Taking a little time to actually remind myself why I mod, I've been playing the NA campaign. On the way home from a successful CAP in my F-14 (one stinking Bear. The wingie picked him off), I'm hearing radio calls about some guy with a Mig all over him. Cycling through F6, I find out it's one of a flight of four A-7 Corsairs on an outbound strike being harassed by a Flogger. The -23 guns the poor bastard down and as he goes crashing into the ocean, his flight leader sends out the call that they are under attack and could use some assistance. I'm expecting this to be the usual slaughter until something very abnormal happens. The lead A-7, still fully bombed up, breaks hard right while the rest of the flight continues level with the Mig in pursuit. The leader rolled back left as the Flogger passes by, performs a quick yo-yo for some separation. At this point, the #3 corsair took a minor hit from the Mig and was screaming about it, but the leader levels out behind the Mig and, still fully bombed up, blasts him out of the sky with a sidewinder. He then resumes his lead of the flight and they hit their target at... somewhere with a half-dozen syllables and no vowels in the name before flying home.

I wonder when more aggressive self-defense was added, because I have never seen a flight of AI strikers engage an attacking aircraft, and certainly not while keeping bombs slung. Gotta admit, it was pretty nice though.

...hmmm.

...indeed.

SidDogg

Love it. Love everything about it. A-7 Mig Killers? Why not, this game is our alternate version of reality!! :grin:

Maybe it was a Crusader in disguise... :grin:

Hey, don't knock the Corsair! Call me crazy, but I'd much rather take on MiGs in a SLUF than a gun-less, slat-less Navy Phantom. laugh.gif

Nut yeah, the Ai for strike flights is so much better now. I still remember when they'd dump all their ordnance at the slightest threat. Now they'll not only stick to their mission as long as possible, but fight back too. No more feeling like I have to do everything myself during campaigns.

I've seen A-7's engage attackers with sidewinders, in my June 2010 patched SF2E install... but the additional behavior you describe is something new as far as I have seen. I like what I'm hearing.

Isn't that just something!? That AI pilot flyes better than me! rofl.gif

Happened to me too. Watched a Jaguar A chase a MiG-23 half way across Iraq after it attacked the Jag's flight. Don't think it made the kill though, either ran out of ammo or one of the millions of AIM-54s or AIM-7s killed it. Was still really cool to see the strike package defending itself.

Taking a little time to actually remind myself why I mod, I've been playing the NA campaign. On the way home from a successful CAP in my F-14 (one stinking Bear. The wingie picked him off), I'm hearing radio calls about some guy with a Mig all over him. Cycling through F6, I find out it's one of a flight of four A-7 Corsairs on an outbound strike being harassed by a Flogger. The -23 guns the poor bastard down and as he goes crashing into the ocean, his flight leader sends out the call that they are under attack and could use some assistance. I'm expecting this to be the usual slaughter until something very abnormal happens. The lead A-7, still fully bombed up, breaks hard right while the rest of the flight continues level with the Mig in pursuit. The leader rolled back left as the Flogger passes by, performs a quick yo-yo for some separation. At this point, the #3 corsair took a minor hit from the Mig and was screaming about it, but the leader levels out behind the Mig and, still fully bombed up, blasts him out of the sky with a sidewinder. He then resumes his lead of the flight and they hit their target at... somewhere with a half-dozen syllables and no vowels in the name before flying home.

I wonder when more aggressive self-defense was added, because I have never seen a flight of AI strikers engage an attacking aircraft, and certainly not while keeping bombs slung. Gotta admit, it was pretty nice though.

Well IMHO, the A-7 can be a good dogfighter if you keep her fast. I regularly engage migs after I hit my strike flight's target. I see that TK put some new AI code from your post... Interesting.

Falcon