejecting flaming B-52's out of their dispensers...

Best two flight tactics is sending flight #2 strait ahead and ordering them to engage enemy flight(s) head on, then you brake away with your flight at high speed, circle around the fight so I end up positioned atleast 20km from the fight, the high speed and off angle(watch your rwr) helps you evade enemy AI missiles(because they will still be in "kill the player" madness mode), then once you position, first pick them off with SAHM/AHM and then just clean up what's left.

I know what I do is not overly realistic(alt+n gives me more fuel options) but it works...

Starting to loose the will to play... its friggin pointless :blink:

Time to jump inot the ini's and zapp the ECM me thinks.

On a side note went out in an F-8 and bagged a few Badgers after they loosed off their missiles.... 3/4 of the fleet sunk including the carrier: "Outstanding Sucsess, 5 Primary targets were destroyed"... would love to know what qualifies as a failure these days :rofl:

Craig

Tell me about it. Flew a F-100 fighter sweep in Operation Quick Sand earlier. Both myself and my wingman got shot down without shooting down any MiGs. Debrief then tells me I was awarded the Purple Heart for my, ahem, 'bravery'. :blink: I said "f*ck that" and decided to refly the mission.

At least I was able to sort out that weird promotion which has you ending up a Lt. Colonel at the end of the campaign. My rule basically is that if I'm getting an award or a promotion I'd at least like to think I'd earned it.

Are you guys using stock TW weapons? I had the same problem with a stock install but then I ported over my modded weapons pack from my SF2E install and things are much much better now.